Sign in to follow this  
oscar90

A 518i...yes a 518!

Settle down sweetheart, it's just a forum.

What Jap cars of that size have a 1.8 litre engine with 77kw & 140nm (if it's the same spec as the 318i ?)

Nissan did a CA-18 Skyline and Laurel that would be equally lethargic… Holden did an crap Opel 2.0 powered VN Commodore for the NZ market.

Thinking about it if this is a twin-cam 1.8 in a five series it would be as equally good/bad as a MM20 520i.

Just showes how far cars have come.

Thinking about it if this is a twin-cam 1.8 in a five series it would be as equally good/bad as a MM20 520i.

No the E28 M10 is single cam chain drive and the E34 M40 is single cam with cambelt. The E34 M43 is single cam chain drive

It'd beat a 540 down a windy hill with that small lump o iron in the front...

She'd have to be a pretty decent hill ha.

Appart from John and I... may I ask how many on here have driven one ? or even seen one ?

Appart from John and I... may I ask how many on here have driven one ? or even seen one ?

hang-on,i'll go check.

so many cars out back at the moment,were sure to have something that'll fit the bill.

if i do come accros one,i'll pitch it against the the might e23 730.thats now the bench

round here for paddock bashing.

out classes 316's,320's,325's,525's (even on all 6 cylinders)

The car presented on the original thread is in lovely condition going by the photos... better than some of the crap that gets uploaded on here that everyone drouls over. Its a BMW in very good condition... its not a friggen race car. Its a vehicle purpose built for its time and served its pupose for which it was built.

Edited by *Glenn*

The car presented on the original thread is in lovely condition going by the photos... better than some of the crap that gets uploaded on here that everyone drouls over. Its a BMW in very good condition... its not a friggen race car. Its a vehicle purpose built for its time and served its pupose for which it was built.

+1 - Very well put!

One of them wouldn't be my personal choice though. But I cant get over some of the comments. Its a BMW forum.. judge a car by its merits and the reasons why it was purpose built.

She'd have to be a pretty decent hill ha.

I emphasize 'windy' :D

(was mainly thinking of the hairpins down into akaroa harbour, for those who know them)

Edited by Incary

Now that's a confusing situation. I must have had a post from another thread quoted, and deleted the wrong name! They stack up like that when you make the quote button red. You probably know this

Edited by Incary

Guest kis

Hold on a minute Glenn....are you saying people should only have an opinion if theyve owned and driven the car in question and therefore should know what they're talking about ? :o

That would knock 90% of the opinions on Bimmersport right out of the water :P

As you say the 518 was built for a purpose. Ive owned one and it was great. No race car but it got me from a to b with the minimum of fuss and it some comfort. In two years it never needed anything other than an oil service and I sold it for the same price I paid for it. One of the best cars Ive ever owned now I come to think of it.

[note] before anyone gets their panties in a knot, please note the smilies. Opinions are like ar$eholes.....everyones got one.

Nissan did a CA-18 Skyline and Laurel that would be equally lethargic… Holden did an crap Opel 2.0 powered VN Commodore for the NZ market.

Skyline isn't the same size/class as a 5 series and the Holden is a GM Australian car, the chap said Jap car champ, that was what I was responding to :)

0-100 km/h 12.40 s

Top speed 194 km/h (121 mph)

Fuel consumption 6.8/8.6/11.0 l/100km 90 km/h / 120 km/h / urban

Power-to-weight 81.62 bhp/ton

On paper its no slower than my auto E30 320i

thats like comparing apples to pears... since when do people compare a stripped out racecar to a stock standard engined cruiser with full options?

You stated m40 e30's were slow. If you look at the e30 race series the 320i and 318i's are evenly matched. Therefore if you want to compare apples with apples (stock 320i vs stock 318i m40 - again evenly matched) you would also be saying your own 320i was slow would you not?

Also a manual 318i m10 is only 1sec slower to 100kph than an auto 325i according to factory bmw figures... Thats not comparing apples with apples, however the 0-100kph times are still comparable.

You stated m40 e30's were slow. If you look at the e30 race series the 320i and 318i's are evenly matched. Therefore if you want to compare apples with apples (stock 320i vs stock 318i m40 - again evenly matched) you would also be saying your own 320i was slow would you not?

Also a manual 318i m10 is only 1sec slower to 100kph than an auto 325i according to factory bmw figures... Thats not comparing apples with apples, however the 0-100kph times are still comparable.

True but did i say my 320i was fast?

*Raises hand*

Hold on a minute Glenn....are you saying people should only have an opinion if theyve owned and driven the car in question and therefore should know what they're talking about ? :o

That would knock 90% of the opinions on Bimmersport right out of the water :P

Lol....and the post whores wouldn't have anything to talk about either Liam :D

I think this thread has reached the zenith of it's productive capacity & therefore should be locked for our own safety :)

Now that's a confusing situation. I must have had a post from another thread quoted, and deleted the wrong name! They stack up like that when you make the quote button red. You probably know this

Actually I had no idea ha.

And 0-100 in 12.4s, jeez I could have a nap while I waited :P

Edited by westy

I agree with Glenn, there's 316's, 518's, and 725's for a reason

IMO, if you bought a 518 you're getting a lot of car for not much price, and in Auckland traffic it'll serve it's purpose.

Edited by pando