Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

E30S50

Nice bro!

Is the inside/cage all matte black?

Update, no pics

We have ditched the factory ecu and have gone aftermarket, This has been for a number of reason's, but mainly because..... to get the EWS working involved buying a new EWS unit from BMW, but that woulden't solve the problem that it could fail at any moment which happend IIRC on paul mills car when it suddenly decided to reset while on testing and woulden't start.

This has ment the entire car loom has been taken out and only a few things remain, I think the only wire to the rear is for the brake lights, has saved on a fair bit of weight :) it now also has only 3 guages... Revs, oil pressure and Water Temp, keeps things simple

also now there is a fuel cell where the spare wheel used to go, with a dipstick for measuring the fuel level

I'll try get some pics tommorow and if all goes well it will be seing the track this comming friday.

Edited by Jamez

Update with Pic's :)

Pics go as

1, Pic of rear

2, Top view of fuel tank

3, Bottom View

4, Inside View of E34 Brake Master cylinder

5, Engine side

6, New Gauge cluster

7, New Ecu (Autronic SM4)

8, Old Wiring

Edit, should have a dyno chart up by Wednesday night also :)

post-3670-1252113417.jpg

post-3670-1252113422.jpg

post-3670-1252113428.jpg

post-3670-1252113435.jpg

post-3670-1252113439.jpg

post-3670-1252113442.jpg

post-3670-1252113448.jpg

post-3670-1252113455.jpg

Edited by Jamez

How does it effect your braking with the booster removed? is it just heavier on the pedal? guess you havent tried it yet.

Looks staunch. couldn't have picked a better color for it.! imo.

Edited by 323e30

in theory it should be a bit harder to push, but as you have stated haven't had a chance to try it yet, can't wait till Friday :)

Update, no pics

The whole thing is wired up and ready to go..................one problem, it doesn't really go :lol:

They have traced the problem back to the ECU, it was running on 3/6 cylinders and those 3 were only injecting fuel every 3 rotations.

Apparently this is a common problem that will be fixed by a software update. (we'll thats what the manufacture said)

So tomorrow it will be off to the dyno, once the ECU is updated in the morning :) will probably have the video camera so i'll post up dyno runs tomorrow night :)

Cutting it a bit fine eh.

Edited by Jamez

and.... they only got the update from auz last night, there going to tune it today, best case scenario is that it will be ready by late this afternoon :unsure:, not looking good :(

but there is still a chance.

good and bad news, Its finally going on all 6, but........ they ran out of time to get the fuel maps sorted so it wont be racing this weekend, should be out of the dyno early next week. This should give some time to prepare it properly and not rush the build.

Bring on the track days :)

This car just doesn't want to work without a fight.

They were running it up on the dyno then they noticed the exhaust cam Vanos is not adjusting but the intake is working fine. There going to take the Vanos apart as it suspected that there is an oil blockage in the Vanos, apparently its a common problem that occurs you leave a Vanos engine sitting for a long time.

Will be going to the track day on Saturday 26th then again on 16th of October at Puki

Hopefully will be testing at Hampton Downs at the end of October :)

Then competing at the Lotus meeting on the 1st of November at Hampton Downs.

Also looking for semi-slicks, WTB thread

Edited by Jamez

Wheels and tyres :)

Racing Dynamics RGQ 17x8.5 ET15 with Semi Slick's

BBS RX 17x8 ET10 with Wets

post-3670-1253499355.jpg

post-3670-1253499365.jpg

Edited by Jamez

Tyres and rims came to a total $1500 all together, didn't cost that much at all when compared to the cost of new rims

Cars still at the dyno, expecting to find out in a day or two if the Vanos has been fixed.

Edited by Jamez

Mean Jamez coming along nicely! looks awesome that fuel tank and the car all painted up. Cant wait to see it running now.

Awesome.

Quick Q - was there a reason why you went for a E34 BMC with the long flexi rod instead of using a floormounted wilwood/tilton, with balance bar, etc? I guess it's cheaper, but perhaps not so much in the grand scheme of things?

Quick answer, It's way cheaper, almost free.

I know that the e30 will suffer from the extra travel of having the BMC on the otherside of the car, I think a uk car mag found there is a delay of about 25mm from the pedal being pushed, just means you will have to press it a bit earlier :)

Quick answer, It's way cheaper, almost free.

I know that the e30 will suffer from the extra travel of having the BMC on the otherside of the car, I think a uk car mag found there is a delay of about 25mm from the pedal being pushed, just means you will have to press it a bit earlier :)

Everyone askes me the same question!

I'm personally perplexed as to why everone is so fixated on this. After months of driving my setup, It's far sharper than the standard brakes and once the car / brakes heat up at speed its nice to have a little give. Otherwise all you end up doing is locking it up too easy. I find in real world terms, you can ease the brakes on (or punch / stab them on) and they wont bite you in the ass.

The cars running a non ABS setup so its a must for me :)

Quick update with a VIDEO :)

So the car is back at racefx with a clutch problem, it changes gear without the clutch, neutral works and the clutch slave cylinder is doing its thing, its just the pedal feels like its got heaps of air if you get where im coming from.

The gearbox bellhousing is making a odd squeaky noise which might be the source of the problem.

Should be back at the dyno either tomorrow or Wednesday for its final tune then its done :), might goto the track day this Saturday if its ready.

Sounds pretty good, the camera doesn't pick up on how loud it is.

mate this is looking mint , sort out the niggles and its going to be insane

Quick update

Bad news, its blown the 6spd gearbox :(

Good news - we've been able to borrow a 6spd gearbox in the meantime while repair's are made, also the engine is getting 330hp at the flywheel on the first base tune.

Don't know when it will be ready to hit the track, maybe next Friday :)

Edited by Jamez