Sign in to follow this  
Fabo

E30 323i Performance

Hi, just wondering how much power and if it is worth while to get, hotter cams put in my M20B23, Extractors, 325i Inlet Manifold and a tune?

At the moment the engine is relatively fresh it has done 1200km or less and I am happy with the car, but I would like to push performance higher down the naturally aspirated road just for a while, until I feel I may have to go with forced induction.

Thank You For Your Time

I'd be putting my money into a M20B25 or a M20B28 rather that doing it to the M20B23. You could build something up while still driving your car.

I'd be putting my money into a M20B25 or a M20B28 rather that doing it to the M20B23. You could build something up while still driving your car.

I was thinking about the stroker 2.7 I've heard about parently its quite robust torquey and has power?

2.8 stroker costs about the same for better result. Depending on how you plan to go about it of course.

2.8 stroker costs about the same for better result. Depending on how you plan to go about it of course.

Oh , well if I bought the block and bolted it straight to the m20 head (731) would that be sufficient or would I need more work?

do you know how to go about at b28 stroker? totally different to a b27 stroker.

I suggest the OP has a little look around and do a bit of research before opening half a dozen threads about what he thinks he might like to do or what he actually is going to do or can afford to do.... no offence intended

I suggest the OP has a little look around and do a bit of research before opening half a dozen threads about what he thinks he might like to do or what he actually is going to do or can afford to do.... no offence intended

None taken I just got excited when I knew there was people who could actually answer my questions and knew about it sorry :S

do you know how to go about at b28 stroker? totally different to a b27 stroker.

Funny enough I've never heard about it I'll have a look into it though, thanks

I sold my old m20b25 when I upgraded to my m50 to a friends who had a 323i, he said the difference was huge and well worth it.

I sold my old m20b25 when I upgraded to my m50 to a friends who had a 323i, he said the difference was huge and well worth it.

So a stroking to a 2.7i would be a good option, now to find the block

Cheers

So a stroking to a 2.7i would be a good option, now to find the block

Cheers

stop right there mate , seen it many times, people buying stuff before fully researching

you are talking about the eta m20b27?

i assume yes, they rev limit to 4750 for a reason and that isn't just to do with the head...

also it isn't just a simple bolt on and turn key, most b27 engines by now have done high kms or will need a rebuild.

so just take your time and spend wisely, once you are 100% certain of what you are going to do

That engine pulled bloody hard tho when Pete took me in it one time.

i think i actually said "Why did i even bother with a b20"

stop right there mate , seen it many times, people buying stuff before fully researching

you are talking about the eta m20b27?

i assume yes, they rev limit to 4750 for a reason and that isn't just to do with the head...

also it isn't just a simple bolt on and turn key, most b27 engines by now have done high kms or will need a rebuild.

so just take your time and spend wisely, once you are 100% certain of what you are going to do

Yea that one with the 10.2 cr

I've found a block in Christchurch with new rings and bearings, but not rebuilt. I am aware of the price of rebuilding which is why I'm trying to weigh up the option to turbo it first or stroke it.

Thanks, I'm not 100% that's why I haven't moved lol

That engine pulled bloody hard tho when Pete took me in it one time.

i think i actually said "Why did i even bother with a b20"

lol :D

lol :D

I wasn't a fan of the ETA Block + 731 Head that one of my BMW's came with, it didn't like to rev out and while it felt more torquey then a stock M20B25, it didn't have the top end grunt.

Ie, heres a 0-60mph with ETA block + 731 head

Here's a stock M20B25 in the same car (the ETA engine failed after 2 weeks of me getting the car).

As you can see, it liked to Rev out better with a Stock M20B25

**edit, whoops old post, but it was on the 1st page heh**

Edited by Charles32

Just to cut thro the crap::

AS has been previously noted by Andy & Glenn....forget a 2.7...too much hassle for not that much result.

Research & build a 2.8 stroker..plenty of guys here to give u good advice.

Expect it to cost you $3k minimum if you intend it to last lol.

Are you wanting to stick with the m20 engine? You could look into the m50/m52. If your willing to spend all that money on a stroker i would think the m50b25 would be cheaper?

Go for period mods like Alpina C2 2.7 rep engine or drop in Brent HARTGE535i's worked M5 engine that's for sale at the moment. Be different from everyone else putting in M50 engines into E30's IMO.