Sign in to follow this  
Hi-Tek

Nissan R32 GTR track car build

Hi guys,

Apologies this isn't a BMW.

This is a bit of a build diary thread, which we'll hopefully update as things change with the car, add bits etc.

A friend and I have a 1994 Nissan Skyline R32 GTR with 63,000 km which we purchased in February this year from Japan, we're turning into a circuit only car. (maybe one day, years down the track we'll do a Targa event or a hill climb). We're not into drifting or drag racing at all.

The car is fully complied here and road legal, although with the cage we'll have to have it homologated etc soon. We plan to keep it road legal so we can enter the Dunlop targa.

The engine is pretty much standard at the moment (270kW at the wheels)

Work so far has been to strip all the unnecessary parts out (Hi-Cas (4 wheel steering), ABS, brake booster, interior, sound deadening, heater , AC etc.

The car is empty apart from two Sparco Pro ADV seats and the dash skin and cluster.

It's just been dropped off for an 8 point crome moly cage to be installed and also a pedal box.

We've extended and baffled the sump.

Installed goodridge stainless steel brake lines and some Motul RBF600 brake fluid, also done an oil and filter change with Motul 300v 15w-50

We have a full set of Dunlop D14 compound slicks 240/625R17 on 17x9" rims

We will be purchasing some AP brakes (6 pot fronts and 4 pot rears) in the future, but currently have new stock brakes.

I'm not really a Japanese car fan, I'm more a Euro snob, but being a huge fan of the old Group A cars of the late '80s and early '90s, so the R32 GTR has a special place in my heart ^_^

Here's the car as it was when we got it, within a few hours of getting it home the interior was stripped out.

Posted Image

Typical ricer interior, more gauges than the starship enterprise

Posted Image

Under the bonnet when it first arrived

Posted Image

The ship that it came over from Japan on, sitting at the wharf with our car onboard still.

Posted Image

Dry ice being laid onto the sound deadening for quick spotless removal

Posted Image

Sump baffle plate

Posted Image

Extended sump

Posted Image

Edited by Hi-Tek

^

Previous post covered a small amount of things we've done over the past few months.

Fast forward to the past two weeks up until this afternoon.

Here's a bit of a to-do list over the next few weeks

· Install seats/harnesses

· Install 8 point cage

· Re-plumb brakes, remove ABS/brake booster

· Install pedal box

· Install floor kick plates

· Install blanking plates for parcel tray, rear seat/boot hole etc

· Relocate wiper motor (for mono wiper)

Pedal box arrived from the U.S a couple of days ago

Posted Image

As did all this kit. 5/8" , 3/4" , 7/8" and 1" master cylinders

Posted Image

Picked up a helmet box

Posted Image

A small update.

Some progress today.

In the on going saga with master cylinders we ended up buying another 3 today all compact size as the dash bar was going to cause some problems, we don't seem to have mastered the 'measure twice, cut once' theory.

Also the pedal box had to be chopped up to clear the steering, no big deal and has ended up in the same spot anyhow.

The A pillar has gusseting on both the inside and outside, the dash bars are all in. It's really just the harness bar, main hoop diagonal, lower main hoop horizontal bar and dash bar to transmission tunnel bracing that needs to go in.

Also a question about mono wiper setups, as one of our dash bars blocks off the old mounting location for the wiper motor we're wondering what the best way to tackle this is? In an ideal world we'd have the wiper blade in an up right central position of the windscreen and be able to do a full sweep to the left and right to clear the whole windscreen :blink: Am I asking too much?

A pillar gusseting (note the wiper motor hole and firewall bar that blocks the old wiper motor mount)

Posted Image

Dash bars in

Posted Image

Seat mounting spuds

Posted Image

New compact master cylinders, 5/8" , 3/4" and 7/8"

Posted Image

Door bars tacked in place (gusseting still to come)

Posted Image

Pedal box mounting frame

Posted Image

Pedal box temporary fit

Posted Image

Modified clutch pedal, should look ok once it's repainted.

Posted Image

Seat rails

Posted Image

Seat sitting roughly in place

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Hi-Tek

i'm green with envy. a white GTR 32 or 34 has always been a dream car, especially when white is the Japan's motorsport colour. :wub: Good luck with your plans.

looks like its gonna be a well prepared car. good luck with ya build =D

Thanks fellas.

