Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Your first 3 cell phones

This is a follow-on from a Facebook wall thread Simon started.

Rules:

Rirst 3 phones YOU HAVE OWNED.

3 only - no-one wants to see the list of 30 phones you've owned. This is simply a celebration of old-tech.

Mine:

Motorola Microtac (Telecom Netowrk) Texting? What the f**k is that?

Posted Image

This phone sucked. 1-day battery (and that was the extra-large extended battery). Looked cool flipping to answer though.

I really wanted a Motorola Startac. Dad had a Motorola carry-phone in his car a couple of years before that. Cost him $1500!

Then I really wanted to upgrade to a Bell-South Ericsson T10 flip, but I was tied into a Telecom Contract.

Bell South changed to Vodafone, and texting was invented. I hated those f**king Alcatel rubbish things they had that got upgraded to the One Touch Easy. So I traded my Flip for a Vodafone motorola candy-bar like this:

Posted Image

Was sh*t for texting, but at least I could.

Then I upgraded to a Nokia 5110.

Posted Image

Now we were talking! This phone rocked. Fell out of my pocket whilst riding a motorbike on the highway one day. Came back to find it in three pieces and screen smashed. Taped it together with packing tape and managed to ring the insurance company on it!

Except for a small foray into the smartphone arena, I've been a Nokia fanboy ever since owned more models than I can count. Currently rocking an "old school" 6275i on Telecom CDMA because it's small, has bluetooth and GPS with googlemaps and lasts a week to 10 days on a battery, and cost under $100 (I lose phones all the time).

So what did you have?

Prior to very recently I have owned very few cell phones, they were always provided by work.

However the only old school one I owned was this (and as seen in the movie the Matrix)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Matrixphone.jpg

It was good, although it didn't actually have a spring loaded sliding mechanism like the phone in the movie. That was added for dramatic effect.

Alcatel changeable faceplate thingy, something like this:

Posted Image

Nokia 2280 - BEST PHONE EVER, had for about 4 years through High School.

Posted Image

Dramatic upgrade to Nokia N91 purely for the reason it was stainless steel.

Posted Image

Grant - after the movie they came out with an updated model with the spring - I remember playing with it in the shop.

Now I'm showing my age.

This was my first cell phone way back in 1989, and I've stuck with Motorola ever since but the new ones aren't as good as the old "Brick". They do a lot more things now, but they're not as robust.

post-2989-1290637256.jpg

Edited by C0SM0S

Oh how far things have come in 10 odd years. I thought I was so choice when I got that Ericsson.

post-1591-1290637252.jpg

post-1591-1290637270.jpg

post-1591-1290637279.jpg

I had a friend at school with the Ericsson you posted. First kid I knew with a phone. Now 2yo's have them. The old man even gave one to his dog as a marketing gimmick. So it's true when they say every man and his dog...

mine was one of the first with a camera

Posted Image

thought i was the sh*t with that phone, used to tell people i had a Hyundai, they werent so impressed when they found out it was my phone

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Grant - after the movie they came out with an updated model with the spring - I remember playing with it in the shop.

That makes sense, I was always trying to jerry-rig the slider so that it was spring loaded, but didn't have the skills needed.

Oh how far things have come in 10 odd years. I thought I was so choice when I got that Ericsson.

OH MY GOD. THAT WAS MY FIRST EVER PHONE. Not that Alcatel crap. I got one of the ones you posted in like 2nd for off a mate for swapping a gameboy! It has changeable face thingys toooo!!

Guest Simon*

Started out on Bellsouth with the mighty 1610 on a discounted plan they offered for the military

Posted Image

Friend got the Startac at the same time but his reception was lousy and battery life nearly nonexistent

Upgraded to a 5110!

Posted Image

Had one of these next from memory. I never bought handsets, always inherited them or got given one.

Found this one in a Sydney railway station

Posted Image

At Uni a mate had one of those Matrix phones - we all played with it. Was a distinct leap forward from the flip-phone Star Trek impersonations

Posted Image

Truth is now I loathe Nokia, and their dumb menu system. Everything I've tried (except Motorola!!!) has been an improvement.

Found this Nokia timeline - it made me lol :DPicture

In 1986 I had one of these fitted to my brand new Toyota Celica GT, cost me over $3,000 for carry pack & hands free

post-1129-1290639208.jpg

Simon - Nokia timeline. Interesting.

