Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Euro plates paint coming off!

When you buy a TV you don't buy the rights to it, you actually buy it out right therefore the store who has invested interest in it is obligated to help out.

Personalised Plates sell the rights only, and nothing else.

As true as it may be, I still fail to see why it should make a difference to a consumer - if I bought something from a shop and it fails, I want to take it back to that same place, I'm not really interested in their relationship with their suppliers and so on. I'm pretty sure when you buy a plate from pplates they get sent to you without you having to contact Licensys. So I really don't see why it should be any different if there is a defect with plates that you bought.

I can see what Gaz is saying.

PPlates don't sell you the physical plate, you've pruchased the right to the plate details, its different from going to a shop and purchasing a physical product on the spot.

PPlates should deal with it since they've chosen the vendor to make the product.

But as far as who'll replace the defective plate, the manufacturer will have to either way. They've made, in this case, one defective plate and they should replace it, and PPlates should follow up with the manufacturer that quality plates are being sent out in future.

Also, you do have to contact the Licensys to request having the plate made.

@Simke

I hate to defend pplates as I agree with your sentiment, but you do not understand how it works.

Licensys do not supply plates.co.nz, they supply the consumer directly. YOU contact them to get your plate made. Plates DO NOT do this on your behalf.

Your contract with plates ends with a letter in the mail confirming that you have the rights to the plate.

However, if I owned Plates, I would contact Licensys on the customer's behalf. It's a small price to pay to provide excellent customer service. But we all know how great plates customer service is - non-existent.

Fair enough then, but if they are charging you $800 they should at least have decency to provide some sort of customer service. But as you say its obvious their customer service is non-existent.

When you buy a TV you don't buy the rights to it, you actually buy it out right therefore the store who has invested interest in it is obligated to help out.

what if you do a "rent to own" agreement?

the finance company then owns the tv until you have fulfilled the contract

however you would still go back to the shop you picked it up from to have any issues resolved

If I was in this position with my plates I would be pointing PPlates in the direction of the consumer guarantees act - they sold you the product, they should therefore remedy any issues

I'd love to hear an opinion of a lawyer on this

No reply to that e-mail as yet

They'll just tell you they didn't sell you the plates - the sold you the right to use the combination of style, numbers, and letters.

Once you paid $950 for the rights to the plate, you sent an order to Licensys to have them made, did you not?

So you paid $20 for the plates, and $925 for the right to have it made.

So pplates = devil all right.

Nope i just, bought it off their website...i don't remember having to deal with Licensys at all.

PPlates should deal with it since they've chosen the vendor to make the product.

But as far as who'll replace the defective plate, the manufacturer will have to either way. They've made, in this case, one defective plate and they should replace it, and PPlates should follow up with the manufacturer that quality plates are being sent out in future.

That's what i think too!!

Also, you do have to contact the Licensys to request having the plate made.

we shouldn't have too, pplates sold me the euros not Licensys.

However, if I owned Plates, I would contact Licensys on the customer's behalf. It's a small price to pay to provide excellent customer service. But we all know how great plates customer service is - non-existent.

that's the way i see it. Can't see why i have to go to the manufacturer as i never once dealt with Licensys, only pplates, they were more than happy taking my money they should be more than happy fixing my situation OR getting an explanation from Licensys then getting back too me.

Edited by cliffdunedin

TBH I can see their point in sending you on to Licensys as Personalised Plates don't make the plates so they don't have much control in the quality of the end product. Having said that, it would make good business sense to ensure the company you have making your product, make it to a high quality.

The $800 you pay is to own the plate itself and included in that is the ~$30 to make the plate which gets forwarded to Licensys.

Why would they care when they have a monopoly?

More to the point Cliff, how long have you had the 430 for?

Did they make a CLK 430 AMG for NZ Seen plenty of 430's but not AMG version. I had the 55 AMG - great cars the CLK and E series of that era.

