Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Euro plates paint coming off!

Hey guys. The plates on our Mercedes has proper plates.co.nz ones. Today i gave the car a wash and was using the cleaning brush when i noticed that the paint on the euros were coming off (see pics) I used no harsh chemicals just Meguires next Gen car wash liquid and also did not scrub excessivly. Has anyone had the same thing happen!? should i hit up plates.co.nz about this?

Really not too sure what i should do?

post-5369-1287737876.jpg

post-5369-1287737892.jpg

Edited by cliffdunedin

Complain for lulz, those things are expensive as sin....

I thought those were just stickers?

Common occurrence. Surely someone can claim under the Consumer Guarantees Act for that has to be "durable". Number plate should last the lifetime of the car.

Its like $12 - $20 to have new plates made, go into VTNZ and ask where the closest plate manufacturer is, although I've only heard of the one in Auckland??

If you paid $800 for a set of those plates you'd at least expect that paint would last for a while, call PPlates and ask them to provide replacement free of charge.

go straight to fair go and cause a scene about how your $400 plates are average quality .... and see if fair go can get Pplates to explain why they are so f**king expensive!

pplates = devil

Its like $12 - $20 to have new plates made, go into VTNZ and ask where the closest plate manufacturer is, although I've only heard of the one in Auckland??

Really? i have never heard of that, might hit them up on monday.

If you paid $800 for a set of those plates you'd at least expect that paint would last for a while, call PPlates and ask them to provide replacement free of charge.

I assumed that the paint would be as durable as the numbers are!?

I just e-mailed them now.

go straight to fair go and cause a scene about how your $400 plates are average quality .... and see if fair go can get Pplates to explain why they are so f**king expensive!

pplates = devil

Word

when i got my plates remade it cost about $30 for both including postage

That's pretty good...though still dodgy on the paint considering you pay $950 to begin with!!

wow!

how old are they?

I use the same car wash stuff so now I'm paranoid :(

Guest Ari Gold

pplates = devil

Brilliant

pplates = devil

Good idea but that would have been last resort, if pplates had f'd me around!

wow!

how old are they?

I use the same car wash stuff so now I'm paranoid :(

We bought the car 4 months ago and got the plates a few weeks later so around 3-3.5 months old

https://www2900.ssldomain.com/licensys-ebus...asp?Type=Remake

This is the link to have them remade with a credit card online.

$32.95 for Euro plates.

Had my personalised plates remade twice through this link, fast courier too.

Awesome thanks for the link dude...though like i said earlier...still not impressed how easily the paint came off <_<

Edited by cliffdunedin

I haven't bothered reading through this so is proberly mentioned already but phone them and they should supply new plates free of charge, you will have to send the old ones back naturally.

I know this cause the old man did it.

Cheers Greg no one did mention that, though I have e-mailed and asked for an explanation as to why $900 plates less than 6 months old have ended up how they are now, will post when I hear back from them!

amazing

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread in case it happens to mine

I've had mine about 4 and a half months now

Cheers Greg no one did mention that, though I have e-mailed and asked for an explanation as to why $900 plates less than 6 months old have ended up how they are now, will post when I hear back from them!

Our ones were around 6-7 months old, new ones seem to be more durable now.

So got an e-mail back from pplates yesterday with this:

Hi Clifford,

Thanks for your email.

Regarding this issue, you will need to contact the Plate Manufacturers, Licensys, on 0800 REMAKE (736 253).

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Personalised Plates

WTF!!!

I didn't want to know where to get a replacement, i wanted to know why for $850 they were sooooo sh!t.

sent this last night:

I can understand i need to contact Licensys to get a replacement but i have not had an explanation as to why a product i purchased off plates.co.nz less than 6 months ago and cost me $850 have deteriorated after washing them.

Anyone had issues with germanplates ones? might be better just to break the law with those, instead of having average quality legal ones.

They'll just tell you they didn't sell you the plates - the sold you the right to use the combination of style, numbers, and letters.

Once you paid $950 for the rights to the plate, you sent an order to Licensys to have them made, did you not?

So you paid $20 for the plates, and $925 for the right to have it made.

So pplates = devil all right.

TBH I can see their point in sending you on to Licensys as Personalised Plates don't make the plates so they don't have much control in the quality of the end product. Having said that, it would make good business sense to ensure the company you have making your product, make it to a high quality.

The $800 you pay is to own the plate itself and included in that is the ~$30 to make the plate which gets forwarded to Licensys.

So your going to have to contact the plate manufacturer.

Let us know what they have to say when you do :P

You shouldn't have to go to Licensys directly - you bought the plates thru pplates so all your inquiries should be dealt by pplates. Its like buying a tv which then dies, and the shop tells you to contact manufacturer directly because well they didn't make the tv themselves, they just sell it. Arrogant pr*cks.