Sign in to follow this  
3 SERIES

1987 E30 M3

Thats hot hot hot...

Not bad for that price either?

Beautiful car in person too, belongs to Keven Mosen (ex Mosen Euro Parts)

Nice!!

Apparently a recent import?

I've been looking at too many modified ones - the wheels look TINY!

Very nice love the colour

Lachs Silber means something like Salmon Silver - quite a common colour with the M635csi in the 80's.

How many E30 M3's are there in NZ? 30-50? What do you guys think?

I want it. /me buys a lotto ticket for tomorrow night. If I win, That's mine.

Lachs Silber means something like Salmon Silver - quite a common colour with the M635csi in the 80's.

How many E30 M3's are there in NZ? 30-50? What do you guys think?

Who knows… would be over 100 one would think. They seem quite expensive considering the amount of them on the road.

Either way I would still buy one given I had the money to buy a “toyâ€.

Lachsilber is the best BMW colour by far!

Amen to that brother B)

Saw the listing this morning on my TradeMe notifications, does indeed look very, very nice.

Knowing Keven and his love of BMWs I would say this would be a no expense spared example, and the photos would seem to back this up. Price also looks reasonable.

If this was still in LHD I would be giving him a call right now, but I really, really want the originality. I'll just keep looking..

and i JIZZED in my pants

If this was still in LHD I would be giving him a call right now, but I really, really want the originality. I'll just keep looking..

Can someone explain this mystery to me...

I get the whole "factory spec / originality" thing. I can understand why someone would feel iffy about that mint E34 black M5 replica that sold recently, but a professional RHD conversion on a genuine car!?

Surely it's a better thing to have the car set up for NZ roads rather than having to put up with driving from the passenger seat.

I have seen people mention this before but the above comment made it really hit home and now I am just curious what is so bad about this conversion. If anything, a LHD car would be the reason I would think twice about buying the car not the other way around :huh:

Who knows… would be over 100 one would think. They seem quite expensive considering the amount of them on the road.

Either way I would still buy one given I had the money to buy a “toyâ€.

>100 E30 M3's in NZ? where?

I get the whole "factory spec / originality" thing. I can understand why someone would feel iffy about that mint E34 black M5 replica that sold recently, but a professional RHD conversion on a genuine car!?

Surely it's a better thing to have the car set up for NZ roads rather than having to put up with driving from the passenger seat.

I have seen people mention this before but the above comment made it really hit home and now I am just curious what is so bad about this conversion. If anything, a LHD car would be the reason I would think twice about buying the car not the other way around :huh:

Totally agree mate.

/\ I spose it has to do with it actually still being in original manufactured condition?

Bad example, but like a collectable toy thats been taken out of its box, repainted and put back in and sold is "still in mint condition" doesnt fly...

but i agree with the comment about not wanting a LHD in NZ..Step dad has an old imported ford truck, LHD...sucks to drive!

Edited by Blackie

Arguably if something is to be a true collectible it should be relatively unmolested - an E30 in LHD is a better car (no compromise on the headers, no big bendy bar on the brakes). Personally I don't think it matters on a regular M3, but I can see why some do. I do think it will matter in the future on the limited edition ones, but really that's just my opinion.

I don't personally mind driving LHD, except if you have to go into a parking building. Oh, and my right hand is crap at changing gears.

Guest Simon*

Agreed. I would buy it to drive it, and drive it and drive it and drive it. You get the picture :) Not put it away in a glass cabinet so people can admire it's "originality". Seeing as the conversion was done professionally by road and track (and I'm reliably informed that all 6 of the "NZ New" E30 M3's brought in by BMW NZ were converted there) it's as close to "factory" RHD as we're likely to get here.

And yeah, where are these 100 E30 M3's Graham???

I have seen people mention this before but the above comment made it really hit home and now I am just curious what is so bad about this conversion.

Don't take me the wrong way, I am not saying that there is anything bad about this conversion, but for me I would be looking for originality in the car as one of the key points I would be looking at is the collectability and hence future value. An E30 M3 is a world-wide collectors car, where most people drive on the right, a RHD conversion limits the market and loses value on factory originality.

Driving from the left hand seat, with the dog leg box, is part of the very essence of the E30 M3 that I am after.

Plus there is the compromise on the headers and steering to make the conversion, which is why the factory only made the car in LHD, if BMW Motorsport engineers decided to keep it LHD only, then that says a lot to me.

Yes, it is a pain to drive a LHD car on the left of the road, if you wanted an E30 M3 for a daily driver then RHD would be a must, but again for me that is what I am after.

And now to totally contradict myself on originality, how about this example from eBay in Germany, check out the guys garage and how clean the car is. My German is a bit rusty and I can't work out all the text, so may be a few mods I have missed, but the Gp. A engine and CF air box I can live with :D

post-2707-1243975218_thumb.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.de/BMW-E30-M3_W0QQitemZ270...%3A1%7C294%3A50

And now to totally contradict myself on originality, how about this example from eBay in Germany, check out the guys garage and how clean the car is.

That's not a garage Jon - it's his own personal showroom. I want one just like that! ;)

>100 E30 M3's in NZ? where?

Everywhere. Easily over 100, not every BMW M3 driver is on Bimmersport! How many M3's were made? Hardly limited numbers.

The figures I have show 17,184 coupes produced (all LHD :P ) and 786 cabrios. Which out of more than 2.25 million E30s is pretty limited numbers. Even if you assume that all of these are still alive and kicking, having more than 100 in NZ would make up a pretty large proportion given the total number of cars and people in NZ!