Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

The Maroon Missile is no more

Have only just seen this. Ah, poo, that sucks. At least you're in one piece!

Any news on the car Nathan? Perhaps time to find a new shell with 900cc extra displacement?

On a lighter note:

roof racks, JDM as detailing etc.

Posted Image

Embarrassingly, my race car has roof racks :lol:

Hey thanks again for all the well wishes guys. On closer inspection car has a few kinks in the chassis rails so to the scrappies it goes, it is fixable but not financially viable on a student budget when you include panel and paint for such a rare color (can't find guards in Calypso Red anywhere etc). Have spent the last day stripping the car down, will be plenty of stuff for sale to fund new car in due course. Have been enquiring on several shells with various motor combo's etc. Won't say to much yet to get my hopes up too high. And yeah Jon, there are are couple coupes on e30tech with roof racks..looks so sick haha. Won't lie it is the most heart wrenching after spending the last 8 months modifying this and hundreds of man hours underneath it..only to have to tear it down again :(

Edited by Forrest

Hey thanks again for all the well wishes guys. On closer inspection car has a few kinks in the chassis rails so to the scrappies it goes, it is fixable but not financially viable on a student budget when you include panel and paint for such a rare color (can't find guards in Calypso Red anywhere etc). Have spent the last day stripping the car down, will be plenty of stuff for sale to fund new car in due course. Have been enquiring on several shells with various motor combo's etc. Won't say to much yet to get my hopes up too high. And yeah Jon, there are are couple coupes on e30tech with roof racks..looks so sick haha. Won't lie it is the most heart wrenching after spending the last 8 months modifying this and hundreds of man hours underneath it..only to have to tear it down again :(

Dude, that completly sucks, building it up and now stripping it, then again you might find yourself with a better E30 body than this one to put all the goodies back in.

Good luck. :)

Small update on this.....

Got a letter in the mail today for a summons to court to be charged with careless driving :(

Does anyone know what in the way of punishment I will receive?

Small update on this.....

Got a letter in the mail today for a summons to court to be charged with careless driving :(

Does anyone know what in the way of punishment I will receive?

Ouch, have you been convicted of a crime before? Diversion ? Sorry to here that mate, ive done my fair share of that before.

1st conviction? Diversion. Couple hundred to a charity or something along those lines.

Turn up to court neatly dressed, be courteous and prob just a fine, (plead poverty, are you a student?, smaller fine). I think there's a possible loss of licence with careless and definite with dangerous, someone may care to correct me.

I dont know why you should get charged with careless when you got sunstrike. seems silly to me. but then so does allot of modern law.

1st offence max of 3 months loss. plus fines and court costs,

When your atterny explains the situation to the judge i am sure they will proceed accordingly. poss diversion and maby fine.

When you go to court. LOOK SMART. you will see a court lawyer before you go in and they will represent you. explain to them what happend. and they will read out your version of events to the judge.

Turn up to court neatly dressed, be courteous and prob just a fine, (plead poverty, are you a student?, smaller fine). I think there's a possible loss of licence with careless and definite with dangerous, someone may care to correct me.

Yep, dress nicely and don't be a tough guy and they'll let you off a lil lighter. Have gotten off 4 fines also by using the "I'm poor" trick.

G/L

No fine or court costs when getting diversion.

You get charged with careless driving if your car leaves the road or hitting another car etc etc, if you crash because you were dodging a dog or the like then you get charged with careless driving. Just the way it is.

Woah that sucks!

Good luck with whatever the outcome may be.

Have only ever had one speeding fine, and yeah I am a student. Yeah I don't know whats up with sunstrike getting a fine, I wasn't using my sunvisor but still.

It's not because of sunstrike that you have a summons or a fine. It is because unfortunately you failed to stop and hit a car in front of you. As Greg says that is the way the law is. A few years back I was with a mate and he hit the rear end of a car because it stopped quite suddenly and didn't have ANY brake lights. He was charged with careless driving, the other car was charged with not having a car up to WOF level, and there there was a massive shitfight with the insurance companies.

As all the other guys have said too, dress neatly (formally) get a haircut and have a shave, and be polite and respectful. Hoepfully you will get diversion, and you may be lucky enough not to lose your license depending on how many demerit points you have.

When all is said and done though, just be thankful you still have your health and that no-one else was seriously injured.

good luck with court appearance :)

edit: spelling

Edited by zenetti

Cheers Jono and everyone else for the support. Watch this space.

^ Obviously I didn't mean solely the sunstrike, but you get what I mean :)

Dude that sucks, good luck with it. I reckon we will be going to court about the same time as I just got my letter too.

Another tip, take a parent(s) with you and make sure the judge knows they are there to support you. Works wonders, or did for me.

+1 I was advised of this also at an appearance for a similar charge when I was 20. The duty solicitor got me to drag my old man along and made a fuss of pointing this out to the judge.

I thought it was a bit over the top, but seemed to work.

The problem with the nz legal system is that the police always look to charge someone at a collision (there is no such thing as an accident), and then you have to prove your innocence at your own expense with no viable avenue for recompense. Legal aid and duty solicitors are great for helping get reduced punishments, but if you want to defend the charges, it costs $$$$.

Innocent until proven guilty is a total misnomer. The police prosecutor knows that unless you have time and money you're probably going to plead guilty just to get it over and done.

Wow, sounds like i got lucky in mine... cops decided it was an accidtn and wrote me up $150 for "Failing to stop short of another vehicle" but no court or anything, good luck with it tho, i'm sure they wont throw the book at you cos clearly it was an unfortunate accident.

In a small update, been offered a chance to plead guilty early with a letter of explanation, so it looks like I probably won't have to go to court :)

Wow, sounds like i got lucky in mine... cops decided it was an accidtn and wrote me up $150 for "Failing to stop short of another vehicle" but no court or anything, good luck with it tho, i'm sure they wont throw the book at you cos clearly it was an unfortunate accident.

Was $75 for me when i had mine.. but that was more than 10 years ago... was the 10th car in a 10 car pile up only because i was quick enough to start sliding up the inside of the car infront of me - the car behind me stopped about a foot off my bumper and i was side mirror to side mirror with the car that infront of me at the time of the crash... 

Hope you enjoy the new car and the trip back home Nathan. Good to meet you and glad the car is going to another good home.

In a small update, been offered a chance to plead guilty early with a letter of explanation, so it looks like I probably won't have to go to court :)

That's awsome dude, no need for the hassle.

Massive thread dig BUT..

Got my punishment in the mail today after pleading guilty early to careless driving, ended up with $380 fine and 35 demerits, so it could have been a lot worse, I count myself lucky and consider my driving to be a lot more cautious now, a welcome wake up call :)

Edited by Forrest