Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

tidy e34 540i6

Quick question:

What's the difference between the 540iS and the 540iLE?

540ILE was an aussie only car.It had the m5 (self levelling) suspension,the 540 iS didnt

I dont theink the LE had the rear m tech bumper or spoiler,and the iS had the auto A/C, the LE didnt.Cain on here had a 540LE which BMW NZ bought over from Aussie.It had an untimely end with a bridge abutment

540ILE was an aussie only car.It had the m5 (self levelling) suspension,the 540 iS didnt

I dont theink the LE had the rear m tech bumper or spoiler,and the iS had the auto A/C, the LE didnt.Cain on here had a 540LE which BMW NZ bought over from Aussie.It had an untimely end with a bridge abutment

Hey man,

I know that Cain's didn't have the rear m-tech valance or spoiler, but I have seen a few in Aussie that did. I have a mate who had a black one in Melbourne, and apart from the fact it hadn't have have the 18-inch m-parrallels nor the black piece of plastic that surrounds the boot key-lock, it looked identical to the 3.8 6-speed E34 M5's.

From what I know, the 540LE is identical to the Canada only M54oi.

I still have Cains (badly bent, minus 6 speed conversion which is now powering another 540) 540LE and of course my own 540is HELLBM. A great site for 540is/M reference is 540i Sport.

Advantage of this car over an M5:

M5 is a handbuilt engine which costs mega bucks to have rebuilt. Most have done high k's and many are imports.

This car: NZ new, low k's.... just as quick as an M5, and easy as piss to find parts / a new engine for if it blows up. Just ask Simon, his car has done over 400 clicks or so... let's see a highly strung S36 or S38 do that without a rebuild.

Advantage of this car over an M5:

M5 is a handbuilt engine which costs mega bucks to have rebuilt. Most have done high k's and many are imports.

This car: NZ new, low k's.... just as quick as an M5, and easy as piss to find parts / a new engine for if it blows up. Just ask Simon, his car has done over 400 clicks or so... let's see a highly strung S36 or S38 do that without a rebuild.

Hey man, valid point - these things are quick and with the E34 m5 it is a little lethargic comparatively until you hit the revs. The M60 is a solid engine. To be honest, the E34 M5 engine is pretty robust too as long as it has been serviced religiously and maintained. As long as you treat them well, they are pretty reliable. If there has been a horror story to tell (and I know of a friend whose 3.6 M power engine went pop when he was tracking his high-mileage M5) its usually when the car hasn't been looked after.

Saying that, this is a compelling car. Just as rare as the E34 M5 in NZ. The price is higher than most M5's that have sold recently, but they have all had hefty mileage. I figure a E34 M5 in the same condition and milage would be a $20k+ car.

I smelll traaaade in :ph34r:

Talking about trade - ins ; do you suspect that this was traded for the 2002 E39 M5 that Archibalds had on their books until last week? Would seem to be an ideal step up from a nice E34 540is.

SS

Guest Ari Gold

Having driven both an M5 and a 540iS within 3 days of each other, I can definitely say I'd take the 540iS any day of the week.

Admittedly, if it was a 3.8 M5 I'd probably change my mind again, but the 4L V8 makes a much nicer noise, has more torque, is perfectly suited to the character of the car, and has more of a "luxo express" feel to it than a highly strung ex M1 motor.

I no this car well, its from my home town and i used to drool over it all of the time. Ive never seen it dirty and it looks better in person. It was mostly driven by a lady and ive never seen it driven in anger. Sounds AMAZING

^Yep, to this guy obviously... cos he's getting rid of his auto 540.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-250296123.htm

me old mate brian .

he's the guy that's got that 840ci that he converted to a 6spd manual got it repo'd from hime due to prvious owner owing money , then he brought the car back at auction .