Sign in to follow this  
Hi-Tek

Nissan R32 GTR track car build

^^

James

We haven't completely tested the issue but think it was the spark plugs.

We've re gapped ours and also have a spare set to try at the next trackday.

Edited by Hi-Tek

Jealous, I want adjustable everything!

edit- good thing i'm also doing mods to the e30s50, I don't want you catching up too quick :P

Edited by Jamez

Fitted all the new Ikeya suspension gear

Taking it for a wheel alignment tomorrow to get the camber, caster and toe sorted.

Going to test it at an open day at Hampton Downs next Saturday (July 2nd)

Stock Nissan arms vs new Ikeya stuff

Posted Image

Front upper arms are 15mm shorter than the stock ones

Posted Image

Got the cut off wheel busy and cut off the rear brake backing plates

Posted Image

Rear

Posted Image

Front

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice work guys .. dail in session on the 2nd huh ?

^^

Cheers fellas :) , yea Josh hopefully if it's not raining we'll get to see how things feel.

Did a bit of fiddling today with the ride height and made some adjustments to the hicas eliminator bar.

How the car sits (from centre of wheel to top of wheel arch, 340mm front and 330mm rear)

Posted Image

Front: is just a touch over 4 degrees of camber (still needs the wheel alignment, only half done)

Posted Image

Rear

Posted Image

Edited by Hi-Tek

Took the car out to an open day at Hampton Downs on Saturday.

Here's four laps of me driving poorly (constructive criticism welcome :) )

Managed a 1:15.1 lap on the RaceChrono

How does a noob like me embed the video into my post?

did you use assisted GPS or just the inbuilt GPS on your phone for racechrono?

looks fast, cant wait till James' trackhack day

^

Dubman, just what the Nokia 5230 has inbuilt (have now bought a Qstarz BT-Q818XT Bluetooth GPS receiver)

Did a bit of messing around with a set of Performance Friction Pads that I was given (01 compound) they we're off an NZV8 car so were very close width wise to fitting in the factory calipers. The chap literally has shelves full of them!

They needed ~1.2mm machined off width wise, some slotted holes for the retainer pins and I had to take a few mm off the pad thickness as even second hand they are thicker than the new factory pads (15mm)

Best thing about them is that they were free :) ~$450 for a set of fronts new

Machined the front discs down as they we're, and still are pretty shabby, plus we're changing from an Endless N35s pad to the PFC01s

Posted Image

Messy job, the vacuum helped my lungs :)

Posted Image

Took around .6mm off each end of the backing plate

Posted Image

Slotting the retainer pin holes (~8x6.5mm)

Posted Image

Done

Posted Image

Bought some slicks too!

Posted Image

Also bought a set of 4.3 GTS-4 diffs front and rear for a bit more response

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cut the front brake backing plates off too (figure they'll be going anyhow when we upgrade to a bigger setup)

Posted Image

Edited by Hi-Tek

nice man ... forgot to ask, how didyour new setup go apart from the laptime difference :)

How much did the slicks set you back? do they have any more near new or new ones?

How much did the slicks set you back? do they have any more near new or new ones?

A bit slow on the reply but the slicks we chose were $600 for the set. They range from $50 upwards per tyre.

A bit slow on the reply but the slicks we chose were $600 for the set. They range from $50 upwards per tyre.

Small update,

Made some headway into the 'missing' coming out of certain corners at Hampton Downs.

It's pretty basic but should be good for another year or two.

Single Bosch 044 external pump, spare outlet on the surge tank for another external fuel pump in the future.

Apologies for the cellphone pics, will post some higher res images soon.

Surge tank

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tow Hook, looks wonky but it's just the camera angle.

Posted Image

Was never a fan of Skylines but i'm now in love with GTRs, you've done a fantastic job so far, well done.

Was never a fan of Skylines but i'm now in love with GTRs, you've done a fantastic job so far, well done.

Thanks Greg, I seriously hate Skylines and nearly all things Japanese to be honest.

The GTR is something different though, especially the R32 as it was built for racing....

I'm doing a tour of all things Group A :) , Sierra Cosworth, E30 M3 and now the R32 GTR

I don't bat an eyelid if I see some flat peaker, with his hoodie on over his head in some rangi old R32 GTST etc with a crap blow off valve and stereo up loud so he can gather as much attention as possible.

Edited by Hi-Tek

Be a neat garage if the three group A vehicles were together ha.

The GTR is definitely a special car worth recognition!

I'm doing a tour of all things Group A :) , Sierra Cosworth, E30 M3 and now the R32 GTR

VL commodore? :P

Believe it when I see it :)

Looking nice!!

Did you put the RCA's in the front?

Saw them in the shiny parts pile, but on the assembled pics....

Isn't the GTS-4 rear diff an R200? Vs the R230 of the GTR??

Any strength issues going to arise?

good stuff man, you'll love the unlimited g-force driving now

Rightio chaps,

Not a lot of news on the car front since July.

Bought a set of near new Michelin slicks (only done 12 laps at Taupo). They were used for a back to back test on a NZV8 car to see if the car would be quicker on the Michelins than the current regulation Dunlops. Apparently they were 2-3 seconds per lap quicker than the Dunlops.

Posted Image

We also bought a used brake package from an NZV8 race car for a very good price and got a few sets of brand new Performance Friction pads 01, 03 and 97 compounds, also a few spare sets of Performance friction front discs and Wilwood rears.

In an ideal world we would have splashed out for a set of used V8 Supercar Alcons but currently can't justify spending that kind of coin and were so sick of the factory R32 GTR brakes that we think this will be a good mid-way brake setup.

We have to design and make new brake hats and caliper brackets to get them to work with the GTR.

Posted Image

Front disc dummied up using washers to space out the NZV8 hat to get some measurements.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Front caliper brackets were whipped up at work on the water jet cutter out of 12mm plate

Posted Image

Rear dummied up, I think the easiest thing to do with the rear calipers is to re-drill them from the 135mm Wilwood bolt hole spacing down to 115mm Nissan spacing and we wont have to worry about a caliper bracket which looks pretty tricky for the rear.

Posted Image

Still not convinced there is enough free space to re-drill the caliper down from 135mm to 115mm.

Has anyone been down this path before?

Posted Image

Very very loose mock-up with the wheel on to check clearance.

Posted Image

Also bought a set of 17x9" Et20 BBS LMs

Posted Image

Here's our current front brake hat design, pretty confident it will work. Still not 100% certain on what diameter the centre bore should be and also what size to make the stud holes (we're aware the studs are M12).

The hats will be turned up on the CNC mill and lathe at work.

If anyone has been down this path before and sees any errors with our design or would like to add anything please let us know :)

Posted Image

Woah, must be awesome to have access to that sort of thing! Nice brah.