Sign in to follow this  
BEAMNN

Pricing help please...

Hi All,

I'd really appreciate any input that anyone 'in the know' (i.e. most of you) can give me regarding the following.

I have the chance to purchase a 1994 540i e34 that is New Zealand new, one owner and best of all MANUAL! It has a full service history and has travelled around 140,000 km. It is in mint condition. It is that dark purple colour with light leather (cream?) interior and the basket weave wheels. Everything is completely factory original with the service history all being done by the BMW dealer.

It is more-or-less faultless (a few supermarket dings).

What I would like your help with is:

WHAT IS IT WORTH? If you could give me a 'good buy', 'fair buy' and 'dealer' prices that would really help.

It is owned by a family member and we both want to be fair to each other with the sale & purchase price.

Thanks very much in advance.

Edited by BEAMNN

Last time I saw one for sale (at a BMW dealer) I think they were asking 15 grand. Which, I imagine is probably quite a fair price seeing as these cars are as rare as the proverbial rocking horse excrement.

Cheers Mark.

That sounds about right. A couple of years back (about 2-3) the owner enquired about trading the car in on another BMW and the dealer offered (I think) between $8k - $12k depending on which car he wanted to drive away in. Obviously he didn't go through with trading in the car (I think the idea of parting with a $150,000+ car for that sort of money didn't sit well).

I am guessing that this sort of car doesn't depreciate too much if it remains in good condition? And that kms don't make too much difference to the value?

Thanks again.

I think Ray at HellBM has one the same as what you have described. Could give him a yell.

Cheers Dan.

Its a tough one to guage as there appears to be a fair bit of difference between the auto and manual - am I right?

For example, in this thread http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....0i#topicoptions the auto sold for $5,500 with similar km's. It looked like a mint car in good condition.

I don't want to take too much of a hit down the track when it has 200,000+km on it and I need to sell it.

I don't want to take too much of a hit down the track when it has 200,000+km on it and I need to sell it.

Unless you own an M1, you generally won't make money on a BMW! Don't worry about that too much though.

The reason the manual 540 fetches so much more money than the auto is the gearbox (they are very rare, and no other manual gearbox bolts to the engine), they're better spec'ed and have the rare Style 5 wheels (which I think is what you're referring to when you say "basketweaves"). If you have any pics of the car post them up, we all want to see this amazing find.

As Mark has said, the 540is is head and shoulders above the standard auto. I'd imagine for a minter somewhere in the region of 10-15k?

I'd say a decent knick auto 540i is about 5 give or take.

Cheers Mark. Don't worry, I'm not expecting to make any money on the purchase & future sale (in fact I'm guessing it will cost a bit to maintain, run, etc). I just don't want to go from $15k to $6k-ish in the course of 12-24 months.

I'll see what I can do about the photos. It is actually my uncle's car and he lives a wee ways away from me but I should be seeing him in the next week or two so hopefully he'll be sweet with taking some photos to post here.

I have driven the car a few times and it certainly is an experience. It's hard not to fall for the car when at 15 (i think) on your restricted (the car is only about 1 year old) you are asked to drive the owners to a function & pick them up later - in between the car is yours... 15-ish years down the track and hopefully it will be mine...

If he is happy with $10k I would be stoked...

I'm still keen to hear anyone elses thoughts - thanks Creaver.

Try get in contact with Ray (hellbm on the forums) and Simon* on the forums, both own these awesome cars and could tell you a lot more about them.

If he is happy with $10k I would be stoked...

Rare cars like this are always tricky to value. The e39 540i/6 is just as rare and there is one on a yard at the moment for 12k. It is however in a sorry state with a horrid colour combo.

As pointed out already I think a decent e34 540i auto is around 5k but not much more. I honestly think luck rather than judgement will come into play on a valuation with your uncles car because its worth what anyone is prepared to pay for it.

One minute I think 10k is a bargain, the next I think about two e39 540i/6's that are around at the moment for not alot more. Then there are the e34 M5's that are selling for 12k at the moment. Id expect the 540 to blow the M5 away, but how much value do you place on the 'M' badge ?

We'd all love to see some photos anyway.

Part of the appeal for me is that I know the owner and I know he is fastidious with his car maintenance (having owned BWM's, Ferrari's, etc) and nothing is left 'until next service' etc. For this reason I am more inclined to want to purchase this car over an M series or e39 of unknown history... (rightly or wrongly).

The car is almost exactly the same as the pic of Simon*'s car here

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....0&hl=simon*

However it has different wheels and no tints. Other than that there's nothing in it.

Thanks Penry. I understand what you are saying and it is that which leads to our problem of what I should pay for the car and what is fair for my uncle...

I'll work towards getting so pictures as soon as I see him.

15K is affordable to purchase. but ask yourself if you can swallow the maintenance cost if and when they do creep up.

i've seen a couple at a workshop that was I told that owners just can't up keep the car to a standard that they require.

what a shame really!

PM me if you want to have a chat with this mechanic before diving into a once very expensive car :)

i think ray got his one for 13 ish or so.At those sorta miles its at the low end but may need some replacement cooling components soon.i reckon 10 is the low end if you actually want the v8 sports manual. if you dont want it i will buy it.i reckon 15 would be max.

if you service any bmw by the book they will be expensive,and the 540 will drink gas round town,although surprisingly good on the open road.It will have all the normal e34 quirks

Edited by kiwi535

yes if you dont want it let me know .

i would be interested in it

cheers brent .

Haha, look at all these people chiming in to buy :)

Good luck with whatever you end up doing. They are very nice cars.

