Sign in to follow this  
bobybro

Insurances on lowering springs

Hey I was wondering if u put lowering springs in ur car does this effect ur insurance like increasing the price.

Any modifications to your car need to be disclosed to your insurance company. Whether they increase your premium or even refuse to continue insuring you depends on the company.

If your car is involved in an accident and found to be modified (and you haven't notified your insurer) it will void your insurance cover.

i know all about it.... Cant get my car insured... where can i do so? for not to much $$$

i know all about it.... Cant get my car insured... where can i do so? for not to much $$$

You must have some problems if you can't insure a 1.6.

Try CLIC or NAC.

Best option is NAC, if they wont you're probably out of luck.

Its coz the rims have a 2g price tag on the and over a grand worth of sounds.. Pkus the exhaust and the lights and etc.... But think i may try nac!

Best option is NAC, if they wont you're probably out of luck.

yeah man thanks

Its coz the rims have a 2g price tag on the and over a grand worth of sounds.. Pkus the exhaust and the lights and etc.... But think i may try nac!

Often they wont cover you if something like over 50% of the cars value lies in modifications ie wheels, sounds etc.

Often they wont cover you if something like over 50% of the cars value lies in modifications ie wheels, sounds etc.

I got my car valued at 6000 without the mods and have it on paper so i belive the mods will fall into under 50% =s

I got my car valued at 6000 without the mods and have it on paper so i belive the mods will fall into under 50% =s

I like the sound of this valuer - what are their details?

I like the sound of this valuer - what are their details?

buy right cars...

You will have issues, I ended up losing my full insurance and insurance pushed me back to only offering me third party, didn't worry too much as the car will be stuck in the garage for a while.

Will look at swapping insurance companies at a later date when I feel the need for full insurance once again

My 318IS with all add-on's on paper 10k

and NAC made me pay $1400 a year

awh i didnt even know the guy hahaha but i have a 316i so i am no "boi racer" hahahah!

they dont care if your a boi racer or not they just want your money. and they have no way of telling how you drive your car.

Just be aware that if you are refused cover you must disclose this to any other insurance company you talk to if they ask.

Alot of young people get their parents to own/insure their cars for them. Some insurance companies will refuse to pay out if they find out, others turn a blind eye, and some even openly embrace the idea.

My parents owned my first BMW and insured it with the insurance companies agreement. When I got older I took it over and was able to retain my no claims bonus as I had history with the company, and I am still a customer 8 years on with other vehicles, property and contents insurance totalling over $2k a year in premiums, so I guess from a marketing perspective their punt paid off.

Oh, I should add that all my cars have been modified to some extent with all modifications disclosed to the insurance company.

Where did you get this information from?

Where did you get this information from?

I had the same issue with my old e36. Slapped on some 18's, chuck in some sounds and the insurance company said no because the parts where worth X% of the cars value. That was with State about 3 years ago.

Do u know how much the price could go up by if u lower ur car, of soes it all depend on how much the car is valued at

Edited by bimmerbro

The mafia have already heard bout this but my insurance provider Vero refused to cover me if I lowered the car.

Only have 3rd party but its all under my name. 17, couple weeks off 18. Driving for over 3 years, no accidents etc.

Wanted to put some H&R springs in. Only lowered the car about 40mm and they said they wouldn't cover me.

The second time a rang them semi-complaining (as I rang around and every other insurance company and all would insure me, bar AMI, for a very competitive premium) and they put a condition on that they'd increase my excess to $4500! I asked if they were joking as thats half the value of the car!

They wouldn't admit that its because of my age when I questioned them, there excuse was that its more likely to be stolen sitting an inch lower to the ground!

They wouldn't admit that its because of my age when I questioned them, there excuse was that its more likely to be stolen sitting an inch lower to the ground!

Nick... when you translated this after trying to talk to the person you were talking to... you may have been using the wrong language translater.... I had this problem with Telecom today and the person that came to fix our workshop phone , which is still f**ked because Telecum doesnt know how to fix a wall plug that uses a 4 wire system with an internal PABX system (exact words from the technician that turned up....but then again I might have it wrong... he might have been asking for a cup of coffee) :wacko:

Edited by *Glenn*

The mafia have already heard bout this but my insurance provider Vero refused to cover me if I lowered the car.

Only have 3rd party but its all under my name. 17, couple weeks off 18. Driving for over 3 years, no accidents etc.

Wanted to put some H&R springs in. Only lowered the car about 40mm and they said they wouldn't cover me.

The second time a rang them semi-complaining (as I rang around and every other insurance company and all would insure me, bar AMI, for a very competitive premium) and they put a condition on that they'd increase my excess to $4500! I asked if they were joking as thats half the value of the car!

" that its more likely to be stolen sitting an inch lower to the ground!"

Are you serious?

Jesus, I would have had some fun talking to that person! Based on what? They must have read the latest 2010 jd power survey of standard vs lowered vehicles stolen potentiality study?

What a crock!

I have full cover with State. When I lowered my car I rang them and it didn't affect my premium at all as its the only modification I have.

Dont insure stuff under your parents name, ever.

I had my GTSt, co-owned between me and my mother on paper, insured under her name with me as a driver when I was 18. Still cost a fortune in premiums, and the excess was like 2.5k.

Had a prang, rear ended a mitzy galant that decided to randomly throw the anchors on, broke the skylines headlight, bent the chassis on the galant! Written off.. :lol:

I put in a claim for the galant, didnt bother with my car as the headlight was less than the excess.

State insurance investigated the claim, and then sent me a bill for 8k!. Some time, and lots of nasty letters, in court later and state paid up, but I was blacklisted from using state insurance again (Big loss, after that nightmare I wouldnt insure my toilet paper with state. :rolleyes: )

Edited by Jacko