Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

Suby or BMW?

Which car?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, so I'm thinking about ditching my Twin Turbo RS Legacy for a daily driver E30 or E21, but i don't know if i should :unsure:

See the thing is, i will probably miss the power, and does an E30 really look as good?

Keep in mind I'm young (19) and single, not so into my Rice but its what people my age seem to know...

Just after some opinions, i've seen a very good looking e21 that needs some work on trademe, as well as plenty of 318 E30s for about $3k, which is what i believe my subaru to be worth.

So will i regret it? Or will i be stoked with the better fuel economy?

BTW my other car is an E30 320 racer...

Links:

E30

E21

Edit: Would also love to have a sunroof again!! I loved mine for the 3 weeks i had it before i taped it shut to stop the leaks and then cut it out :lol:

Edit2:

or even a Bauer? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-275515497.htm

My car:

Posted Image

Edited by huff3r

Look at the rust in the sunroof of the e21. Why would they photo that?

318is are pretty slow but I find if you don't try to rush them they are kinda alright around town. They are more fun to drive slow than fast lol.

Hmm.. just thinking about the $600 i could save on insurance :o

I just need to be convince that either A. im stupid or B. its a good idea :lol:

Look at the rust in the sunroof of the e21. Why would they photo that?

318is are pretty slow but I find if you don't try to rush them they are kinda alright around town. They are more fun to drive slow than fast lol.

Yeah, that is a little off-putting. The whole car seems to suggest poor maintanence, looking at the interior details, but i dont mind a little project. I mean it is cheap.

The E21's suffer from rust really bad, i reackon you would find lots more different spots of rust everywhere. In saying that it is a old car what do you expect.

E30 318i would be a nice little daily, and parts are easier to source than E21's.

get the e30 if you want a good daily driver thats economical. 3rd party Insurance is around 400 for me, and i'm 19 as well. the e30 seems to be the better financial decision.

get the e30 if you want a good daily driver thats economical. 3rd party Insurance is around 400 for me, and i'm 19 as well. the e30 seems to be the better financial decision.

Yeah, I had my 320 insured for just over $300 before i modified it haha, but im not massively fussed on cheapest right now, I've applied for a job in the airforce so if i get in then cash-flow wont be a problem, and if i dont... well i'll keep on delivering pizza for now haha.

My car should be worth at least 3k i'd imagine, leaving me a bit of room hopefully...

What about the bauer? I'm not sure, but I can't see a reason for it to fail a WoF apart from the rear windscreen.... is a hood + screen even a requirement for a 'vert? (Just thinking maybe i could get the current owner to get it a WoF as is if i decided i want it ;) )

Having had both single and twin turbo Subarus as well as a 318i and now an E21 my opinion is that you have to love the BMWs for their style and looks, forget performance. The lLegacy will give you that rush everytime you floor the accelerator, none of the BMWs you mention can match that. Keep the Legacy (unless it is about to die) and save up for a BMW. Test drive the BMWs first and leave for a few days then make a decision. All the best!

Having had both single and twin turbo Subarus as well as a 318i and now an E21 my opinion is that you have to love the BMWs for their style and looks, forget performance. The lLegacy will give you that rush everytime you floor the accelerator, none of the BMWs you mention can match that. Keep the Legacy (unless it is about to die) and save up for a BMW. Test drive the BMWs first and leave for a few days then make a decision. All the best!

Yeah, i definitely know the rush will be gone, but i think i could deal with that haha. As long as i can make it sound as quick ;)

I am really likeing the style of the E21, its so different compared to the E30 and the Baur is just awesome. Or rather it could be :D

We'll see if my racecars legal soon enough, can't sell the suby till then at the earliest

Baur ftw. Love them.

E30 would be the logical decsion though. parts are easier to get than the E21 as stated, and better fuel economy in theory being fuel injected. get a late model though. M10 is aparently.. well.. not great (no experience to back this though)

OT but what did you apply for in the Air Force? Ive got my interview coming up shortly.

Aircraft Technician. Intakes in September so i'd be off to Blenheim for the pre-entry course in May... Whatre you going for?

Yeah the Baur looks sooo tempting. I'd imagine i'd fix it up quite rangi to start with till i could afford to finish it nicely, but the idea of a convertable appeals. And it looks pretty damn good with its top up even!

As for the E30s. Hmmm... not really a fan of the facelift haha. I know I'll get flamed for this, but the black bumpers look tacky next to the chrome i reckon (or at least on my lachsilber they would!!)

BTW I'm also open to suggestions, but if you so much as mention corolla, laser, etc i will not even dignify it with a responce :rolleyes:

Edited by huff3r

$1000 cambelt change.

I don't think I need to add anything else to this thread. You know my answer Paul.

$1000 cambelt change.

I don't think I need to add anything else to this thread. You know my answer Paul.

