Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

Suby or BMW?

Which car?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sounds like you've spent a fair bit on maintenance lately, why don't you keep it for a bit longer to make the most of it while you know nothings going to go wrong?

Altarnatively you can buy dudlee for less than your budget... 318i 4 door manual.

Yeah, thats possibly the more sensible choice. Maybe i should wait till after the Airforce Recruit Course (if i get in!!).

As for the "nothings going to go wrong". Umm.. it is a Subaru, something will always go wrong :lol:

Driving it this morning remembered how much i love how effortless everything is, especially things like Tawa on-ramp going North, none of the above cars would hit 100 by the time they reached the motorway but the RS will :D

Choices suck :unsure:

You will miss the Subaru I'm sure. I've had 2 of them. First one was an utter piece of sh*t BC Legacy GT, which was my first car, but I loved it. I then bought another one later on, but it had a possumlink ecu, split fuel rails, sti turbo, equal length headers and all these other bits. 2 inches worth of receipts. It was absolutely mint. I actually still regret selling it.

I say use it and appreciate it up until something else goes wrong, you may as well enjoy the money you've put into it

Good men! Did my time, loved it. Great career choice :)

sh*t I sound like a recruiting officer! :ph34r:

Were you an Aircraft Technician Simon?

i love how effortless everything is, especially things like Tawa on-ramp going North, none of the above cars would hit 100 by the time they reached the motorway but the RS will :D

I beg to differ.

I know of a certain car that could do that :ph34r:

Edited by Forrest

Reading this thread, it's easy to get the impression from some posts that all BMW's are cheap to run and Subaru's aren't . . .

For a start, you're not comparing apples with apples. The only thing your RS has remotely in common with a 318 is the used $$ value. There's nothing else comparable between them - size, styling, mechanical layout, specifications, performance, driving characteristics etc etc. You're trying to make an emotional decision and then defend it with logic. Fact is, if you want cheap reliable motoring, buy a late model Corolla. Anything else is a calculated risk.

I drive an early Legacy GT single turbo wagon as a daily driver while the M3 stays cosily tucked up in the shed, and i grimace every time i fill the fuel tank. I grit my teeth at only getting 30,000km out of a set of Toyo T1R tyres. I block my ears when I hear talk of head gasket failures, big-end failures, lunched turbo's and CV joints. But I get a perverse grin when I pull out to pass, or see a sign warning of a winding road ahead. It's like owning an M3 station wagon in disguise. Logically, using the GT as a daily driver is not clever in some ways, but I works for me because I can carry crap around when necessary, tow crap when necessary, and carry five people when necessary. These features make it easier to justify my choice of transport. So far, my expense has been limited to maintenance items, not expensive things breaking.

My suggestion is to figure out what your priorities in a vehicle are, and then arrange a test drive if possible in a few of the vehicle options available to you. I'm picking that your decision will then become much easier to make. Remember, you're the one who's going to be driving the car, and you're the one who needs to be happy with it.

My $0.02c

Are Auto 1.8s worth getting?

If you want a Daily driver, autos are better. Especially when traffics slow. Thats damn tidy, but for a straight swap not really worth it. I'd ask cash your way.

If you want a Daily driver, autos are better. Especially when traffics slow. Thats damn tidy, but for a straight swap not really worth it. I'd ask cash your way.

Well I am a pizza boy, so yeah an auto would be great. But im also an enthusiast, and i don't know if an auto could cut it. I havent driven one, but surely it would ruin the cars awesome handling, by removing the potential for engine braking?

potential for engine braking?

I mostly engine brake when its a speed bump. I've got 20 speed bumps on my road <_<

But if you're delivering pizzas, i'm sure i wouldnt be happy if my pizza came all mooshed up :D

I mostly engine brake when its a speed bump. I've got 20 speed bumps on my road <_<

But if you're delivering pizzas, i'm sure i wouldnt be happy if my pizza came all mooshed up :D

They come out fine with the power of the suby getting them round :P

I also ride a motorcycle, so i've learnt a lot about using the engine properly to get around, and to keep grip levels up on corners ;)

I'm probably still sh*t at it tho :lol:

wouldnt go from a RS to a pre facelift 318 auto unless he was paying you to do so lol

Reading this thread, it's easy to get the impression from some posts that all BMW's are cheap to run and Subaru's aren't . . .

For a start, you're not comparing apples with apples. The only thing your RS has remotely in common with a 318 is the used $$ value. There's nothing else comparable between them - size, styling, mechanical layout, specifications, performance, driving characteristics etc etc. You're trying to make an emotional decision and then defend it with logic. Fact is, if you want cheap reliable motoring, buy a late model Corolla. Anything else is a calculated risk.

