Sign in to follow this  
soarer260@hotmail.com

Converting a M60B40 to run a Toyota 5/6 speed manual?

Hmmm, so I was thinking tonight.

Is it possible to use Toyota W58 or R154 manual gearbox with a custom made bell-housing to fit to a M60 V8?

Or the Supra Getrag V160/161's

I suppose anything is possible, but I would imagine it would be the cheapest way to change a 540i lofty automatic to a manual.. since getting an OEM gearbox is next to impossible unless you spend a heap importing one.

Thoughts on this guys? Has anyone converted an M60 to manual in anyway?

:unsure:

Edited by Mike-E34

Isn't the 6 speed in the Supra about $6k? Not that cost effective. I can sell you a whole manual Supra for $10k or so.

Rileys was a Lexus V8 to a Toyota box I 'm pretty sure Glenn.

Isn't the 6 speed in the Supra about $6k? Not that cost effective. I can sell you a whole manual Supra for $10k or so.

Rileys was a Lexus V8 to a Toyota box I 'm pretty sure Glenn.

Ooops...yes it was. Sammy's was a M60 to Toyota

If I was doing it, I'd make an adaptor plate in alloy 20-25mm thick and a steel spacer for the crank the same thickness and use longer bolts to hold the Toyota flywheel on. The adaptor plate would have to be vey well profiled though, otherwise you would end up damaging gearbox mainshaft bearings. You also need the adaptor plate to accomodate the Toyota starter as well. I'm not sure how Sammy did his though. If there is not enough room to use a thick alloy spacer I'd go thinner and make it from steel.

Edited by *Glenn*

Sammy's was a M60 to Toyota

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I swear Sammy imported an E34 5 speed manual box from the states?

I am pretty sure he never did toyota. All BMW.

Riley: Lexus V8 to Toyota Gearbox

Sammy: BMW V8 to BMW Gearbox

Comparing the price of me getting my box vs a toyota box - I don't think the price difference is that great at all? Only issue is sorting the shipping

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I swear Sammy imported an E34 5 speed manual box from the states?

Correct

Your right.. I was wrong on both counts. I have read somewhere about using a Toyota box.. cant remember though

Did Mike go that way with his race car? I know Andy Culpin was looking at it for Babbs car.

Seem to recall one of the race cars is running a toyota box?

Didn't Andrew on here get a toyota box for his m30 turbo.. Maybe hit him up see how much it was for the bellhousing adapter to be made or whatever.

I'm sure that black e30 m3 with the v10 m5 engine has done similar, I saw pics and it is using an adapter plate and a different manual box.

The adaptor plate made correctly is probably going to cost between $500 & $1000

I know of someone through a firend with a Camry gearbox on the back of an M70 in his offroader, so if the M70 and M60 have the same bellhousing then it should fit. iirc it bolted straight up with no modification. not sure if any modification needs to be used to fit it into a BMW though

Guest Ari Gold

The 6 spd supra manuals are the same gearbox as in the E46 M3's. S6S 420G for the E46, Type D for the Supras - same internals, the casings are slightly different.

Didn't Andrew on here get a toyota box for his m30 turbo.. Maybe hit him up see how much it was for the bellhousing adapter to be made or whatever.

I'm sure that black e30 m3 with the v10 m5 engine has done similar, I saw pics and it is using an adapter plate and a different manual box.

One Andrew had a g260 cut and rotated for his, then, 318is turbo???

Pretty Sure he ment Andrew = Andrew3000 ? isnt he building a m30 turbo ?

Anything can be made to fit anything, W58 is a good gearbox but a lot of them need work vs importing a mint BMW direct fit gearbox

Its pretty easy to spend $1000 sorting out an old toyota bo

You would have a higher diff ratio though anyways wouldn't you? (no idea about e34's, but e30 autos all had higher ratio diffs vs the manual versions). So it would balance out?

You would have a higher diff ratio though anyways wouldn't you? (no idea about e34's, but e30 autos all had higher ratio diffs vs the manual versions). So it would balance out?

that could be another issue the 540 have a really L O N G ratio rear end 2.79 or something.

that could be another issue the 540 have a really L O N G ratio rear end 2.79 or something.