Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

School me on racecars :D

So after getting the 5er, and getting back to crising around and really enjoying it, i have really settled down my driving, much to even my own disbelief. However I know that when i get my twincam finished, ill be tempted to be a d*ck again. Soooo...

Ive been thinking about turning it into an almost dedicated track car. Strip the interior, stereo, acessories etc, sell the bits i dont need anymore, throw on some tyres and a roll cage and go racing

sounds good in theory eh.

However having noone in the family or the friend clique that is into cars, let alone racecars, i have no idea whats required in regard to requirements, legal stuff etc. I will be a one man team.

Also, how much would i be looking at putting aside a year to maintain a racecar in terms of tyres, wear items, track fees etc? (assuming i dont break sh*t, have an idea what that sort of thing costs)

Would i require WOF and Reg and a cert for open play days etc, not real racing, but familiarisng myself with the car and a racetrack.. ive never done it before

The car is pretty much setup to go for the track already, my tyres would be adequate, and power and handling even more so. the weakest links will be me and the brakes which i will invest in before i see a track in the car

I am told you need a log book to be able to have a roll cage... but wtf is a log book lol

I in no way meet the requirements for the E30 series, and im not going to start again from scratch, and im not good enough for the open class.

Thanks in advance! I want to keep it to the track and not on the street now. Contributing factor to loosing my mrs, if thats not an incentive to change i dont know what is!

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

With having it road legal its easy enough if your starting with a car thats already road legal. What ya need is indicators, lights etc all that stuff.

When ya get a roll cage put it you'll need to get it homologated and it gets a log book with that for another $100 =) And I have no idea whats the point of the log book.

So far with homologation and a log book you will have a TRACK legal car. But to get it road legal or rather to get it eligable to be road legal you need the authority card which is someone coming and checking your roll cage, harness anchors, and seats. Along with roll cage padding etc. After that you can go get it a WOF and you'll need the normal things for a WOF.

I think thats it...

Pretty easy really,

Get a cage in it, make sure it meets current regs, available here at the msnz site. http://www.motorsport.org.nz/

once you have the cage in, take the required pics, before it gets painted and get the cage homologated by MSNZ.

Apply for your logbook at the same time as you get the cage done. If you want to get it wofed you'll need an authority card, which again comes from MSNZ, this allows you to run with race harnesses and the cage on the roads.

If you are happy to trailer it around you don't need to do this, I don't have wof or reg, and it can be a pain at times when you just want to check something, but it's not too much of a pain.

I guess club and intermarques are where you'll be heading, some of the Welly boys should be able to give you an idea of costs, won't be too bad, better than paying fines.

Good luck if you decide to do this, it is the most fun you can have on your bum.

The idea of the logbook is that it is a record of all the car's racing, where, when, and with who. It also is the record of when the car is scrutineered, that is, safety checked at the track.

Edited by Silver Fox

definately cheaper than fines, no question, seeing as my next one also involves a loss of licence :S

So getting it track legal so to speak would require what? As long as i would be prepared to put my life at risk behnd the car going 200clicks is that it? or are there other requirments? it all sounds too easy to be true lol

It really is that easy, only thing I can think of I missed is the race license, which is clubsport for intermarques I think? It is also very straight forward. The race track is basically a very safe place, all the cars are going in the same direction in most cases, there are lots of runoff areas, plenty of support around, and lots of helpful people.

Do it.

Don't tempt me Dave! :P

Even if you don't have all the money to make it a full track car yet...nothing stopping you from sorting the brakes and going out to Manfield open day?

^^ Been thinking about taking my subie up to manfield for a while now. Should be good when i eventually pull finger.

The very first thing you need to do, is to join a Motorsport NZ affiliated car club (see http://www.motorsport.org.nz/clubs/ .

It's a requirement to belong to a club to get a race licence, but by joining before you start building your car it will put you in contact with a bunch of people who are normally more than willing to give advice & help.

