Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

E30S50

Keeps getting better mate ,well done.

Am keen to check out your drop tank some time.

A nice moving shot from a recent photoshoot of James car @ Hampton downs. First time ive tried attaching my dSLR to the car :D ..thanks assault for driving the camera car.

More to come in the 2010 Calendar :)

Posted Image

zzzzz gearbox blew up today.

anyone got a e36 5spd for sale?

Edited by Jamez

Are you confident a third box is going to fix it? They're not a consumable!!

Yeah, seems odd that it's munting gearboxes when you're running stock power output and you're using the gearbox mated to the S50 from factory??!!

its been the gearbox's, the first one had internal damage from the crash it was recoverd from, the last one was ex touring car but had been sitting for a long time, so condition was unknown, all I need is a box that is in working order

i have a zf box from a 328i same box as used in the 3L m3 .

also some getrags but they are from the smaller engine models

Update:

Had a problem with the clutch not working, turned out a bolt had come off the back of the engine and jam'ed the clutch always on. Problem now corrected.

Also had a problem with no brakes.

Problem solved with this......

post-3670-1261533171.jpg

post-3670-1261533178.jpg

its different for sure, think its more to do with driver technique and preference. I found it hard at first but then got used to it, the setup is a allot better for heel-toe.

Its allot better in the fact that you can adjust the bias and the fronts and rears are on separate lines, so if one fails the other still works normally. Also the clutch doesn't need much movement to be able to change gears.

its different for sure, think its more to do with driver technique and preference. I found it hard at first but then got used to it, the setup is a allot better for heel-toe.

Its allot better in the fact that you can adjust the bias and the fronts and rears are on separate lines, so if one fails the other still works normally. Also the clutch doesn't need much movement to be able to change gears.

cool man hope all goes well. whens the next race

Looks fricken awesome James.

What did that set you back?

Had so much fun for the first part of the day, set the car up perfectly, very neutral car, very stable............. then I gave my dad a turn.....

He comes in and as I was getting ready to go back out, I noticed a rattle from the gearbox, so I checked the clutch, pushed it in and it went "plop" and lost all pressure. So I bled the thing, pulled it out and tested everything...........got nowhere.

So the car will be going back to raceFX with the same problem :( no clutch and a mysterious rattle from the gearbox.

Edited by Jamez

nah he blames me, every time I have sat in it after him, something has broken.

I spent the morning going over it, nailed the problem down the the clutch fork, as it can be moved laterally with finger and is further back than normal, that would explain the clutch not working

I was wrong with finding the problem, seems the engine snapped another bolt holding the flywheel on, this time damage was done to the flywheel, so a 1 piece steel one is being made, should be about 10kgs lighter than the old dual mass one and also solve the problem of not being able to engine brake :) (the rears would lock up as soon as you would try engine brake)

Can't wait to get out on Hampton Downs again :)

I admire your patience and tenacity in sorting all these issues out Jamez, hopefully you have found and cured the last of the gremlins.

Will we get to see the beast running at the Tasman Meeting in the Open Class??

Your a champ man, keep it up! Beast car :D

cheers guys, it will be at the Tasman meeting and hopefully we will get in a track day before then, but if it breaks anything serious in the next few months it will heading to storage.

Make sure you use new fly wheel bolts as they are stressed pretty hard when used (you'll need the shorter e36 328 auto ones for single mass) got my OEM ones for around $50 for 8. Obviously they need to be torqued properly. I think its pretty cheap insurance to get rid of another 'what if'