Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
volcanoblack

Anyone tried D1 Racing slotted rotors?

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Driftit said:

Yeah this is what we told customers to sell the more expensive rotors.  Which came from the same factory and had the same lateral runout specs.
 

 

We should make these into a nice site sticky.  I enjoyed reading through them.

Yeah I saved my 'warped' front rotors after a track day by having them machined the first time.

The second time... I took sandpaper to them myself, was a pain but did the trick. Still a slight vibration if I pay attention for it, which I'm hoping will go away because I don't want to take the wheels off again 😁

BMW will of course advise you against machining. IMO it's fine but check how close your rotors are to minimum thickness, and ask the shop to take off as little material as necessary. Or get an arm workout by sanding them yourself. You're just scrubbing off brake pad deposit, you're not aiming to take off metal.

 

Edited by Matth5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2021 at 9:24 PM, thorburn said:

 

This made me question if you could warp a rotor

F**king idiots doing dangerous dumbass sh*t for internet points. I was disappointed that a big chunk didn't fly out of that rotor and punch a hole in their car.  Rates right up there with the clowns that drain the oil out of an engine and put a brick on the gas pedal to see how long it takes to blow up. Gratuitous crap that proves nothing except that youtube is the vehicle of choice for the true bottom feeders of society.

Nothing like a good rant to end the day :)

Cheers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jon dee said:

F**king idiots doing dangerous dumbass sh*t for internet points. I was disappointed that a big chunk didn't fly out of that rotor and punch a hole in their car.  Rates right up there with the clowns that drain the oil out of an engine and put a brick on the gas pedal to see how long it takes to blow up. Gratuitous crap that proves nothing except that youtube is the vehicle of choice for the true bottom feeders of society.

Nothing like a good rant to end the day :)

Cheers...

I tryed really hard to blow up a few engines in my time, hoping for them to throw a leg out of bed but they never did. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, polley said:

I tryed really hard to blow up a few engines in my time, hoping for them to throw a leg out of bed but they never did. 

I think everyone does some dumb sh*t when they are young... for sure I did :) That is different from making a video of someone purposely doing dumb sh*t and posting it on youtube for internet points. Not saying I don't get a laugh out of the wannabe parkour heroes landing on their heads, or guys drifting their cars into kerbs. Doing dumb things by accident is fair enough but doing them on purpose is a whole different kettle of worms. Kind of reverse evolution.

Cheers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problem at all with people risking their lives for my entertainment. 

These people are helping "evolution". They are actively trying to eliminate the weak, dumb, and or unlucky

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, polley said:

I tryed really hard to blow up a few engines in my time, hoping for them to throw a leg out of bed but they never did. 

We had one that died a good death. Didnt throw a rod but the oil got so hot it started to come out of the sump on fire. Ended up igniting the car and gutting it. That was awkward, when the fire department came to a rural dead end gravel road to put out a car fire with a bunch of guys there. Uh yes sir, we were just driving and it caught fire 😂

Garage54 is awesome. Dont be so serious. Every "dangerous" thing they do is probably safer than daily life in Russia.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KwS said:

We had one that died a good death. Didnt throw a rod but the oil got so hot it started to come out of the sump on fire. Ended up igniting the car and gutting it. That was awkward, when the fire department came to a rural dead end gravel road to put out a car fire with a bunch of guys there. Uh yes sir, we were just driving and it caught fire 😂

Garage54 is awesome. Dont be so serious. Every "dangerous" thing they do is probably safer than daily life in Russia.

Garage54 is great! The which way will pistons fly out of lada engine at 10k rpm video is scienceAF :D 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jacko said:

Garage54 is great! The which way will pistons fly out of lada engine at 10k rpm video is scienceAF :D 

Haha yeah that was awesome. I'm not sure if it was them but I think someone tryed wooden pistons as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KwS said:

We had one that died a good death. Didnt throw a rod but the oil got so hot it started to come out of the sump on fire. Ended up igniting the car and gutting it. That was awkward, when the fire department came to a rural dead end gravel road to put out a car fire with a bunch of guys there. Uh yes sir, we were just driving and it caught fire 😂

Garage54 is awesome. Dont be so serious. Every "dangerous" thing they do is probably safer than daily life in Russia.

Oil coming out of the sump on fire is a good one !

 

Had a few interesting ones, all paddock bashers.

 

Honda civic hatch back, carby model. Revved its tits off while we threw stones and dirt down the carb. Flywheel exploded and took the bellhousing and starter with it.

Another honda, rev limiter until engine caught fire. Ran it over and crushed it with a digger the next day.

 

Old VK commodore with Bluetop 202 motor, drained all the oil out and put a couple liters or petrol in the sump hoping for it to spin a bearing, never did. Had the valve cover off and standing on top of the rockers holding valves open while its at full rev hoping for a valve to kiss a piston but never did.

 

3SFE Toyota corona, back yard hack job we put a turbo on. Went really well till it melted a piston and shot the dipstick out and coated the windscreen in oil. Down to pick a part, brought a replacement piston, swapped it in, re used the old head gasket. Started first pop and lived to see a few more thrashings.

Edited by polley
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, polley said:

Haha yeah that was awesome. I'm not sure if it was them but I think someone tryed wooden pistons as well?

And plastic, they have a good one welding cranks on 4 pot lada engines end to end as well, think it got up to a straight 12 :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Dousing with a HUGE amount of water from a pressure washer".  Bzzzzt.  Confusing PRESSURE with FLOW. 

Did not bother watching further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the fundamental problem here is that dumbass entertainment is being presented as some kind of "scientific" investigation.... kind of like a retards version of Mythbusters. However, the presenters do not appear to have even a rudimentary understanding of basic engineering principles or physics. You don't have to be a rocket surgeon to understand that five flywheels will have five times the moment of inertia of one flywheel, or that tires filled with concrete (actually a weak sand/cement mix) is anything other that a totally dumb idea.

Now, I like weapons of mass destruction as much as the next guy, so why not get those five flywheels up to 8000 rpm and then turn them loose ? That would demonstrate the massive amount of energy stored in a flywheel and wreak havoc in their workshop  I'd call that a win - win situation, and everyone would learn something :)

Cheers...

 

 

Edited by jon dee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...