Sign in to follow this  
dubman

K & N air filter

Thinking of upgrading to a K & N panel filter, do they increase performance at all? or is it just a better replacement filter than OEM ones?

Thanks for the help.

No increase to my knowledge. There was a guy in the States that did some testing of various makes/styles (inc K&N) & his results reaconed OEM version was better.

it depends what you are testing for.

an oem one will be better at filtering but not such a good flow,

KandN are in the middle with filtering and flow,

I think the likes of bmc and simota are good for flow but crap for filtering,

The flow will make you go faster, the filtering will keep your engine in one peice

I run a kandn on my racecar with a cia and it made a noticable difference than the oem one. but without a cia i think you would be better off getting a kandn panel filter.

it depends what you are testing for.

an oem one will be better at filtering but not such a good flow,

KandN are in the middle with filtering and flow,

I think the likes of bmc and simota are good for flow but crap for filtering,

The flow will make you go faster, the filtering will keep your engine in one peice

I run a kandn on my racecar with a cia and it made a noticable difference than the oem one. but without a cia i think you would be better off getting a kandn panel filter.

Not my experience & I haven't tried K & N panel version but the test I am referring to - he was referring to flow rates. How accurate the test was though - I'm not sure

Have done the test on Gavin's dyno, K & N, oem and pipercross, no recordable difference between the 3 of them, on a M40.

I bought a Simota for 50 bucks from BNT.

No difference, not even Placebo.

K&N means DIY cleaning so no more buying filters, cost to benefit after a few services

^^This is the main benefit. Plus increased induction noise. No noticeable performance difference, and possible decrease with non-heat-shielded pod variety.

The Simota panel although it is half the depth of stock and is cleanable I felt performed worse than stock.

I found the Facelift Airbox with a K&N filter gave me a little more torque. Could be something to do with the restricter inside the airbox. Much better than the pre facelift airbox.

I just took out my current filter and it doesnt look OEM. OEM ones are thick rite? It's already a panel filter, looks like an unknown brand.

You can get generic paperfilters from Supercheap/repco that fit.

unless it needs replacing I wouldnt bother, you wont notice the difference. The stock ones from FRAM are about $30-40, I'd go for a Simota just becuase its cleanable. Wont make sod all difference to performance but you wont have to throw it out and get a new one next time. IIRC the K&N panel filters are about $140 :(.

Simotas are $50 off trademe link me

Or $65 from BNT.

Otherwise see your dealer about OEM replacement.

Edited by bmw3

Well, doesn't do anything to performance, is better than losing performance with a cheap cone filter ;)

I have a K&N panel filter for F/L e30 you can have for cheap. Second hand, but in as-new condition. Regularly cleaned and oiled.

Make me an offer over PM. I don't need it as I went to a CAI pod type setup with the supercharger so it's been sitting on a shelf in my garage waiting for a new home. Would love to see someone get some use out of it.

I have a K&N panel filter for F/L e30 you can have for cheap. Second hand, but in as-new condition. Regularly cleaned and oiled.

Make me an offer over PM. I don't need it as I went to a CAI pod type setup with the supercharger so it's been sitting on a shelf in my garage waiting for a new home. Would love to see someone get some use out of it.

OT - but when do we get to see some vids Graham?!

I kind of forgot about them as I couldn't find editing software that had a codec that would let me edit them. I can play them fine in VLC, but when it comes to editing them, even Sony Vegas Pro couldn't open the video part of the file (audio is sweet).

SO one day when I'm round at a mates who knows more about it than me I'll have another go.

Prob should take some more too.

Sorry for thread hijack, but we're done here aren't we?

PS. Buy my K&N dubman.

Man, If I knew you had that I would've grabbed it over buying this Simota.

had a k&n panel filter in my old facelift 325 took the little snorkel bit out of the air box an reassembled the old one was a oem one bought from Shelly bmw by the previous owner(friends in the dealership i was told) did notice it was a little more free reving from 4k an up on a calm winter night in good old tauranga. new set me back 120 from memory from ripco.

hope ya keepin it oiled jared(Eagle) ^_^

Edited by GASTKR

Was thinking of getting a K&N panel next month but if it restricts peformance maybe not.

had a k&n panel filter in my old facelift 325 took the little snorkel bit out of the air box an reassembled the old one was a oem one bought from Shelly bmw by the previous owner(friends in the dealership i was told) did notice it was a little more free reving from 4k an up on a calm winter night in good old tauranga. new set me back 120 from memory from ripco.

hope ya keepin it oiled jared(Eagle) ^_^

Actually sold it to my mate and brought a few OEM Mahle ones from the states($15 each). Didn't notice any different between them bar slightly increased induction noise with the K&N. No need to worry about oiling anymore

Was thinking of getting a K&N panel next month but if it restricts peformance maybe not.

I don't think it's so much that it restricts performance as there is no longer a cold air feed to it. 90% of people will remove all the factory piping including the cold air feed to the OE airbox. So it's now sucking in all the warm are from the engine bay.

If you properly duct cold air to it or create a cold air box (like the OE systems are) then you will get a performance increase. This is why you see a lot people go on about how a replacement panel is better than a pod filter.