It's a wee cab and we have had it for a little over 5 months, and is the main reason i have an S50 sitting on my garage floor with nothing to put it into :rolleyes:

After having a look through the paper work it is in fact a 430 with AMG upgrades, front brake upgrade, AMG steering wheel, door sills, dash cluster, shifter, pedals, floor matts, rims and body kit which is why i assumed it was an AMG.

It does not get a hell of a lot of use as my partner walks to work, so right now it's her gym/shopping cart. Definitely a great wee car too drive but even though it has the V8 and wide wheels...does not suit me driving it.

Nice Cliff.

I'm a big fan of those cars. Build quality is spot on. Out of all the cars I've owned over the years the CLK-55 is one that I've missed the most.

Nope i just, bought it off their website...i don't remember having to deal with Licensys at all.

You sent off a "request to manufacture" didn't you? That went to Licensys.

we shouldn't have too, pplates sold me the euros not Licensys.

PPlates aren't allowed to make the plates. Legally the only people in nz who can make plates is Licensys.

Let us know how you get on Cliff.

You sent off a "request to manufacture" didn't you? That went to Licensys.

Ahhhhhh i thought that was to pplates!! Still no word from them yet, but may send an e-mail with words like 'Target' and 'Fair go' if i don't hear.

Remanufacture Transaction fee - $21.20 Standard Style, or $32.95 Picture / Message / Red / Euro / 440.

Personalised Plates take 7 – 10 working days to be mailed by standard post.

Message or Picture Plates take 15 working days to be mailed by standard post.

[url="https://www2900.ssldomain.com/licensys-ebusiness/ManufactureRequest.asp?Type=Remake"]

Remanufacture Transaction fee - $21.20 Standard Style, or $32.95 Picture / Message / Red / Euro / 440.

Personalised Plates take 7 – 10 working days to be mailed by standard post.

Message or Picture Plates take 15 working days to be mailed by standard post.

[url="https://www2900.ssldomain.com/licensys-ebusiness/ManufactureRequest.asp?Type=Remake"]

If I have standard plates (not personalised) can I use this website to remake them in the Euro format or do I have to pay plates.co.nz for right to that format?

Bastards! $400 bucks for something that costs $30 to make. These guys have a good thing going for them; but that's harsh.

Thats what a lot of people on this site are complaining about. To get them made in Germany is a hell of a lot cheaper (but illegal)

If you want euro style plates then contact Ollie and get a set of the bimmersport "euro type" plate surrounds.

Keep your regular plate, put on these surrounds and they look like euros.

Yep, a $370 markup... thats 1235% markup. Pretty sure that should be illegal eh.

Completely unjustifiable.

Emailed to ask them how they justify this price, expect to get a generic reply shortly...

Edited by cytamen

Hi David

Thankyou for your inquiry regarding the upgrade of a Personalised Plate to a Euro plate. The cost to upgrade your plate to a Silver fern euro plate [black or blue options] is $299.00 incl gst, manufacturing and delivery.

David with any sale of a Personalised Plate including upgrade sales we are required to pay a portion of the sale to NZTA which goes into the 'Road safety trust'. Also the plates are quite a lot more expensive than the $32.00 you are charged for a remake, this is due to the fact that the Government subsidises the remake cost.

I trust that the above information goes some way to answering your concerns.

-- Pretty happy with that answer, it makes the cost a lot less bitter.

-- Pretty happy with that answer, it makes the cost a lot less bitter.

hah

average answer really

the real answer should be "we saw an opportunity to completely f**k all you european car enthusiasts"

^^ I thought that might set you off Ollie. So angry for one so young??

Should have bought the Bimmersport Euro-style number plate surrounds instead eh??

Bastards! $400 bucks for something that costs $30 to make. These guys have a good thing going for them; but that's harsh.

hah

average answer really

the real answer should be "we saw an opportunity to completely f**k all you european car enthusiasts"

Haha yeah.. I'm sure the amount of money they pay to the government is minimum, and I'm sure a thin sheet of aluminium with low quality decals isn't exactly heavily subsidized by the government.

Still though, at least they weren't completely avoident of my question.

I wonder why it costs twice as much to have government issue plates converted to euro's than if you have personalised plates converted to euro...