Sign in to follow this  
westy

The bastard child.

Spose I should really read the auctions a bit more closely. <_<

I tried that link on the auction but it went no where. Would be good to see how they welded it in regard to your plinth vs plate options.

Was an auction for a prebent and cut cage. It mentioned plates, but nothing more.

I meant the link on the auction for the cut cage. My bad it did mention plates.. haha who thought reading an auction can be so hard.

"TO GET AN IDEA OF HOW THE KIT LOOKS WHEN INSTALLED, PLEASE FOLLOW THIS LINK AND LOOK AT DRAWING NO. 253-4 ON PAGE 49

http://motorsport.org.nz/assets/MotorSport...-2010.pdf"

Cant read that pdf.

Edited by tcbaurpower

Also I think you may need to make them out of something sturdier than cardboard :P.

As for welding the top of the cage, mine we dropped the front bars through the floor and managed to do the whole top pretty well using that... can't remember if we dropped the main bar too, but I don't think so. The holes are well and truly covered by the 3mm steel plates.

I tried that link on the auction but it went no where. Would be good to see how they welded it in regard to your plinth vs plate options.

Was an auction for a prebent and cut cage. It mentioned plates, but nothing more.

Also I think you may need to make them out of something sturdier than cardboard :P.

As for welding the top of the cage, mine we dropped the front bars through the floor and managed to do the whole top pretty well using that... can't remember if we dropped the main bar too, but I don't think so. The holes are well and truly covered by the 3mm steel plates.

MDF ya muppet!

MDF ya muppet!

Oh right, sorry my mistake, carry on.... that should do fine.

Started it today.

Runs for about 10 secs then dies, catches, die, catches. Wont respond to throttle. Meh.

So little progress then.

In all seriousness, is it an M52tu or 54? M52tu has the electronic throttle body with back up mechanical cable, M54 is soley electronic.

M52tu Greg. How do you mean backup cable? Was under the impression it was solely cable operated?

Things I now know.

Both intake boots have small splits in them.

Disa valve is intact. Gotta win somethings.

Idle Control Valve was nice and stuck. Cleaned and freed.

Throttle body hmmm... Was stuck shut. Cable wasn't moving it (it's spring loaded against the cable lever thingie). Electrical connector looked clean and shiny and seemed tight. Thanks for that tip Ray. Removed it and cleaned some caked on grime off and polished the inner surfaces clean. Seems to work freely now and the pedal isn't as stiff which is nice!

Leaving an engines sitting for 3 years possibly isn't ideal ha.

Will try for a start up sometime, she's a bit loud straight out the pipes...

Things I now know.

Both intake boots have small splits in them.

Disa valve is intact. Gotta win somethings.

Idle Control Valve was nice and stuck. Cleaned and freed.

Throttle body hmmm... Was stuck shut. Cable wasn't moving it (it's spring loaded against the cable lever thingie). Electrical connector looked clean and shiny and seemed tight. Thanks for that tip Ray. Removed it and cleaned some caked on grime off and polished the inner surfaces clean. Seems to work freely now and the pedal isn't as stiff which is nice!

Leaving an engines sitting for 3 years possibly isn't ideal ha.

Will try for a start up sometime, she's a bit loud straight out the pipes...

The M52tu operated electrically via fly by wire but had a back up emergancy throttle cable also, M54 went solely fly by wire. If you only have the throttle cable connected that'll still do the same thing.

If you have some of the floor mounts yeah, stick 'em up here. If he doesn't mind.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now starts and idles if I jump the fuel pump, for some reason it wont trigger the pump itself.

Still wont rev past about 1500 and is a bit rough at idle, but at least it runs.

Will need proper diagnostics from here though, probably. Vaguely remember a running issue while it was still in the e46.

Good colour choice.

Now starts and idles if I jump the fuel pump, for some reason it wont trigger the pump itself.

Still wont rev past about 1500 and is a bit rough at idle, but at least it runs.

Will need proper diagnostics from here though, probably. Vaguely remember a running issue while it was still in the e46.

Missed this part ... got the tools to check it... let us know when you have it fired up next and brendon and I will pop up with the gear.

Unless you feel like bring it to the pub ? thought not :P

Should be will let ya know.

Also, round plug or sqaure ? and what is the qaulity of that road of yours? will determine e30 or not

Round plug.

Road's ok (ish). Always easier from north end.

Also, did you update your headlights to F/L Josh?

Still got the old ones?

Swap ya for oil cooler? :P

Also, what are ya doing with those sport seats?

haha, you can just have em.

James has the tech1 seats now. I would go for a set of sparcos ... Recaros (even second hand) are retardardly expensive. orrrr try find some like the nappa ones I have. They are around. sort of

Yus progress!

If you do end up templating your own bars Tony I can throw them into CAD and get the bars NC bent for you. Fast accurate and cheap. Could go as far as getting all the plate parts laser cut too.

Let me know if you are keen.