I had the first internal aerial nokia (the 3210), the first small form factor nokia (8000 series), first blue led nokia (8200 series again) and first bluetooth nokia (6310). Old phones = cool.

My First phone was a NEC heard of them?, didn't think so it resides at my dads home bar in his cellphone collection.

here it is below

Had the erickson further up the thread can't remember my third, what ever work gave me I paid my last cell phone bill in 1995 had a work supplied one since then.

post-4282-1290647250.jpg

First one was a Nokia P30, commonly know as the brick, in 87 or 88 from memory

post-1118-1290650884.jpg.

Currently rocking an "old school" 6275i on Telecom CDMA because it's small, has bluetooth and GPS with googlemaps and lasts a week to 10 days on a battery, and cost under $100 (I lose phones all the time).

So what did you have?

Your 6275i cost under $100? Mine was close to $700. Its still going good, but the battery is f**ked, lasts about a day.

My first 3 phones, Thinking back through all the phones I have had.... So so so many different ones, Im a sucker for new phones when they come out.

Got my first phone for Xmas when I was 11, a Phillips Saavy then a Alcatel One touch easy and then a Nokia 5110 just because I liked to be able to change the faceplates, which I did, almost every day I had a different cover on...

post-29-1290655892.jpg

post-29-1290655902.jpg

post-29-1290655914.jpg

Your 6275i cost under $100? Mine was close to $700. Its still going good, but the battery is f**ked, lasts about a day.

$99 Noel Leeming, no contract. About 18 months ago (last remaining stock type thing with CDMA on it's way out).

Phillips Savy! My mate had a blue one.

1997 - My first was similar to this cost about $3 a min, the $50 that came loaded was probably the only money spent on it...show off value mostly :rolleyes:

post-5369-1290655881.jpeg

1999 - Next was the Motorolla startac which was tiny(for the day) so tiny in fact i lost it down the side of a chair and found it a few years later.

post-5369-1290656013.jpeg

2001 -This pic is very similar to my 3rd cell phone and was one of about 3 cell phones that could text. this one, *the ones with the snake game and those ugly multi coloured Vodafone ones.

Trouble is i only knew about 4 people who had texting cellphones...so hardly got used.

post-5369-1290656137.jpg

Edited by cliffdunedin

First one i bought brand new as soon as i got off the plane in OZ. Was a stupid amount of money. Still remember my first cell number 015 774 454 lol.

Upgraded to another Motorola after a year.

Then Motorola bought out the starTAC and holy crap that was cool and i had to have one lol.

Up to this day i think i've had nearly as many cell phones as cars and i've had 214 cars lol.

Nokia 2280 (ended up wearing the keypad out)

Nokia 6275i (best phone Ever) (still have it, battery sucks, switches off randomly.. but it works with my Nokia advanced carkit in the E30.)

Nokia 6121 Classic (not overly impressed) (I left Telecom after five+ years LOL.)

Those are the main 3 I've used, constantly had others but not used for long.

Edited by antil33t

Posted Image - one touch easy

Posted Image - one touch easy DB

Posted Image - 3310

Posted Image - 6610

oops that's 4

the 3310 was the best! i went through about 700 million face plates, it was awesome!

Alcaltel 735:

Posted Image

I then used a 2280 for awhile, but it was pre-used and almost f**ked. The keypad was dodgy, and I was trying to top up, and the 1 key jammed and I couldnt top up. I raged and threw it over the side of a boat then went and bought the 6275i:

Posted Image

Now im using the 6275i, but its nearing the end of its life, so im using a HTC Diamond aswell:

Posted Image

Windows mobile is a piece of sh*t btw.

Edited by polley

I had one of those - Nokia 7110. Well, until I dropped it into a pint of Guinness right before a business trip to Japan..... Death by booze was an appropriate way to go.

The best one had to be my first 5110 though - that bloody thing was indestructible. I found a new faceplate for it on the floor of the pub one night, went to put it in the pocket with my phone and realised it was my phone. Battery in one corner of the pub, the guts somewhere else. Put it back together and it still works 11 years later!

My first was a One touch easy. Then a 3310. Now I have a 3315, have had about 5 in the last 3 years. They are awesome. Been swimming with it, and ones been run over. Would post a shitty cellphone pic but.. oh wait.