Sign in to follow this  
mark247

E30 coupe project

I just picked up this beast today from Auckland, it's a 1988 325i auto. It came on trademe last night and the guy was wanting $1500 then put the price up to $2000. I called him up, told him I'd buy it and to take it off trademe. I went up this morning and paid $1200 for it, after having a good look over it. It's a British import, and it has rust. Below the battery at the back and on the opposite side also there is rust, but other than that there is not much. Engine runs fine but I dont think it has a thermostat, and it looks as if the headgasket has been replaced before. Engine still has heaps of power so it will do for now. The front guards are both damaged from the tyres and need rolling, and also one has a dent at the front.

Things to do

- Suspension had a horrible clunk in it. We replaced the control arms with E36 ones today, and now there is no more clunks at all!

- Repair rust at back ( 50% done already, tonight Troy ( 320guy ) and i got to work sanding it back and we used that metally filler stuff to tidy it up. Probably could do with welding a new piece in but I cant afford that for now, so we did the best we could do. )

- Roll guards, remove dent on left guard, and paint.

- Minor surface rust in sunroof needs repairing

- Needs repainting in places, clear coat has pealed on the right A-pillar. Most of the car just needs a good cut and polish though.

- Manual Conversion

- Tidy interior

- Fix oil cooler mounts, Someone decided it would be a good idea to hold it in with tie downs...

Thats about all I can think of at the moment.

My priority is to get rid of the rust and get the body tidy and then get to work on other things.

I only paid $1200 for the car, so I'm pretty happy with it. I'm thinking $3300 ( including perchase of car ) will have it looking tidy with rust gone and manual conversion.

I'll let ya know how i get on.

post-1711-1250063718_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark247

Awesome mate, must be time of the year for e30 projects :rolleyes: good luck :)

oo M50 Powered ? or is it going to be a 2.7 ? hmmm

oo M50 Powered ? or is it going to be a 2.7 ? hmmm

Yet to be decided.... I'm going to the Ukraine in November to work for 3 months... so I think any big engine stuff is going to have to wait until next year..

Edited by Mark247

looks like a good buy mate

paint the rims black or change thm...

correct me if im wrong but all manual gboxs from m20 engines work in all m20 engines?

if so i will have a full manual conv kit forsale in a few weeks.

whatever it is im sure it will be kickass :D thats a pretty cheap buy for a FL 325

looks like a good buy mate

paint the rims black or change thm...

correct me if im wrong but all manual gboxs from m20 engines work in all m20 engines?

if so i will have a full manual conv kit forsale in a few weeks.

Pm'd

I saw this on trademe and thought thats pretty cheap.

And next time I looked it had gone....

good buy mate...sounds like an awesome project.

I saw this on trademe and thought thats pretty cheap.

And next time I looked it had gone....

good buy mate...sounds like an awesome project.

It is cheap, but rust does kinda scare me. We seem to have the back stuff under control so that is good. The rest of the car has surprising less rust. We had it up on a hoist today and the only real rust under the car was the back stuff. So that is a relief.

Wheels are puke, but rest is cool. Great project, good luck with it!

Wheels are puke

Amen!

I am considering rocking out the bottle caps until I can get something better.

Edited by Mark247

Day Two

Basically got on top of the rust at the rear of the car. With further inspection there is a bit of rust creeping around the boot. Should not be hard to tackle. It is all just surface rust so rust converter will do the trick, and I will just cover it with black. Because you cant see it with the seals over it, or with the boot closed, just a minor touch up should do.

The bottom rear left and right are done, they need a final bog ( to get it perfect ) but I will leave that to the paint shop for when they paint it. First time I've ever done any repairs like this so I hope they are ok, nothing flash, but I did clean the area as much as I could before starting.

Tomorrow my plans are to get a price on panel and paint, including front guards being rolled. I also want to get the spoiler back on, it had one of those bigger ones, you might be able to see it in the picture above, but I changed it so only the bottom part will be on the car. I painted it with just saturn black because, one, it saves me money, and two, it should not look too bad considering all the chrome around the windows has been done already.

post-1711-1250148088_thumb.jpg

post-1711-1250148104_thumb.jpg

post-1711-1250148137_thumb.jpg

post-1711-1250148150_thumb.jpg

POR15 will destroy the surface rust. Looking like a fun project

The size of those tyres will be contributing to the rubbing, get some 205/40 and itd probably stop rubbing. It would also look better and be better for the speedo.

Picked up some Shortened munroe shocks and lowering springs today for $200. Got some bottle caps to put on it. And tomorrow im picking up a manual conversion kit... found one for very cheap..... this is all going well =D

Damn..those shocks and springs are cheappppp..Pics ?

Edited by Andrew.

Damn..those shocks and springs are cheappppp..Pics ?

Going to install them this evening so I'll post some pics up them. I also just got a Manual conversion kit from pick-a-part. Has a near new master and slave cylinder. All it needs is a clutch kit. And guess how much i paid... $200!!!!!! ( including a front lip as well =D )

Here are some pics of the shortened munroe shocks and springs I got. Nearly finished installing them, one more front to go. Previous owner only did 10,000km. As you can see the springs are a fair bit shorter than the yellow ones I had in them, I think the old ones are apex springs.

Hopefully I should be getting some sump scraping action! ( heh hope not )

NOTE: Yes they are captive, in the photo the shock was not bolted up.

post-1711-1250315950_thumb.jpg

post-1711-1250315963_thumb.jpg

post-1711-1250315975_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark247

Ahh your running the same rear shocks as me :D Do you know what brand springs those are ?

Ahh your running the same rear shocks as me :D Do you know what brand springs those are ?

Nah, Im guessing Jamex..

Just got all of it in now, it's low as $*%^

Car went into the paint shop today and should be back wednesday. Also I sent the flywheel in to get lightened, and managed to get a Recaro seat out of an EVO ( but already modded to fit an e30 ) for $50.

This has to be one of the cheapests projects ever. $200 manual conversion, $50 seat, $200 suspension, I aint complaining! :D

Nah, Im guessing Jamex..

Just got all of it in now, it's low as $*%^

Jamex are Low. Put mine in, and wow - nice n low. My sump was JUST over 100mm (on standard rims). Factory struts. Just need to put my 17s on :lol:

Edited by Shady

Picked up clutch and flywheel today. Got the flywheel lightened at Hydralink ( i think its called ). I think possibly they could of taken a bit more meat off it, but it's all good. I got the clutch, pressure plate, bearings, and machining at Waikato Clutch and Brake. Those guys are awesome, they are quick and know what they are talking about, and a reasonably good price too.

Picking up car from paint shop this afternoon, manual this weekend.

Hopefully sorting a short shifter through SIR E30.

post-1711-1250712305_thumb.jpg

post-1711-1250712315_thumb.jpg