Sign in to follow this  
oscar90

A 518i...yes a 518!

That thing would be so slow he's probably still waiting for it to be delivered.

Wouldn't pull a greasy sausage off a plate, not my cup of tea LOL!

There was one for sale on here maybe last year? Had hubcaps though, just needed a M60 etc to be a ultimate stealth bomber. In regards to E30's, a 318i isn't much slower than a 320i with better fuel economy so I guess the same could be said for anyone with a E34 520i?

There was one for sale on here maybe last year? Had hubcaps though, just needed a M60 etc to be a ultimate stealth bomber. In regards to E30's, a 318i isn't much slower than a 320i with better fuel economy so I guess the same could be said for anyone with a E34 520i?

Could be mate, but the 6 cylinder unit obviously has more torque to haul around that extra weight at lower RPM, I'd say that car would be quite the wet blanket especially around town.

that is sweet! i didn't know they existed. i always wanted a e34 as a daily and a 518 would make it perfect. man it got good kms to a tank. i want one.

You've got to be kidding.!!

Go for it mate he wont be crushed in the rush.

that is sweet! i didn't know they existed. i always wanted a e34 as a daily and a 518 would make it perfect. man it got good kms to a tank. i want one.

Throw some 540i badges on it and a repco exhaust tip and the average joe wouldnt know the difference anyway

E30s are slow with M40, i cant imagine E34 with that! according to Wikipedia, only 53,254 examples (in the world one can only assume)

E30s are slow with M40, i cant imagine E34 with that! according to Wikipedia, only 53,254 examples (in the world one can only assume)

Put your car on the track against a 318i m40 racecar and see which is slower....

To the best of my knowledge they were just sold in the UK as a poverty, fuel efficient pack!

Didn't know of their existance either - until a couple of years ago when I sold an M40 alternator to a guy with an E34 M40. Then again, probably no surprise - The E12 came as 4 cyl option, probably E28 too (not sure on that though) I would imagine them a bit of a slug though

Holy crap, all these opinions and yet no one has driven one. Well i HAVE and they are equal to many jap cars of similar size and engine capacity. So unless you know then why not STFU. Getting real tired of all the KNAC's on this forum.

KNAC = know all c*^ts.

Holy crap, all these opinions and yet no one has driven one. Well i HAVE and they are equal to many jap cars of similar size and engine capacity. So unless you know then why not STFU. Getting real tired of all the KNAC's on this forum.

KNAC = know all c*^ts.

Wow. They were just having an innocent laugh at it, no need to get tense.

KNAC = know all c*^ts.

Settle down sweetheart, it's just a forum.

What Jap cars of that size have a 1.8 litre engine with 77kw & 140nm (if it's the same spec as the 318i ?)

My grandad owned a 518i in Scotland, very big comfy car apparently, but also cheap on tax.

Put your car on the track against a 318i m40 racecar and see which is slower....

thats like comparing apples to pears... since when do people compare a stripped out racecar to a stock standard engined cruiser with full options?

At least it's a manual. I'd rather have it than a 520i auto.

agreed

Edited by ethrty320

Love it how its too ashamed to have a 518i rear badge. :)

Was probably an un-ticked option. :D

Why are all the mint examples of older BMW's always the lowest spec'd ones?

Was probably an un-ticked option. :D

Why are all the mint examples of older BMW's always the lowest spec'd ones?

because they don't go fast enough to get thrashed and their owners are generally nana's ...

I've driven an E28 518i had the m10 motor in it and manual. Drove fine for what it was. I've also driven an E34 with the M40 & M43 engines ... all were manual... underpowered, but still fine to drive. I don't know what the fuss is all about. I spose its a bit like the bashing of the E30 316's. Most of the F/L E30 316's with the M40 engines in them drive just as well and in some cases better than the 318's even though there is an engine size difference. Like the one I sold to Matt last year. Ollie & Bravo have driven that car too. In auto, I would have to agree that they would be slugs to drive, but I havent driven any auto 518's, but still sensible vehicles built for a purpose (fuel efficiency)

Holy crap, all these opinions and yet no one has driven one. Well i HAVE and they are equal to many jap cars of similar size and engine capacity.

+1 I totally agree with you John. Criticism of a vehicle most don't even know exists, let alone, have driven, which I have. These vehicles were purpose built for fuel efficiency to compete with other manufacturers and keep people in the BMW fold.

It'd beat a 540 down a windy hill with that small lump o iron in the front...