Sign in to follow this  
$toffz

The ones you used to like.

I adore the Ferrari 288 GTO

Posted Image

Used to like Subie B4s, was considering getting one instead of my 5 and now I can't stand the look of them. I don't have many years to look back on though.

That 288 isnt a guilty pleasure- more like a public orgasm one. I'd do anything for that car.

'Freind of ours has a 250gto and f40 etc etc a pretty big classic/ vintage racing collection and he doesnt consider himself rich- he seriously doesnt. He didnt even start with anything, just one day decided to jump the fence at Goodwood (i think) and ask if he could help the official timer.

I'm not offended - I'm always surprised at how capable (good word) an E36 M3 is. I agree - they're not particularly fun compared to a well sorted E30*. I might try a shorter diff - it might wake it up a little below warp 9.

The real test, I'll be surprised if they ever see a revival and start becoming more desirable. It could happen, but I doubt it.

* they are still better to drive than most BMWs.

As I have said on this site more than a few times, I fell in love with BMW when my best friend's dad had 4 E24's in the 80's - 2 633csi's and 2 635csi's. From that day I was hooked - having a love for the big GT's made by Bavaria's finest.

However, I have briefly lusted after a few cars that i am now embarrased about.

The 1992 Mazda Mx6

Saab Turbo (with Aero body-kit)- which I owned.

Subaru SVX (nearly owned one)

Mitsubishi GTO (loved them before the boats from Japan arrived with 100's of them).

It's been interesting reading the comments on this topic. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally love the sight of the older, modern classics made by BMW. For me, looks are everything. I love the shape of the E9, E24, E31's (and of course a few more, but these are my favourites). For more than a few here, these cars probably do nothing for you. That's cool - everybody has their own loves, and that's great!

As I have said on this site more than a few times, I fell in love with BMW when my best friend's dad had 4 E24's in the 80's - 2 633csi's and 2 635csi's. From that day I was hooked - having a love for the big GT's made by Bavaria's finest.

However, I have briefly lusted after a few cars that i am now embarrased about.

The 1992 Mazda Mx6

Saab Turbo (with Aero body-kit)- which I owned.

Subaru SVX (nearly owned one)

Mitsubishi GTO (loved them before the boats from Japan arrived with 100's of them).

It's been interesting reading the comments on this topic. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally love the sight of the older, modern classics made by BMW. For me, looks are everything. I love the shape of the E9, E24, E31's (and of course a few more, but these are my favourites). For more than a few here, these cars probably do nothing for you. That's cool - everybody has their own loves, and that's great!

Mazda MX6 is a perfect example for this thread! what an unwanted car now, but at the time they were flash!

Agree with the bmw's you list- I adore them too. But while amazing and very good looking cars, they are not beautiful like a 308 gtb or a 250gt berlinetta lusso... A different kind of beauty.

is it just me or do i adore the older bmws more than the new...

Wow.. 288GTO didn't realize that they were so damn expensive!

I've only had one opportunity to drive an E36 M3. It was NZ New, 180,000kms (IIRC), full service history.

It wasn't anything memorable. It was a bit rough, seemed to be almost struggling. Also has anyone else found that the clutch is too close to the little sticky-out bit of the far left foot well?

Yes the dead pedal is too close to the clutch, but you get used to it after a week and it becomes a non-issue.

Like I said - they're not that peppy down low and the extremely long accelerator pedal takes a little mental effort to overcome. 3rd gear from legal to illegal speeds is an eye-opener.

Probably the main reason I don't like the 80's BMW models is in the late 80's, early 90's we were awash with them.

I was, until I retired, a car dealer, and after the 87 recession all the Yuppies who owned Beemers were doing their best to get out of them. There was hardly a day go by when someone would arrive at the yard trying to sell their car.

We were buying them for relative peanuts, selling them cheaply yet making good money out of them. They became as common as Cortinas as well as looking like them.

The E36 when it came out, was like a breath of fresh air.

Another oldie from South Africa that was all the rage when i was just into high school, you were very bad ass if you had one of these man, really the only hot hatches we had in Saff.

First the Opel Kadett Super Boss

post-264-1297033873.jpg

Then this puppy, 6 speed turbo FWD, torque steer that could break your wrists.

Opel Kadett 200TS

post-264-1297033955.jpg

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/car-talk/13...-road-test.html

Oooh - another one I forgot about. The Opel Calibra - that smooth, sexy 90s coupe styling ... ewwww

I used to have a thing for altezzas and filthy old school vr4 galants dubbed evo 0's with a massive front mount and dumped on chromes.

Oh I have another one....in the mid 90's when I lived in Oz I had a mate who proudly forked out $45K Australian for a Mitsubishi FTO. For a day or so, I thought it was cool. Admittedly, it handled pretty well, but after the second time I saw it, I felt the looks were a bit questionable - especially without a rear spoiler. After arriving back in NZ 6 years later, I saw that we were drowning with them here- and I started to despise them.

Imagine my shock when I discovered that my girlfriend and- wife- to- be owned one! I was not impressed!

The funniest thing is that the front of them looks like a wanna-be Maserati coupe!

Hold on, hold on the FTO was out well before the Maserati so how do you figure that? I have constantly laughed at modern Maserati because they look like overgrown FTO’s… oh and because they are the most pointless cars you can buy. Was Japanese car of the year 94 from memory.

My wife had a FTO when we got together, back when they were expensive but still gay, have to admit as sh*t as I always thought it was I always had to respect that it was very fast, hers was the GPX and would easily out pace most BMW’s on a back road.

I have a soft spot for hondas. lol

I quite believe that as there's nothing about them to get hard over.

Edited by C0SM0S

Worth a drive.. if you like driving.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oooo ... that's harsh ... I dare you to post this over at NZHondas :lol:

I think that Honda make some terrific cars, that are both great fun to drive and very performance orientated.

Look no further than the two cars that Apex posted, not to mention any proper Type R variant etc.

Edited by Grant

I think that Honda make some terrific cars, that are both great fun to drive and very performance orientated.

Look no further than the two cars that Apex posted, not to mention any proper Type R variant etc.

#2 son had a genuine Type R - we purchased it in Invercargill and I drove it back to Chch - it's acceleration and general performance was nothing short of obscene - s**t it was fast!! Get it onto the 2nd cam (about 6k revs) and it was gone!

Im sure the two fastest road cars at Bimmersport trackday were FWD and one was a Honda..

Totally agree with above, My girfriend owns 2002 EP3 Civic Type R & it would quite easily out perform my 2.7 E30.

I know the age difference is about 12 years but Wow! it sure does have some power being an N/A especially when VTEC kicks in yo.

The Civic loses in 'Baller' points though, as my E30 looks better. Ha

Edited by APT

Those sleeping over the looks of the 4 door e36 M3 were soon awoken by this:

Lotus Carlton

Loved it - what a machine!