Sign in to follow this  
nutter

E30 Project

Hey every one

moms e30 1987 2door 320i manual finaly went bang last week and she has decided to sell it to me, now im lost with either putting another M20 in it but i was thinking would it be just as easy to put the M30 in or what even about the M50 well pretty much the 3 things im looking at is Prices,How easy itis to install and Power gain.

I was thinking of biulding the classic 333i with the M30 3.3l engine but then thought why not just go to the built M30 3.5 engine, what would be your opions on the matter as i know putting a v8 in Would be hard and expensives(i wish i had the know how i love v8s)

so yeah whats engine should i use i would like to take the car to trake days but still legal enough to be a road car(i will be doing certs if required to )

Thanks Gary

LS1 conversion ;)http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-...ar-project.html

Plenty of options for whatever you decide to do, whether you want to be budget conscious or go wild while you have the car apart. A 2.5L m20 is plenty of power to have fun on the track and relatively in-expensive to purchase and install since it will basically bolt into your 320i gearbox etc.

Best of luck :)

V8 too heavy for E30.M50 or M52 is better option.

Yeah i used to have a E34 525i M50 Manual that was my love and i sold it to some one on bimmer and i regret it so much i think he ripped the gear box out and made it auto and then sold it. but yeah M50B25 are so much fun and i find them easy to work on,would probably be choices

But from what i have heard and researched the M52b28 has the same power as the M50B25 and weighs more besides my moms 1998 528i gives her endless hassels where i had no issues with mine(i Really did NOT treat mine well) and which engine would have more potiential ? i like the old M30s are there any problems with them in 3series ?

Edited by nutterbutter

b28 is lighter than m50 because of alluminium block

In NA form the b28 has more potential on the cheap.

If forced induction is your thing then don't bother with an m52.

V8 too heavy for E30.M50 or M52 is better option.

Utter bullshit.

Utter bullshit.

well i was not planning on keeping the suspention stock if im making it more powerfull so i agree with bravo I would love a v8 but i would want to keep it BMW(best cars ever) i was thinking M50turbo but if its going to cost the same as a M60 installed i will just go v8 due to i love the sound and Torque,

so basicly i want a turbo if its under 3l and if its more than 3.5 i want a v8 but the main thing is the prices as of now because i realised its either M50 turbo or M60B4.4(if it fits),i know that its atleast 3-4g to turbo setup a working m50(it will cost more than that beacuse i need to sources the engine first) would it be more or cheaper to get a v8 installed

sorry for so many questions just cant make up my mind and i think that money would be the one that decides

oh yeah all i would really need it to pay for parts i have all the hoist and tools to do most work just stuff like cutting driv shafts and stuff i wont be able to do, MOST STUFF CAN BE DIY

Thanks For the help so far

Edited by nutterbutter

Good sh*t man thanks Thats got some mean help on it thanks i think i will be going towards the v8 just thinking about its a 2door e30 4l v8 it just makes me cream oh well im on the hunt for a engine now if any ones got one and would the 4.4l work and fit or is it just that much to big?hahzhaha lol

thanks gareth

Edited by nutterbutter

Utter bullshit.

Totally agree there. nothing is to heavy for a filthy v8. If you ls1 it then you should twin turbo it aswell and make heaps more power. Then enter it in skidfest or something. Would be fully sick.

if m5x is the route you want to head then dont bother with the m50 unless your boosting it, either go m52 or m54.

the difference from m50 to m52 is night and day and the m54 is on another level

But isn't the M52 so much harder to do (electrically) without going OBD1 or Stand-a-lone?

Utter bullshit.

Can personally vouch that it is bullshit, my v8 e30 was amazing.

But isn't the M52 so much harder to do (electrically) without going OBD1 or Stand-a-lone?

not if you research and do it properly the 1st time.

M50B25, M2B28, M60B40, M62B40 or M30B35. We have them all in stock when you decide which way you want to go.

M50B25, M2B28, M60B40, M62B40 or M30B35. We have them all in stock when you decide which way you want to go.

Thanks HellBM will be contacting you shortly

OMG i got a offer i could not refuse it was a E30 1989 325 auto wof and reg till next year just some clear coat coming off and a rip in the LEATHER REcaros(i think they are they the standard Buckets seats i think) so yeah my plans on the v8 have been put aside for the moment as i want to make the 325 Manual and Do the suspension

Does hell bm do gear boxes as well? how much for a conversion lol ? ill put some photos up of the Coupe(v8 conversion) and the 325i(my little racer project) when i get my pc back up and running

Thanks for all the interset so far

if m5x is the route you want to head then dont bother with the m50 unless your boosting it, either go m52 or m54.

the difference from m50 to m52 is night and day and the m54 is on another level

Depends how much you want to spend. A m50b25 is good bang for buck. M52 a bit more expensive.

what about an M30b35

but I'm a little biased :lol:

Hey there i got a quick question with a manual conversion if i used a manual ECU would i have to stuff around with the sensors or electrial crap that would lets the car start and run? is the ecu plugs any differnt(could i just plug the moanul ecu in and go?) what whould be the easyest way to get the electrical sorted in the conversion ? Thanks GAreth

Hey there i got a quick question with a manual conversion if i used a manual ECU would i have to stuff around with the sensors or electrial crap that would lets the car start and run? is the ecu plugs any differnt(could i just plug the moanul ecu in and go?) what whould be the easyest way to get the electrical sorted in the conversion ? Thanks GAreth

depends are we still talking about a standard m20 E30,

changing the ECU will not make it start

you'll need to bypass the inhibitor switch for the auto,to enable it to start

wires are located under the centre console

I recommend that you get a wiring diagram,

Is there any difference between M20 auto and M20 manual ECU's?

Is there any difference between M20 auto and M20 manual ECU's?

yes, there is a difference, however the auto will still work

yes, there is a difference,

Interesting, I never knew that, how can you tell which is which?

you'll need to bypass the inhibitor switch for the auto,to enable it to start

wires are located under the centre console

I recommend that you get a wiring diagram,

Hey sorry to be such a noob but does any one have a link to the wireing diagram and or could show me one week end where it is, sorry dont have much time to sit on the internet and research any more and cbf spending money on my pc to get it working my e30s more worthy of the money HAHAHAHAHA, but really ive got every thing else sused just lost on wht the inhibitor switch looks like on bmw(all i have owned its stock manual 525i with m50s)

any help on this would be great sorry for being so noob

thanks Gareth

Edited by nutterbutter