Umm yeah $1100 in the end, and $1300 clutch + flywheel... hmm... haha, but its fun...ish..

You could buy a cheap PFL 318i for the same price as a cambelt change....lol

You could buy a cheap PFL 318i for the same price as a cambelt change....lol

Haha yeah. I'm soooo tempted to get someone to check out that E21 Baur though... gotta fix up the E30 and sell the suby first no matter what i buy, but yeah. They are an expensive car to run and a pizza-delivery wage just doesnt cut it. Especially since its not stuff i can work on myself, too modern and complicated for me!

And going back to a carby would be wicked, my first car was a carbied telstar and the induction noise was the coolest gurgle sound haha.

+1

I miss my legacy gtb every day because of this, what i do not miss is that lag between the two turbos lol. How much you selling your rs for ?? im keen

I have had wrx's, rs's and a gtb...obviously now own a 318 but to be honest even with the lesser power the Bimmer is a much more comfortable ride and *surprisingly* still got some guts.

I found that turbo subbies perform better at around or over 4k rpm and open road about 120, and considering our speed limit is 100 it's not suitable.

Personally i prefer the earlier rs's, trouble is it's hard to find a decent one that hasn't been thrashed.

I guess it depends on your maintenance budget, Subbys when they go wrong cost a sh!tload too repair up too about 1500 for a headgasket replacement.

+1

I miss my legacy gtb every day because of this, what i do not miss is that lag between the two turbos lol. How much you selling your rs for ?? im keen

Ummm... well i got it for $3600, put in a $500 alarm, $1100 cambelt and $1300 clutch and flywheel, oh and $600 worth of tyres haha, but I'd be happy with somewhere between $3500-4000 if i sold it. Enough to get me a new car and keep it running really :lol:

Not too sure if i'll sell it yet, but maybe $3500 to a bimmersporter could be fair. Or swaps for one of the above mentioned cars in good condition maybe haha

I have had wrx's, rs's and a gtb...obviously now own a 318 but to be honest even with the lesser power the Bimmer is a much more comfortable ride and *surprisingly* still got some guts.

I found that turbo subbies perform better at around or over 4k rpm and open road about 120, and considering our speed limit is 100 it's not suitable.

Personally i prefer the earlier rs's, trouble is it's hard to find a decent one that hasn't been thrashed.

I guess it depends on your maintenance budget, Subbys when they go wrong cost a sh!tload too repair up too about 1500 for a headgasket replacement.

I find mines plenty happy at 3k rpm, due to the twin turbos it kinda runs out of puff at higher revs. I could be wrong also, but i think because its the earliest model of TT it has a slightly smaller primary, and very little VoD really... i mean its there, but my mates B4 is waaay worse!

Yeah the Baur looks sooo tempting. I'd imagine i'd fix it up quite rangi to start with till i could afford to finish it nicely, but the idea of a convertable appeals. And it looks pretty damn good with its top up even!

As for the E30s. Hmmm... not really a fan of the facelift haha. I know I'll get flamed for this, but the black bumpers look tacky next to the chrome i reckon (or at least on my lachsilber they would!!)

The thing with a Baur is that they are a love hate car.. there doesnt seem to be a middle ground, which makes a restored one quite desirable, and if it cant sell here should you try to, an overseas buyer will import it.

I know what you mean eh. I considered retrofiting (thats the wrong word.. whats the opposite called???) chrome bumpers onto my facelift but never came to anything since i picked up the full Tech2 bodykit for $200 (no typo there!). pretty much every other thing is better about facelifts though

+1

Yep. Dreaded VOD. I have a sequential controller in mine, and a hybrid VF18/31 primary turbo. The seq. controller does a great job of minimising the vod, but ever since i put the new primary on I'm finding that VOD is much worse.

Next step is to single turbo it. I'll never sell this car, its my preciousssss lol. + With the bigger sway bars, bilsteins, and healthy bushes, the twisties are sooo much fun!

Guest Simon*

Aircraft Technician. Intakes in September so i'd be off to Blenheim for the pre-entry course in May... Whatre you going for?

Im doing the same thing haha. Ill hopefully be doin the pre-entry course in may too

Good men! Did my time, loved it. Great career choice :)

sh*t I sound like a recruiting officer! :ph34r:

Ummm... well i got it for $3600, put in a $500 alarm, $1100 cambelt and $1300 clutch and flywheel, oh and $600 worth of tyres haha, but I'd be happy with somewhere between $3500-4000 if i sold it. Enough to get me a new car and keep it running really :lol:

Sounds like you've spent a fair bit on maintenance lately, why don't you keep it for a bit longer to make the most of it while you know nothings going to go wrong?

Altarnatively you can buy dudlee for less than your budget... 318i 4 door manual.

Edited by tastic