Sign in to follow this  
bmw325i

E36 manual queries

Am strongly considering doing a manual conversion myself on the 328 as ive just completed my S13 conversion so am keen for another project but... thought id ask around first and see what the tricky bits are to do, what little things i need and or wil need to do along the way and any special tools etc i may need. Mainly want to know this so i can make sure i have every little bit before i start as i hate not being able to finish something in one go if you know what i mean.

Anyways i look forward to hearing you responses ;)

Cheers,

Jase

Glenn from Botany Motor Worx just did a conversion on his, and has a comprehensive parts list on his thread.

i have a manual kit . pretty easy to do ,just takes time

i have a manual kit . pretty easy to do ,just takes time

Time ??... you forgot the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...... to do it properly

thanks glenn. much appreciated

thanks glenn. much appreciated

Any queries...give me a call or pop in

well have been put onto Ray at HELLBM and dropped the car off yesterday arvo (Tuesday) and picked it up tonight (Wednesday) al finished and absolutely amazing job. The finish of the interiors bits and pieces is as it would come out of the factory and gearbox/clutch etc is all very good. So if anyone else is looking for parts or help with anything I wouldn't hesitate to call Ray again. Great bloke.

Cheers.

do the E36 325i's use the same parts for the swap as a e34 525i with the M50?

well have been put onto Ray at HELLBM and dropped the car off yesterday arvo (Tuesday) and picked it up tonight (Wednesday) al finished and absolutely amazing job. The finish of the interiors bits and pieces is as it would come out of the factory and gearbox/clutch etc is all very good. So if anyone else is looking for parts or help with anything I wouldn't hesitate to call Ray again. Great bloke.

Cheers.

Dam, thats a quick turn around! Out of interest, how much did the conversion cost you?

do the E36 325i's use the same parts for the swap as a e34 525i with the M50?

Not much. G/box, clutch, flywheel, thats about it.

Guest Simon*

Not having a dig at you at all ISLE69 but I am constantly surprised at how many people pay premium dollar for a 328iA, spend more money on it, then more money to make it go faster, then even more to convert it manual then found they must have spent a lot more than it would have cost to get a perfectly nice E36 M3 (which would obviously be much faster and come with an LSD)

328 uses a ZF gearbox - same as M3 with short shift the 250G Glen use is probably from a 325 gearing is slightly different and box probably not as strong

Thats true Ron... but the compact is a lighter vehicle...thats why I used the 250G... Its going great... if it craps out ...gearbox's are cheap

Not having a dig at you at all ISLE69 but I am constantly surprised at how many people pay premium dollar for a 328iA, spend more money on it, then more money to make it go faster, then even more to convert it manual then found they must have spent a lot more than it would have cost to get a perfectly nice E36 M3 (which would obviously be much faster and come with an LSD)

Spoil sport.

Guest Simon*

Spoil sport.

Maybe ;)

To be fair, when you did yours M3's were probably still expensive :D

They were, but only by the $10,000 they are now ha.

Guest Simon*

People are still asking silly money for manual 328's considering the price of M3's now though

Was it you that mentioned a similar thing to this before i started the mods on the car?

If i wanted to buy an M3 id go and buy an M3 mate, its not an issue. Likewise if the car owed me the same as an E46 why wouldnt i just get and E46? its because i didnt want an E46 and I didnt want an M3 either. Also in saying that my 328 owes me 3/8th of fk all compared to an M3, is a 1998 and has just ticked over 70000kms with me being the 3 owner nz new. I wanted a NZ new 328i motorsport coupe with black leather, late model E36 and low ks and then of coarse not have a heafty price tag. It took me a while (nearly a year and a half to be precise) but i found one that i was looking for and for a sacrifice of it being automatic, it had everything else i wanted (except a sunroof), so i brought it and simply put a manual in it for dirt cheap.

And as for the lsd in the M3 i will be putting one in mine within the next few weeks as i have good contacts that have sourced me a mint one for a unrefusable price. This leaving me still... with a car that I.. want and miles off the price of a M3 or an E46 in that regards.

And i dont pay premium dollar for ANYTHING, if somethings not at a good price i simply just dont buy it and keep looking. Its sad how people pay too much for things they buy simply by not biting the bullet and being patient.

At the end of the day its only money and lifes short so be smart how you spend it and everyone has their toys along the way and everyones toy desires are different. the world would be boring if we were all the same.

Hopefully this clears things up for you...

Guest Simon*

Was it you that mentioned a similar thing to this before i started the mods on the car?

Nope

and I didn't suggest you paid premium price for your current car. Like I said, not having a go at you, just making observations I guess

328i's are more fun to play with.

Buy an M3 - Everythings done. No need to mod it. Its a drivers car

Buy a 328i - Can be improved so much. Its a project car

328i's are more fun to play with.

Buy an M3 - Everythings done. No need to mod it. Its a drivers car

Buy a 328i - Can be improved so much. Its a project car

not to mention most e36 m3s these days sound like DEE-ZEL John Deere Tractors

and once the 328 is improved.... ALSO A DRIVER CAR :D

well said.

we should prob all forget this thread now before theres BimmersportWIDE War I or II lol

I can sense too many different opinions clashing badly any minute..

NO MORE!