Sign in to follow this  
StrikerNZ

First car, first bimmer, though I'd say hi

Hi guys, just bought my first car, a 1989 316i in good straight tidy nick, and in the process of learning about it I stumbled upon these forums.

I've spent far too many hours already reading through the wealth of info on here and drooling over pictures of members cars.. you guys have got some real gems!

My car is pretty close to bog-standard, apart from an upgraded head-unit and lowered springs put in by the previous owner. Paint and body is nice and tidy, as is the interior, apart from the usual problem with the base of the front seats and the split dash, although it has a carpet on it now anyway.

No p/s, a/c, p/w - so pretty basic, but it has potential.

I've built a small list of things so far that I would consider doing sometime as opportunity and finances allow;

-At least 2 tires will need doing in 4-6 months, so when that's getting near I'll be hoping to stumble over a good set of second-hand alloys with decent tires left on them - only slightly dreaming with this one :P

-Get the windows tinted at some stage perhaps

-Boot lip spoiler, if I could find one I considered suitable

-iS style front kit lip, or similar

Anyway, here're some pictures for you-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've had to take the back mudflaps off because they were scraping over speedbumps with a fullish car, although I might get some floppy ones to put on again, just to protect the paint..

I've also had the timing belt and related tensioners done too, although it was still well inside the KM's travelled guide, it was over 7 years since last done.

Cheers, Michael

Mud brown all the way!

Yeah, I'd seen that thread, and can't confirm yet, but there's a reasonable chance I'll be out at levels for the racing.. Hope to be though. :)

welcome to bimmersport, but more importantly, welcome to the 1 smiley headlight club :)

welcome to bimmersport, but more importantly, welcome to the 1 smiley headlight club :)

wtf is up with that anyway? you see that all the time lol. Has everyone just crashed on one side or what? lol

OP welcome to the fest! Thats the same as my car started out as a LONG time ago, except mines the 2L.. they are SO much fun to work on and play around with... youll love it :)

Nice!

Welcome to Bimmersport. Come to our meat.

Edited by antil33t

It's Emma's cars twin!

Very cool, well done dude.

Tidy car mate! I love manual windows and who needs air con when you can cruise with the windows down.

check trademe daily, one good tyre-mag deal will pop along, then pounce on them once you do. altho most of the good deals require spacers to run them (in my experience)

Edited by dubman

IMO all ya need to do is leave it like it is. Just get some more black on the tyres and trim. Besides, it looks super tidy already and hubcaps are straight baller. Stock coolness FTW!

Yeah.

Welcome! Looks really tidy.

I'm sure people on here can help you out with most of the things you want to get done to it.

Save up and convert it to run a M50B25 + Getrag 240 and you will be away with a real rocket. :)

Na mate, keep it stock, or atleast do a few small mods to it OR return it back to stock when selling it. Far too many people doing M50 at the moment. Theres not going to be many standard E30's left. :(

Cheers for all the welcomes :)

I'm pretty impressed myself with how straight and tidy it is, and I'll do my best to keep it that way..

Bonus of the lack of powersteer is that I get lovely road feel, especially on the open road, although some of that may just be the way the car is?

Cheers for all the welcomes :)

I'm pretty impressed myself with how straight and tidy it is, and I'll do my best to keep it that way..

Bonus of the lack of powersteer is that I get lovely road feel, especially on the open road, although some of that may just be the way the car is?

Oh yeah. They have awesome road feel. Made even better with koni shocks and king springs, but yeah they handle nice compared to a lot of other cheap cars!!

Welcome,

Sweet color, See alot of the new cars coming out in the browns.