Thanks all! & don't worry... it is not a case of me 'not wanting it'. I feel I would struggle to find a better example.

It is more just a case of being fair to each other price-wise. However, if my uncle struggles to part with it and wants $20k+ I'll be sure to let you all know ;) haha

It really is an exciting prospect to own this car and 'join the club'.

Thanks for everyone input and any further thoughts are always welcome.

fwiw in the time i have had my car(2002 till current) i think there will have been 4 or 5 of these cars for sale via trademe.IMHO its not a 20 k car,as has already been pointed out E 34 M5 are selling for cheaper than that.It will continue to depreciate.I bought my 535is in 2002 for 16000,today i would be lucky to get more than 6000,and whilst not a absolute minter its pretty close.

Sounds like mine. k`s and colour match ...

Who are you?

If I sold mine today I`d be wanting at least 20 grand. next year it could well be 25 g.

Photo`s please, otherwise it`s just another forum tale.

Thanks all! & don't worry... it is not a case of me 'not wanting it'. I feel I would struggle to find a better example.

It is more just a case of being fair to each other price-wise. However, if my uncle struggles to part with it and wants $20k+ I'll be sure to let you all know ;) haha

It really is an exciting prospect to own this car and 'join the club'.

Thanks for everyone input and any further thoughts are always welcome.

Hi there mate, been reading through the threads. I personally think (like many of the other contributors) that if you pay $10-$13k, you are onto a good thing. As you say, a similar mileage, same year, example in auto is possibly a $6k car. From what I know, there are only around 10 540is's in NZ. They certainly have dropped alot over the last 5 years. There was a mint Hell red example for sale with similiar mileage at Beech European for $25k in 2004, and there were a couple of 180 kms examples in Avus blue for sale around the same time in Auckland for around $20k. Saying, they have probably bottomed out. I can't see them at around $5k unless the mileage increases substantially and they are poorly neglected.

Bottom line, in that colour combo with the Style 5's, the car sounds appealing. They are a very good looking car. Good luck with it mate. I have driven 2 540is's, and I think they are superb - not much in it comparing it to an E34 M5.

Who am I? What would you like to know? Long time member, first time poster :)

Fair call about the 'forum tale' however I've got no reason to make any of it up... I just wanted some help/advice from those who have more knowledge than me in this field.

Like I've said previously, no worries about the photos. I just have to wait until the next time I'm near the car - which could be a week or two...

Thanks to everyone for their input re: price for the car. It has helped!

Edit: keep the price indicators/feedback/input coming - the more info the better IMO.

Edited by BEAMNN

If I sold mine today I`d be wanting at least 20 grand. next year it could well be 25 g.

good luck with that mate....

Hmmm E34 540is

I would expect to pay anywhere over 10k, roughly twice the cost of an automatic 540ia, if not 3 or 4 times as much for an extremely immaculate example.

Funny, I've had people ask me why didn't I get a manual one? Clearly I couldn't because they are rather rare, and a little out of my price range! The auto versions are just too cheap to ignore for that matter.

I'd like very much to see more details about this car, picture of it and what not...

I can see where Ray was coming from with the 'fairy tale' tone, wheres the details and actual asking price? :unsure:

Edited by Mike-E34

Guest Simon*

Hey there

There's another one! Woohoo :) From what I've heard BMW NZ sold 6 or 7 540iS'es new in '94-'95 and I they might all have been Technoviolet too (the Purple was an M5 colour).

The car you describe sounds almost exactly like Ray's (HellBM) when he bought it from Tauranga last year or year before. Mileage, condition and basically one owner since new. Without saying too much he paid substantially more than 13K and it was a private sale between enthusiasts.

Always tricky when you're buying from family or friends and I don't envy your situation there, especially as you both know that the car is pretty special and worth quite a bit. If you uncle agreed to let you have it for $10,000 you have done VERY well. In saying that, considering its mileage and condition at $15K it's still very good buying.

Not helpful I suppose :) Sorry about that! Mine has double the km's as your uncle's and is no longer 'mint' but I still would not sell it for $15K regardless.

There were only 250 RHD 540iS ever manufactured so in reality they are much rarer than the E34 M5. Maintenance is not bad at all as they share so much with the 540iA, with the exception of clutches! Ask me how I know ;)

I'd be willing to bet it looks exactly like this - mine under previous ownership, before wheels, suspension, LSD, etc

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you have any other questions, etc you'd like answered feel free to PM me. I don't mind telling you what I paid for mine and under what circumstances too.

Cheers

Simon

Sure thing, I'll get more details when I can. However, I'm hardly going to post info about getting in contact with my uncle without his permission and clearly I'd like to buy it! :) As I've said further up, I'll get photos next time I'm around the car as it is a little ways away from me.

The reason for this thread is because there is no asking price on the car... We wanted to be fair to each other with the sale. My uncle has no idea what it worth other than its trade-in value and I haven't seen one for sale/sell to know what it is worth. Hence seeking the input of you guys here.

What further details would you like? It is a fully optioned (excluding rear spoiler and car phone) e34 540is manual, sold NZ new and only ever had one owner. Full service history by a fastidious owner. It is that dark purple colour with the cream leather interior, maple trim etc. It has what I call basket weaver style wheels although I have been corrected on that one :) There are no modifications or changes from when it rolled out of the factory other than oil, etc and tyres.

Anyway, as I've said. I'll be with the car in a week or two so will get some pictures then and post them up for all the 'non-believers'. This certainly is an interesting first experience within the forums... I didn't realise it would have people guessing the authenticity of the topic.

I really appreciate all those who have given a price indication.