Look through the Wellington section of the forums at some of the intermarque topics. There are quite a few regular competitors on here whod be mmore than willing to help. I posted a guide to competing about April last year after my first one.

No cage required either.

If it was me, try a few track days before you commit to stripping out sound deadening, radios, roll cages etc, it is hard to go back from there (ask me how I know). You can still have alot of fun with the interior still in and even better when you can drive it home unlike those pussies on trailers :P

You will spend most money on brake pads and tyres more than likely.

Don't bother turning up with road tyres really because they won't last long, buy a set of 15 x 7's and a set of Toyo

R888's or if you can't afford the cost of those, just search 205/50 15 semi slicks on trademe, there are a ton of used ones on there that would work just as well for next to no money, anything bigger wheel wise on a E30 ruins the suspension geometry and won't be as effective as 15's.

I (along with a few others down here) use just standard rotors along with some road/race hi performance pads, braided lines and Dot5.1 fluid works great, if any extra performance was needed maybe slotted rotors would be handy, don't get drilled ones as they are far more prone to warping.

There is probably plenty more to add, but thats all I can think of now, hope that helps.

Edited by Brams

I'd dip you toes in first see how you go.

Get yourself a car club membership (you can find a list on www.motorsport.org.nz) and clubsport licence - forms on same site.

I'd recommend The Toolshed road and track series as a starter. Manfield racetrack, no cage requirements.

Forms here but you can just rock up on the day no problems, they even had spare helmets/overalls at the last event!

http://www.motorsportmanawatu.org.nz/

dec 19th is the next (last) round for the series.

It's around $100 for the day and you will get plenty of running for your $$.

All you need to do is sort the brakes, new fluid & track spec pads in the front at least, bolt in a fire extingisher. Give the car a once over & find yourself a helmet & some cotton overalls.

Road tyres are fine just remember to warm them up & cool down the brakes after.

HAVE FUN !!

If you like it then you can get more serious.....best idea is to try to learn as much as possible whilst you are there. See who's experienced and tail them around the track to get the best lines. See if you can score a ride with someone else you will learn ALOT faster where you should be.

Edited by M5V8

thanks so much for the tips! definately sounds like a good idea just to do a few days in full street trim to see how i like it the car runs etc but its not quite as reliable as id like yet. Would definately like to do this though. wont be till next year now though.

If someone from welly is going to manfield in january ill tag along :P

Auckland University Car Club = $10 a year

NZMS Clubsport license = $60 a year

Auth Card + Log Book = can't remember but i need to renew mine (yearly fee renewed on the date of license also)

Basic clubsport events you DO NOT NEED A CAGE to compete in them, this includes some hillclimb events, bent sprints, motorkhana's, and gymkhana's. There was a guy at the Ngutunui Tarmac Hillclimb 2 years ago in a 08 M5.

You require a fire extinguisher, 100% cotton overalls, and a helmet basically. Lots of events like this around the country - the HCCC (Harbour Capital Car Club) run THE PHOTOWORKS AUTOCROSS CHALLENGE which is a great way to get into competitive motorsport cheapy.

Hillclimb and bent sprints are road driving, they close the road and you see how fast you can drive a section of NZ finest public road. You don't always need a road legal car for these events but it is recommend.

thanks so much for the tips! definately sounds like a good idea just to do a few days in full street trim to see how i like it the car runs etc but its not quite as reliable as id like yet. Would definately like to do this though. wont be till next year now though.

If someone from welly is going to manfield in january ill tag along :P

I wont be able to make the 19th due to other commitments, but no doubt will be heading up for some events late Jan / Feb if I don't do Port road.

Always happy to help get another competitor on the track Andy, my car # is 898 so come introduce yourself if you see me around.

Also, how much would i be looking at putting aside a year to maintain a racecar in terms of tyres, wear items, track fees etc?

You can spend as little, or as much, as you want depending on how far you want to dip your toe into the water. Lots of good guys in Welly / Palmy / Lower NI to help you out, and lots of good events at Manfield and local that you can enter in a road car with some basic paperwork (as mentioned above).