White is a pretty good base colour for a race car I think.

Jack, I've seen your car over at Gavin's a couple of times, our car is just around the corner from his shop. It's coming along nicely by the looks.

Ohh yes. Very very sweet. I wish you minimal trouble and hickups.

Hey I saw this car on the boat trans future 7 when i was surveying its a minter! Keeping myself stuck to this build.

Can't wait to see this done.

You have touched all bases now, Sierra Cosworth, E30 M3, R32 GTR.

I have a feeling this will be the best yet.

Can't wait to see this done.

You have touched all bases now, Sierra Cosworth, E30 M3, R32 GTR.

I have a feeling this will be the best yet.

Cheers Chris, I really need to move on from the late '80s / early 90's but I love all the old Group A stuff.

Sweet fellas .. coming along nicely. cant wait to see the inside painted and some of the finishing trims details you have for it on the car! :)

Wow. Certainly a thread to keep an eye on.

love it.

Where did you source the dry ice from?

BOC Gasses Sell it per KG, At least they still do as far as I know.

You guys don't muck around do ya? Loving the workmanship.

love it.

Where did you source the dry ice from?

As mentioned above mate, BOC gases in Penrose, Auckland. Air Liquide do it also. I suspect there's no BOC in Hamilton that would make it (compressed carbon dioxide). I'd say they could get some in for you though.

Hey I saw this car on the boat trans future 7 when i was surveying its a minter! Keeping myself stuck to this build.

Heh, small world. We were stressing a bit watching the speed that the wharfies were driving some of the 'faster' cars off the ship when we popped down for a look.

Small update on progress so far today

Seat rails welded up, with mounting spuds

Posted Image

Went and purchased a new Sparco steering wheel 350mm with a 65mm offset (offset might be too high but can exchange)

Posted Image

A fair bit of dish

Posted Image

Lifeline weld on quick release hub arrived from Wellington

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fire extinguisher arrived from Wellington also

Posted Image

This little bit of kit should be arriving any day now.

Posted Image

Edited by Hi-Tek

With the welded quick released, you don't need a bosskit? If so how much was it and wear can I get one =D

^

Hi Jack,

That's correct on the boss kit

Is your steering wheels pcd 6x70mm? (the 6 holes in your steering wheel)

The New Zealand distributor for Lifeline is Racetech in Wellington, ours arrived the day after we phoned the order in.

The hub was $345 plus GST ($388) plus $6.30 postage from Wellington to Auckland.

If you don't want one tomorrow and are happy to wait 4-5 days then Demon Tweaks in the U.K is your best bet for the cheapest pricing. This is where we purchased our seats, harnesses and seat rails.

We would have purchased the quick release hub from then but we needed it in a hurry.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/S..._Boss/1766/1159

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/S...ccessories/1766

Racetech http://www.racetech.co.nz/racetech.shop/

Lifeline http://www.lifeline-fire.co.uk/quickrelease/steeringboss.asp

Edited by Hi-Tek

^

For us it was all about who was cheaper. But yes our dealings with Racetech were very good. The original quick release hub and fire extinguisher that were couriered to us by Racetech got dropped by some numpty courier driver and all bent up.

Racetech sent us a replacement no dramas at all.

I phoned a few places with regards to the quick release hub.

Cardwells was roughly $458 + gst

Neil Allport was $402 + gst

Racetech being the NZ distributor was $345 + gst

It seems that a lot of the major race steering wheel manufacturers use Lifeline quick release hubs and just re-sticker them

The engine is pretty much standard at the moment (270kW at the wheels)

sorry just something i have come across working with rb's and skylines and are they not stated that its 206kw and 280hp at the flywheel?as that the regulations that japan had at the time the car came out on there top end cars the same reason the z32 300zx was 280hp and 206kw and that was a 3l twin turbo

sorry just had about 7 skyline owners and z32 owners have a look at this as its a MEAN!!! build and they all had issues with the numbers your stock engine was putting out as some of there cars are 290kw at wheels and they have spent lost of money on them hahahaha (wish i turbo a s50 lol) they like the build though

^

Hi Gareth, I don't mean to be rude mate but I don't understand your post above.

Perhaps a picture will speak a thousand words?

(When I said stock in my original post I mean't pretty much stock, it has had a few modifications done to increase the power from the factory figures)

Posted Image

Edited by Hi-Tek