I drive an early Legacy GT single turbo wagon as a daily driver while the M3 stays cosily tucked up in the shed, and i grimace every time i fill the fuel tank. I grit my teeth at only getting 30,000km out of a set of Toyo T1R tyres. I block my ears when I hear talk of head gasket failures, big-end failures, lunched turbo's and CV joints. But I get a perverse grin when I pull out to pass, or see a sign warning of a winding road ahead. It's like owning an M3 station wagon in disguise. Logically, using the GT as a daily driver is not clever in some ways, but I works for me because I can carry crap around when necessary, tow crap when necessary, and carry five people when necessary. These features make it easier to justify my choice of transport. So far, my expense has been limited to maintenance items, not expensive things breaking.

My suggestion is to figure out what your priorities in a vehicle are, and then arrange a test drive if possible in a few of the vehicle options available to you. I'm picking that your decision will then become much easier to make. Remember, you're the one who's going to be driving the car, and you're the one who needs to be happy with it.

My $0.02c

Ahh, the voice of common sense, I still miss my single turbo RS. CV joints were the only issue in 140,000kms. Cheap transport, Corolla, of pretty much any vintage.

Ahh, the voice of common sense, I still miss my single turbo RS. CV joints were the only issue in 140,000kms. Cheap transport, Corolla, of pretty much any vintage.

BTW I'm also open to suggestions, but if you so much as mention corolla, laser, etc i will not even dignify it with a responce :rolleyes:

I'd go with the Sub any day, far better car IMO. Done a lot of work on a certain GTB, 184,000km and still going strong, it's by far NOT a gas guzzler also.

Will be doing the cambelt very soon, seems fairly easy to do.

I'd go with the Sub any day, far better car IMO. Done a lot of work on a certain GTB, 184,000km and still going strong, it's by far NOT a gas guzzler also.

Will be doing the cambelt very soon, seems fairly easy to do.

Just interested here, how did you manage to make it NOT a gas guzzler? I'm lucky to get 11L/100km and on 95 as well :(

I'm thinking i will stick with the suby for now, and if i can afford to at some stage i might get another E30/E21 as a daily driver/project to go along with the suby, rather than replace it ;)

Didn't make it not a gas guzzler, it never has been bad on fuel, it's manual so is naturally better than an auto.

Oh and you would proberly spend more on a 306 than a Sub.

Didn't make it not a gas guzzler, it never has been bad on fuel, it's manual so is naturally better than an auto.

Oh and you would proberly spend more on a 306 than a Sub.

Mine is a manual too (never owned an auto ;) ) but it is terrible on gas, especially with the primary turbo spinning at motorway cruising speeds! And it doesnt seem to matter whether i drive it quick or gentle, it still keeps sucking it down...

You dont wanna know how much money i lose a week driving it for work :(

anouther frenchie!

Greg. My 306 didn't cost me much at all... just regular maintenance and things you would expect with wear and tear... i.e. control arm bushes, harmonic balancer (170,000km). Give how much abuse the car got it was much more reliable then people thought.

Also, Auckland to taupo with a full car load of GF's crap, spare race tyres, tools, etc.. then 20 laps on the full track, and still had 1/4 of a tank in the car...

Weird? Assume it's the same spec motor than a GTB?

Edit: Just going on the things i've experienced with 306s but in saying that there were proberly Monday morn/Friday arvo ones.

Edited by Greg.

anouther frenchie!

Greg. My 306 didn't cost me much at all... just regular maintenance and things you would expect with wear and tear... i.e. control arm bushes, harmonic balancer (170,000km). Give how much abuse the car got it was much more reliable then people thought.

Also, Auckland to taupo with a full car load of GF's crap, spare race tyres, tools, etc.. then 20 laps on the full track, and still had 1/4 of a tank in the car...

I'm sure i mentioned somewhere previously that i am fussed over looks :lol:

And ugly just dont cut it :rolleyes:

Weird? Assume it's the same spec motor than a GTB?

Not quite, because it's the 1st of the BD5s it has a slightly smaller primary turbo, and only develops 183kw not 205, but i'd expect that to make it better on the gas?

Maybe it needs a bit of maintanence then :lol:

Not quite, because it's the 1st of the BD5s it has a slightly smaller primary turbo, and only develops 183kw not 205, but i'd expect that to make it better on the gas?

Maybe it needs a bit of maintanence then :lol:

206 ;) Not sure what the prob is?