Sign in to follow this  
Shady

How to cert lower than 100mm?

Thought I'd make my own thread, rather than jack the e30 thread.

Basically a Q to Glenn or anyone else who has.

---

How do you go about certing for lower than 100mm? Do you need to prove its safe at that height or simply just get a cert? Whats the legal run down - is there a website with an explanation as to how to get it legal at so low? You say (Glenn) yours is 75mm & cert'd....Im keen to know how you go about this.

May need to do that with my Honda - may, as in, will need to see how low it sits after some TLC.

Thanks.

If the car is modified correctly with the right components it will pass by the certifier. The measurements are recorded on the cert plate and the car cannot be altered after the cert without getting recertifiation. I even had to have mine recertified after going from auto to manual. Once a car has a cert... any changes must be redone with a new cert. Cant even change my wheels..... $450 a pop

Edited by *Glenn*

you can get certed pretty much for any heigh as long as its safe and theres no rubbing or mechanical parts touching the ground, my mate got his e46 certed at 40mm, and ive got my 7 certed at 50mm

Oh mint. So pretty straight forward then?

But being so close, those parts would easily smash the road over judder bars and driveways, surely? Must looked pretty slammed...

oh yeah and the height u get certed at you can go 5% lower or 5% heigher and its still legal

Isnt that just so if you have a full load of pasengers or such the cops cant do you.

Edited by Shady

nah just gotta know how to drive a low car and look out for those dangers

edit: when cops measure your height they legally have to let you get your passengers out of the car

Edited by Tha Cosa Nostra

This is the code as it relates to suspension.

Anybody lowering their car should have already read it.

Theres more to it than just having captive springs.

My cars got new goodies on it which will mean it will need re-certing, how much does it cost to re-cert a car?

My cars got new goodies on it which will mean it will need re-certing, how much does it cost to re-cert a car?

The same as it cost the first time unfortunately

The same as it cost the first time unfortunately

That sucks :(

Depends on the certifier. Most charge the same fee. I know one that will do it cheaper if he did the original cert, and has a good feeling about you. ie trusts that he doesn't have to scrutineer the entire car, but can get away with a quick look to make sure nothing has changed since last time except for what you need the new cert for.

Will only do for minor changes like wheels, etc. Anything more serious would require full re-cert.

Greg go to Premier auto, The guy there (forgot his name now), is a very reputable LVV certifier. If you did an initial LVV inspection with him for a cert, he can add changes (such as new height, wheels etc) for only $150.

Anyway, under 100mm your steering angles are completely out. Depending on the certifier, you may have trouble managing to get it certed that low if they pick up on things like that.. That huge increase in steering angle means it adds alot of bump steer..

The last time I talked to Mark Stokes, he said that he could cert it at any height provided:

-It has atleast 15mm of travel before hitting bump stops.

-Everything is captive.

-Nothing rubs - at speed,low speed, turning etc.

-And as long as nothing hits the ground if all four tyres are deflated.

But best ring a certifier jsut incase.

The last time I talked to Mark Stokes, he said that he could cert it at any height provided:

-It has atleast 15mm of travel before hitting bump stops.

-Everything is captive.

-Nothing rubs - at speed,low speed, turning etc.

-And as long as nothing hits the ground if all four tyres are deflated.

But best ring a certifier just incase.

Mark did mine 2 X

I need to certify slotted brake discs, steel braided brake lines and about 25mm lower. But unsure how to make the rear springs captive?

I need to certify slotted brake discs, steel braided brake lines and about 25mm lower. But unsure how to make the rear springs captive?

Get the shocks shortened

Not sure the slotted brakes or braided lines need a cert, but if you already have one the lowering will.

Not sure the slotted brakes or braided lines need a cert, but if you already have one the lowering will.

If you modify a brake component it needs certing, i already have a cert plat for adjustable suspension but it's certed for 100mm. I think i can get it recerted for a bit cheaper than a normal cert from what i hear.

If you modify previously certed brake components it might - does it apply if they are still standard. These are the WOF rules:

Table 8-1-1. Modifications that do not require LVV certification

Fitting of or modification to: LVV certification is not required provided that:

Aftermarket brake rotors

• the substitute rotors are:

– the same size as the OE rotors, and

– catalogued aftermarket items for that make and model of vehicle (and can include crossdrilled and/or slotted types), and

– attached to unmodified OE parts.

Aftermarket brake pads, linings and hoses

• in-service requirements for condition and performance must be met.

In service requirements for brake lines

A flexible hydraulic brake hose (including connections):

a) is leaking brake fluid, or

B) is insecure, or

c) bulges under pressure, or

d) is twisted, stretched, chafed or

e) external sheathing is cracked to the extent that the reinforcing cords are exposed, or

f ) has metal connections that are excessively corroded, or

g) has an end fitting that is not attached to the hose

by means of swaging, machine crimping or a similar process (Note 3).

Note 3 Hose end fittings that can be undone using hand tools are unacceptable.

If you have braided lines that have the specific stamp/markings on the hose, they don't need a cert correct? I have to attempt to get a warrant with mine in a week or so.

If you modify previously certed brake components it might - does it apply if they are still standard. These are the WOF rules:

Cheers Cam, that helps.

Nathan - as I understand it, as long as they meet the inservice requirements (in the post above) they are fine - that means swaged or crimped ends and it probably means a protective coating. I don't think they focus on any stamp/marking any more. They have changed the rules a few times though, so I am not 100% confident on that.