Sign in to follow this  
westy

The bastard child.

Then maybe sell it for the next project ha.

Really?! After 4+ years! The building more important than the finished project then, I take it.

Contemplating losing the tank for a std one with the exhaust out the back again. Proving a pain to seal the fumes out. Anyone have a pic of a later fuel tank? They are a double sided thing?

that exhaust is super cool, but i was surprised you got a WOF with it out this side like that, I'm sure the rules were it had to exit behind the rearmost point of the cabin?? might have changed tho, i was going to do a side exit on my Tech2 E30 back in the day but i was told buy the guy i was going to get to cert the car that I couldn't. or now i think of it maybe that was because it was a sedan

yep later tank is a bit different to the earlier one, not sure if cross compatible, but hey if you can put E46 suspension in it you can make it work :lol: how big is the current tank? you could shorten one side of it? mid exit exhaust might look cool?

Start the partition against tony to keep it and stick a turbo in it.

Hes talking RX4 for the next project

Rule on exhaust is behind rear-most opening window. Strangely, now I've sealed almost all the rear bulkhead and can drive with the window down without getting fumed out from the drop tank, seems to be a faint exhaust smell. Maybe I'm dreaming...

Anyway, I need a tank I can get two fuel level senders in to have it work with the E46 gauge.

Really?! After 4+ years! The building more important than the finished project then, I take it.

Yeah kinda, I guess.

:lol:

Other ideas

E39 540 into E24

E38 750/40 into Holden HQ wagon

+ some other even worse stuff.

e39 540 into e21 :D

Fixed that a bit for ya.

hi mate

how did you find the handling with the drop tank?

be intresting to see if it handles better with the tank moved infront of the rear axle.

That poor poor e21, it didn't deserve that!

Ha, there's all sorts of wrong going on now.

hi mate

how did you find the handling with the drop tank?

be intresting to see if it handles better with the tank moved infront of the rear axle.

Couldn't really tell ya mate. I have very little experience with std type E30s.

In front position makes alot more sense technically. Jamez E30 race car has a boot mounted tank maybe he can give you an idea.

Anyway, I need a tank I can get two fuel level senders in to have it work with the E46 gauge.

The facelift e30 tank has 2 level senders, as the tank is separated around the driveshaft - Pre facelift had a pipe connecting the 2 halves at the bottom but the facelift one does not, so uses 2 level senders to read the level and I believe syphons fuel to the pump side somehow, or maybe theres a transfer pump on that side :blink:

Thanks John, that'd probably work.

Tell me I'm wrong...

post-674-1370393966.jpg

Any more pics? When is this car going to be reviewed on Jalopnik?

And yes, I registered on this forum just to make this comment. I am in the States and will not be visiting NZ anytime soon so no chance for me to see it otherwise...

Thanks John, that'd probably work.

Tell me I'm wrong...

post-674-1370393966.jpg

I wont hate you if you sort it like this.

The facelift e30 tank has 2 level senders, as the tank is separated around the driveshaft - Pre facelift had a pipe connecting the 2 halves at the bottom but the facelift one does not, so uses 2 level senders to read the level and I believe syphons fuel to the pump side somehow, or maybe theres a transfer pump on that side :blink:

Yes it has a syphon type tube to equalize, where the return line enters the LHS, travels down to the bottom of the tank, along & rises up over the bridge & down into the swirl pot on the RHS.

So, boredom setting in waiting for the slow wheels of bureaucracy to move led me to construct this fake splitter from a piece of ply and a strip of stainless I had lying around ha.

Posted Image

Posted Image

All ready for quick self removal at the first glance of a curb...