Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

"Rangi Mods"

I think its about time we have a "rangi mods" page,

here was a little bit of fun i had, on a fwd 4age, i hate the buggers because their so damn tight.

So any way , i spent 6 hours swearing and managed to undo 4 bolts max, because i got stuck on the crank pulley bolt, some one had put thread locker on it, and torqued it up past 120nm, that was all i could measure, so after failing to obtain a rattle gun, since every one had conveniently misplaced theirs, i decided to go into my "think pad" and i came up with this genius idea, as a careless, see what happens, means to an end.

To my amazement, worked like a charm . . .

Any other strange rangi mods, any of you have resorted to come up with?

Resize your photos please

Edited by *Glenn*

If you did what I think you did, don't try it with a Honda.

and you still have all your toes? to be truely rangi you must have done it in barefeet

Cable Ties can hold a whole car together.

Yes. My front number plate and lip are held on with cable ties.

My rear right brake light is held on with double sided tape. (you would never guess looking at it).

My boot popper mechanism is an improvised bit of string after the cable broke.

My air intake hose is sealed with duct tape.

A special technique involving pliers (known only to me) must be employed to get the bonnet popper to work.

I have drilled several holes in my jack compartment to stop it from filling up with water when it rains hard.

The plasitc compartment under my head unit fits only because I had to file the sh*t out of it.

Some of my exterior trim is held on with improvised washers made from black mesh.

As much as I crave a BMW, often I enjoy owning a toyota more, as I can thrash the sh*t out of it without it missing a beat and rangi fixes really don't matter.

Cost of above "repairs"... probably about $2, haha

and you still have all your toes? to be truely rangi you must have done it in barefeet

Hardly "rangi", we do this on RWD cars to get the crank pulley undone, only thing you can do, of course taking the radiator out goes without saying.

^

+1 on that, done that plenty of times. Id call it Handy, Not Rangi.

LOL on the honda comment glenn, Im sure someone somewheres done that.

how good an idea is this thread?

+1... I'm sure it will go titts up

Hardly "rangi", we do this on RWD cars to get the crank pulley undone, only thing you can do, of course taking the radiator out goes without saying.

We use the proper tool "Mr Rangi" :P

Perhaps we could critique a BMW like the example bellow of a crappy Soarer. :)

I could do that with 30% of what I see on here

I think a little rangi has its place in many cars. Not so much as a substitute for "doing it right" - more for "doing it at all".

My best mate fixed the slop in the gear shift in his Pug 205 with a few strategic zip ties. Believe it or not it works reasonably well and has lasted quite a while.

I tend to forget the rangi stuff I do - quite a bit on the race car - usually I fix it later when its not urgent.

I would take the soarer over half the modified cars on here :lol: . At least it has the balls to make up for its appearance.

gosh my day gets better, bought a water pump from repco, they assured me that while the pump was their "repco brand" identical to genuine. and it did look identical, and bolted up fine, untill it came to bolting up the pulley wheel onto the waterpump, turns out they got the dimensions wrong by 2mm diameter. Which is enough to make it impossible with out either returning the product, or improvising. Having already wasted half a day with the previous frustration. (Block your ears glenn, and dont read this) i decided to drill into the pulley wheel so that the bolts would be able to line up (after carefully measuring), works like a charm. . . . that is not some thing im proud of, but after 5 hours of your day gone, i had had enough. I didnt bother to take photos because it may have frightened some mechanics.

So i have learnt a lesson, if im ever going to buy after market again, (if ever) i will be taking verniers and every thing needed to measure accordingly

haha topspeed...80kph with that wind drag haha

Probably, before you take flight and back flip with all that frontal dynamics

if i posted all the rangi things ive done over the years (all 'ill fix that properly later' things, which i have for the most part) id run out of characters?

*Volvo lip cut using a belt sander and then zip tied on (since replaced with tech2)

*underdash wiring i used packing tape for insulation (since redone)

*sub and amp wiring 'tidyed up' using twistieties (the one time i run out of zip ties is the one time id be using them for what they were desgined for!). also since redone

*various bolts lost and left unattached. get replacements from the yards for free :D

*etc...

also various cases of not so much rangi, but not having the correct tools on hand and improvising. never been unable to get a job done using a jack, a 200piece socket set, a bfh and a hack saw

LML

if i posted all the rangi things ive done over the years id run out of characters?

+1, I enjoy my rangi mods though.

*Volvo lip cut using a belt sander and then zip tied on (since replaced with tech2)

Garden edging + masses of cable ties = rangi ^_^

Posted Image

I replaced the radiator drain bung with a metal bolt with thread seal <.< It still leaks.

other than that though... nothing is too "handy".

Oh, and I have no rego holder pocket, so It's just magically stuck there using magic.

Edited by antil33t

We use the proper tool "Mr Rangi" :P

Oh there's a proper tool? Drill a big f**k off hole in the radiator and use a large extension?