Sign in to follow this  
tire

325i touring log

its on the road. i wasnt on remuera road today. its got primer on both quarter panels, stands out alot when i do hit the roads near Kings lol

^ lol.

Does the goo replace the gasket? or is it just to help the gasket make a seal?

Looks good Max, Keep it up mate!

The goo replaces the gasket. I'm not qualified enough to say why (ask Glenn), but since you seem interested, the procedure is:

-Clean both mating surfaces

-Clean any oil from inside or outside the block that might drip down onto the mating surfaces

-Put a tiny amount of goo on the block surface and sump surface and smear so it covers all of both surfaces very thinly (I finally found a use for my subway card here)

-Run two thin (like 2-3mm) beads around the sump, one inside and one outside the bolt holes

-Fit sump and attach all the bolts just barely finger tight

-Wait at least 30 mins

-Torque sump bolts to 9nm

Cheers for the comment.

Edited by tastic

Herro.

Glenn kindly let me use his workshop and expertise today and I got lots done. Hoists make things SO much easier, as does access to all the tools I could ever need. But the best bit was having Glenn on hand to talk me through things. Twas a very valuable day. Glenn, you're a legend.

- Handbrake was way out of adjustment. Fixed. (actually Chris did this while I looked on and pretended to be learning ;D).

- Control arm ball joints were all rooted. I suspect the very low nature of the car before I got it had something to do with this? Fixed with new control arms. This also got rid of the vague zone in the middle of the steering that seems to plague all E30s. Recommended.

- Urethane control arm bushes. I got these off 'Eagle' with the control arms. I've only done 20ks or so with them but the improvement was very noticeable. Recommended.

- One of my rear shocks was the wrong way around and thus rubbing on the CV boot. Fixed.

- Voigtland lowering springs all around. So far I like the ride with these. The arse certainly doesn't sit down when you boot it like it did with the std springs in, which actually makes the car feel slower heh. The height is nice too.... well on the drivers side at least <_< . Recommended.

- Sway bar reinstalled properly with greased bushes. I didn't know the tabs on the bush retainer were meant to go in that slot...

- Other odds and ends which aren't really worth noting.

Oh yea I almost forgot... its manual now! Some points of interest are:

- Used a G260. Crunches in to 4th if you don't match the revs which took a bit of getting used to but I can pretty much match it automatically now.

- Flywheel somewhat conservatively lightened to 6.8kg. Factory is somewhere over 8kg. I've never driven any other M20B25 so I don't know how much of an improvement this has made but I can happily say I am satisfied with the power my car has. New clutch.

- Trademe short shifter. Its... short. 2nd to 3rd is a really satisfying shift. 1st to 2nd is a bit hard, and reverse is a bit of a guess. I'm going to stick with it.

- Mahogany gear knob (thanks Glenn).

- Rear main seal was clearly leaking so I replaced that.

Some fairly useless pics from the manual conversion:

Manual conversion:

Posted Image

Doing stuff:

Posted Image

Mid progress:

Posted Image

Doing the sump gasket at the same time:

Posted Image

Rear main seal having a piss:

Posted Image

Kelloggs sponsored rear main seal carrier gasket:

Posted Image

Clutch alignment tool:

Posted Image

My WTB list:

-Grey sunroof interior cover!!!!!!!!!!

-Manual window winder handle

-Leather handbrake boot

-Sterling silver drivers side mirror

-Motronic m20b25 intake boot

Max.

Edited by tastic

Boots.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-E30-E36-E34-E46-Z3...=item35a946afd3

Are dirt cheap for the awesome quality they are.

Brought some couple weeks ago, got here in 7 days from the UK. Tis nais.

Good work Max, sounds like it is coming together.

Edit: I see you have a shift boot already, he said to me he would do handbrake/shift separate IIRC.

Otherwise find a black e32/e34 one.

Edited by Hellpina

One more. This ones my favourite :)

Posted Image

Looking good.

You can have a go in my 325i to compare if i can haz a turn in your touring :D

BTW my car wouldn't start the otherday when i was outside yours haha had to wait a good 30min before it cranked over? random...too ashamed to ask for a push start :wacko:

Shot Nath.

Looking good.

You can have a go in my 325i to compare if i can haz a turn in your touring :D

Deal! And thanks.

BTW my car wouldn't start the otherday when i was outside yours haha had to wait a good 30min before it cranked over? random...too ashamed to ask for a push start :wacko:

Ohhh bro you should've just come and asked lol Oaklands has mad respect for E30s. Probs had something to do with it idling for so long? Wierd.

Hey Max, I only just saw this thread... Nice touring! Good to see you've still got duds too. Lol.

Will you be driving down to welly anytime soon? Would be good to catch up.

Glad you enjoyed your experience yesterday Max. Your learning alot and it was a pleasure to be able to help out. The "To do next" list is getting smaller :D

BTW Max...why did you try and kiss the Suzuki Swift on the motorway ?

Edited by *Glenn*

Thanks Sam and Rio. Yea duds is a little trooper! Not planning on coming to Wellington until at least the end of the university year :(

Glad you enjoyed your experience yesterday Max. Your learning alot and it was a pleasure to be able to help out. The "To do next" list is getting smaller :D

BTW Max...why did you try and kiss the Suzuki Swift on the motorway ?

It is indeed! It's very satisfying crossing things off the whiteboard :D

Whats this about a swift? Did Chris snap me doing something naughty?

Thanks Sam and Rio. Yea duds is a little trooper! Not planning on coming to Wellington until at least the end of the university year :(

It is indeed! It's very satisfying crossing things off the whiteboard :D

Whats this about a swift? Did Chris snap me doing something naughty?

No.... the stupid bitch nearly hit you (her fault)... you did a bit of a panic brake.... so Chris said

BTW... are you interested in coming along to have a look at the automated BMW NZ spare parts warehouse in East Tamaki next week ?? If so..let me know

Edited by *Glenn*

Max, The luckiest man on bimmersport, getting to use one of the best BMW workshop in NZ :P

Oh yea I vaguely remember. My experience so far is that having people suddenly decide they want to be in your lane and to hell with you during peak hour on the motorway is an every 5-10 minute thing. I can't really get abusive because I must've done it a couple of times myself while I was learning what lanes I need to be in or what exits I needed to take etc :P

Yes very interested however I'll have to see how unis going. Its hotting up a bit now so I suspect that that Tuesday was the last day I'l be taking off this semester.

Max, The luckiest man on bimmersport, getting to use one of the best BMW workshop in NZ :P

Thank you Micheal :D Something nice for a change from someone

If your ever up this way... call in for a beer

Edited by *Glenn*

awesome progress Max, keen for another ride sometime :P

sh*t I totally forgot, William has been a real GC with lending a hand while I was doing my manual conv! Lifting gearboxes is pucking ghey so thanks heaps man. We'll definitely go for another blast up summit road during the break.

Had a feeling you bought those wheels. haha you need more pics :D

Yea good pics will come soon. I just had a try I make it look like sh*t! I'm rubbing at the back even without the spacers so I need to sort that out and lower the front another inch then I'l do a shoot.

I stole Matts clear sides too :)

Posted Image

Edited by tastic

Need better pics! Did you buy the alpinas?

I can't even remember looking thursday?!

^yesm

Some shineys just arrived:

Posted Image

Good to see the car today max, shes stunning in real life.

I have a grey sunroof head-liner if you want and also intake boot.

I need some money from the black interior to fund my recaros so if you want them within a week then they're yours for 500, otherwise i'll just put them on trademe as need money asap.

Thanks man! Yea I'll take the lot. Il try catch you on fb