BUT be careful, it is very addictive, and always leaves you wanting more and to go faster.... and then it's a case of how much time and money you want to throw at it. Driving a car on the track is a very different experience, even from driving fast on the roads.

There are a number of steps and stages you can work up through as your budget allows and as you feel confident enough to go for it. You are right about getting your car to E30 Series regs, but no reason why you couldn't run in the Open Class in the future once you get bitten by the bug.

You have no idea how useful this thread has been.

The very first thing you need to do, is to join a Motorsport NZ affiliated car club (see http://www.motorsport.org.nz/clubs/ .

It's a requirement to belong to a club to get a race licence, but by joining before you start building your car it will put you in contact with a bunch of people who are normally more than willing to give advice & help.

Any recommendations on a club in wellington region? i ideally would like to join a club that has older and/or european cars, not ricer stuff. Have had brief look through the site

There are a number of steps and stages you can work up through as your budget allows and as you feel confident enough to go for it. You are right about getting your car to E30 Series regs, but no reason why you couldn't run in the Open Class in the future once you get bitten by the bug.

I really dont have the financial backing, nor ability to take a lot of time off work to compete in the open class. but then again its not realistic to assume i could be competitive and not a rolling roadblock when ive never driven on a track before. Future could hold anything though!

Any recommendations on a club in wellington region?

BMW Car Club of NZ? Is a pretty good club and very active in the Wellington region - also allows you to compete as part of the club in the Intermarque Sprints so we can win the trophy again!

I really dont have the financial backing, nor ability to take a lot of time off work to compete in the open class. Future could hold anything though!

Most of the guys in both series are self-funding, only the top few benefit from sponsorship or backing of any sort. The travelling time does eat into your Annual Leave - but what else is holiday for?? It is certainly something for the future, I didn't mean to suggest you jump straight into the Open class, maybe something to aspire to and work towards?

I'd also suggest the BMW Car Club, mostly cause it's what you drive, lots of people with similar views and a prerequisite for entering the BMW race series at some time in the future, also good for the intermarques.

Now i know what to tell the perants to get me for christmas.. they have been nagging lol

Totally agree with everything said above.

Also, before buying anything... ring a cert guy or a tech advisor from MSNZ if you can't find it in the manual. Have atleast a grand of useless sh*t here which I can't use becuase it isn't made of the right material/ doesn't have a sticker on it etc.

Most the stuff is pretty straight forward though, basically try to do every thing right the first time. If I was to do mine again I would have been able to do it for probably half the price of what it has already cost me... and it still needs a new motor,gear box and diff.

Any recommendations on a club in wellington region? i ideally would like to join a club that has older and/or european cars, not ricer stuff. Have had brief look through the site

Any club will do I personnally have experience with HCCC and hutt valley, they all have a mish - mash of car's and types. The club affiliation is really just to give you the ability to get your clubsport (racers) licence and contacts in your area. You can get into the club activities as much or as little as you like.

Ive been through the same delimar as you ... Too many speeding fines and almost lost my licience several times prompted me to direct my hoon to somewhere a bit more pratical.

I built my e30 with racecar in mind, all accept a roll car and full race interior for the ability to be able to drive it to work if I felt the need. Everything else however is setup for full track day use.

The great thing is its made me treat the road with a lot more respect and I can still have a lot more fun out on the track where it really counts.

as for some ideas and knowledge, obviously talk to some of the guys on here and maybe jump into bimmerforums track car build section, which is quite good for ideas and help on topics to do with BMW builds and racing albeit focused on US cars.

Come along to any of the Bimmersport Welly meets and talk - there are plenty of us with race cars and race experience. Join the BMW Car Club - get the joining fee as an Xmaxs pressie as suggested above. The start coming to the Intermarque meetings at Manfeild, just to hang out or wave a flag initially, and get one of the guys with a roll cage to take you for a ride. You will be hooked. There are plenty of other events in Welly region also.