Sign in to follow this  
nickchin1308

Fog lights / Head Lights on during the day?

Hey guys, I always wanted to know this but why do some people turn their headlights / fog lights on during the day?

I see it is quite common around my area here, and sometimes they just look like morons in bright sunny daylight with thier headlights and fog lights haha

I always do it, I drive up the main south road... too many idiots that are pass happy, I wanna make sure they see me rather than kill me LOL

I do turn them off once im back in town though...can't explain those people that drive through town with them on...

800th post

I dont drive with them on in bright sunlight, but i do like to turn them on in anything less... The added visual impact from a car with its headlights on is pretty noticeable (you noticed, didnt ya?) so I think it helps people to see you. :P

In defensive driving, they tell you that you should have your head lights on as much as possible as its better to be more visible.

I personally don't have them on all day, just my angel eyes.

You get noticed....safety with an added "look at me" factor :lol:

^ Yea I love turning on the angle eyes sometimes when it is bit overcast or cloudy as it really does make the car look unique and that 'look at me factor' like u said. No wonder its always the new nice cars that have them on B) u never see an old toyota corolla with its 'angel' lights during the day haha :lol:

Edited by molehole1308

Visibility.

Edited by driftit

^ Yea I love turning on the angle eyes sometimes when it is bit overcast or cloudy as it really does make the car look unique and that 'look at me factor' like u said. No wonder its always the new nice cars that have them on B) u never see an old toyota corolla with its 'angel' lights during the day haha :lol:

Haha yeah Angel Eyes took so good early morning or late afternoon when its too light for headlights still, but you can seel Angel Eyes clearly.

... The added visual impact from a car with its headlights on is pretty noticeable (you noticed, didnt ya?) so I think it helps people to see you. :P

In defensive driving, they tell you that you should have your head lights on as much as possible as its better to be more visible.

^^The two reasons i always frive with them on. its technically illegal to use your foglights in anything other than fog though, but ive never heard of it being enforced.

The basic answer is to be seen on the road - although I suspect that most drivers doing this in Auckland city are not actually doing it for that reason... It is actually a legal requirement to improve road safety in some countries (like Finland).

Headlights on low beam are fine during the day although they do put extra electrical load on the system. Proper daytime running lamps are better still - they are normally a lower wattage and have a different optical pattern. There are some smarts around manufacturers using the headlamps as daytime running lamps (they run them at lower power to extend bulb life and reduce electrical load via a couple of different methods) but this normally only applies where the driver has no option to turn them off.

Using fog lamps in anything except fog is bad, and funnily enough illegal. The photometric requirements are quite different.

You can check the vehicle lighting requirements here or here.

^^The two reasons i always frive with them on. its technically illegal to use your foglights in anything other than fog though, but ive never heard of it being enforced.

I have been told to turn them off, but not fined.

My mate had her Rav4 for 2 years, last year she got pulled over around midnight with her fogs on and was told off. The cops was about to fine her, but she genuinely had no clue on wat a fog light is, or even know where the switch for it is.

Classic female driver moment

Always have mine on, unless of course I forget then I turn them on as soon as I notice.

Visibility mainly. Had a major accident (wrote off an E36 320, the car that got me into bimmers, was mint) because someone couldn't see us apparently.

All my cars are dark colours so always have them on out on the open road-too many blind fwits out there.

i have also got pull over by a cop before and got told if i didn't turn my fog lights off he would fine me $150 .....but the guy sounded like he was on a power trip tho......hasn't stopped me turning them on , i would rather have a fine than die lol

I always have them on because It increases visibility - Certainly on the motorways I encounter fewer right lane hogs when i have my lights on.

I started doing it when i bought my first Subaru; The lights turn off when the ignition is switched off, and back on when the ignition is switched on. So i never bothered using the switch.

Nowdays I have them on even in the BMW.

Edited by -Alias-

I just jump in my car and turn every light on, front and rear fogs all day long to the cows come home, I also try and drive beside graffitied buildings as much as possible for added gangster appeal. Hoooooo yeeaaaaaaaaaaa so gangster.

Posted Image

But seriously. I would say Visibility for 15% of people and the rest are just trying to look as tough as me.

proper fog lights dont cause any issues its the driving lights on commodores Falcons etc that are a pain.Rear fog lights however......(here we go again)

Edited by kiwi535

When my car is on and I turn on the park lights, the main lights come on but only half as bright. They look an orange colour and they are annoying. I think 'cos my car is a UK import?

I pretty much always drive with my headlights on mainly through habit from riding motorbikes.

I always use my fog lights at night, it helps light up more of the road surface without having to use full beams.

Have driven past cops many many times with them on and never been pulled up.

What really grinds my gears is so called fog lights that are mounted right next to the headlights.

Yea they're really going to light up the road underneath the fog level.

What really grinds my gears is so called fog lights that are mounted right next to the headlights.

Yea they're really going to light up the road underneath the fog level.

Exactly, they're not fog lights they're driving lights.

Fog lights are fine. Its driving lights that are a b*tch.

driving lights are quite dim though aren't they?

I was thinking of the really bright yellow ones that some people have right next to their headlights

From what I have seen on the roads recently most people have their fog lamps on because one of their headlights is not working and the other one is carefully angled to dazzle drivers coming the other way :angry: Then their are the other clowns who are driving with full beam on and can't remember where the switch is to dim the lights again, even though they only used it five f$%#ing seconds ago!!

wtf. your not allowed to have fog lights on apart being in foggy condition?? what da hell i drive around with mine all the time and i never get stopped.

i usually have my lights on in the morning driving to the city. safety reasons like making sure the cars beside you and their possibly 1/2 asleep assed drivers can see you.

and other reason is when im at the fast lane and the guys in front of me is doing 90km on his cell phone and wont move aside.