Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Uneven Rear Ride Height

Okay so I have 40mm Eibach springs in the rear of my E30.

I seem to get the drivers side sitting about 1-1.5 inches lower in relation to the arch->tyre gap than the passengers side.

I have heard of this being relatively common in a E30 due to the fuel tank etc.

Have barely marginal difference regardless of whether it is full of fuel or not.

Is it possible that the springs on that particular side have sagged? Or could it be something worse like a bent rear trailing arm/subframe?

Or am I just worrying about nothing, it drives fine, just mainly for aesthetic reasons only at this stage.

Any hints are appreciated, I am going to try some different springs in the meantime to see if it solves the issue.

The shocks are nearly brand new Koni E30 race series adjustables if that makes any diff. Could one of them have collapsed?

Any other thoughts?

Cheers, Nath

Edited by Hellpina

Heres my 2c for what its worth. Shocks wont make a difference at all. Fuel tank wont make a difference (just because the filler is on the side doesnt mean the tank is on the side, the tank is centered)

I have heard of cars sitting on an angle, so that when the driver gets in it is even.. but 1-1.5 inches is ALOT.

Check that you have the same thickness spring pads on each side, and check that the spring is seated properly.

If you think the springs may have sagged it would pay to just swap them over and see what happens.

Swap springs around and see what happens

if it's not the fuel tank then what is it? really interested to find out to be honest!

my brand new shocks and springs did this the minute they were installed! damn it,

drivers side is near perfect/how I want it at the moment, passengers side is way too high, almost a inch i'd say, like Nath said

Nathan, are you springs yellow by any chance? I dont know what brand mine are, but i have eibach decals on my rear windows, and i have the same problems as you do.

^ Nah they are black, maybe it is the springs? I don't know how old they are

Yellow springs are traditionally Kings

Edited by Hellpina

we will try those other springs tonight. i got spring pads too incase.... and i have more bad e30 luck to tell you about.... lol....

Let them settle in, as said if they are still uneven try swapping them around, if that fails fit a new 10m spring pad on the low side to even things out. Well that’s what I did and it worked.

Failing that plug it in and diagnostic it.

just get andrew to reflash the rear ride height part of ur ecu man... thatl fix it.

Maybe ...you could find a heavier GF Nathan ?....level things out for ride height... trouble is they bounce and the next problem will be your arse through the headlining... or on a real good night... my roofs nackered & the sunroof popped out :P

^ Hahaha Glenn. One of the many benefits of having a electric sunroof :lol:

Mine is exactly the same man but maybe only around an inch max, its annoying aye.

I've never ever had the problem on 2 e30's I've owned,with jamex superlows, king spring superlows and ground controls.

Well just put some 70mm compressed M325i springs in the rear. The mismatched ride height is gone and I now have something that resembles stance in the rear. Yay ^_^

looks alot better now mate..... let me know how those springs feel when you drive it so i know if i should use the fronts or not.