Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Vr4 Legnum problem, anyone got any ideas.

Mechanically Inept mate has a ~1996 Legnum VR4, Automagic. Its got 200k clicks on the clock and sounds like a chinese sweat shop full of sewing machines at idle. It hasnt had an oil change in 3 years (to give you an idea of its mechanical state...)

It recently begun dying randomly, ie cruising down the motorway the engine will just stop, and wont restart for a few minutes. It does it seemingly at random, doesnt seem to matter if its accelerating etc etc.

Its been to a few shops, Scan shows up nothing, another place has done a bunch of fuel system maintenance on it, charged $500 and it still does it. Its currently back at this shop, but I seriously think these clowns have no clue.

I dont have much experience with these POS, but my theory is its either the ECU having a drysolder joint /bad contact somewhere, or the battery/alternator is shagged, havent tried to diagnose it myself though, just guesses.

Anyone have any experience with these things, or any suggestion on what else too look at?

No experience with legnums, but as for dying randomly... on my subaru it was the fuel pump on it's way out, and on my E30 it was the fuel pump relay dying.. maybe they are on the right track with the fuel system?

I think your theory may be on the right track...when i saw the title of your post i was thinking "Tiptronic box" but it def sounds like either an ECU - though am assuming a scan would've picked up an issue or the alternator/battery - though am quite sure it wouldn't restart again after a few mins, only other thing i could think of would be the fuel supply or pump.

i know earlier model galants etc had probs with leaking caps in their ecu or something, the sewing machine sound will be the lifters especially if its been neglected..mitsi's tick more than E30's haha try mmc or msport forums?

EDIT: my E36 320i also randomly died when i had it..same as everyone else it was fuel pump

Edited by HT.

I dunno what the problem is, but if he ever gets it running well again try a product called "Proma MBL8" at the next oil change to stop the lifters noise. Its like magic.

(edit for clarity - stops noisy lifters in Mitsubishis!)

Edited by CamB

OT: Are you serious Cam? I was told that stuff is great so I tracked some down and tried it out on my M20 and old Toyota 2E. Made no difference whatsoever to both cars. $70 down the drain.

I could care less about a crappy old shitsubishi.

OT: Are you serious Cam? I was told that stuff is great so I tracked some down and tried it out on my M20 and old Toyota 2E. Made no difference whatsoever to both cars. $70 down the drain.

Both of those vehicles don't have hydraulic lifters.

I dunno what the problem is, but if he ever gets it running well again try a product called "Proma MBL8" at the next oil change to stop the lifters noise. Its like magic.

I used it in my old VR4 and it purred like a kitten. Regular oil changes also help :D

If it's a computer, Mitsi will say circa $3k and can't be fixed.

I have a friend who fixes them for less than $1k from memory. If that's what it is.

I could care less about a crappy old shitsubishi.

Prob. because neither have hydraulic lifters......

The Rockers/Tappets would have needed adjusting!!

I used that same stuff Cam mentioned when we had our EVO, worked awesome, also, always ran it on Pennzoil semi-synthetic and it stayed quiet.

As for the topic at hand NFI, but sounds ECU related.

If the fuel pump controlled by the ECU?

If it is an ECU problem, then the guy to see here in Auckland is Shane 027 4722287

Shane is based in Takanini and is a whizz kid when it comes to automobile electronics.

Both of those vehicles don't have hydraulic lifters.

:lol:

Blast it all <_<

Last time I take advice from a guy working at Repco <_<

Have you not realised that Repco means Rip Every Poor C**T Off.

Blast it all <_<

It's true - it performs some voodoo magic on hydraulic lifters that are sticky. I've only tried it in my bro-in-laws old VR4 and it was like magic.

It's true - it performs some voodoo magic on hydraulic lifters that are sticky. I've only tried it in my bro-in-laws old VR4 and it was like magic.

+1. Used it in my Subaru and was well impressed.

As for the OP, I would try fuel pump/ECU.

im not a pro, but does it splutter out or just die? if it splutters out and sounds like it wants to carry on but cant its more likely to be fuel. if it just cuts out dead then it will be more likely to do with the electrics side

Cheers for the replies, after a bit of a sh*t fight with the original mechanics he has the car back, still not running right but got a few ideas into what to have a play with.

Gonna get some of that Proma MBL8 just to stop the laughs in the carpark too :D

Anyone recommend a good mitzy wrecker that wont mind us playing "swap the part" troubleshooting? (Auckland preferably)

Go and have a chat with Paul at Ohlsen Developments in George Terrace in Onehunga. he is a Mitsibishi guru!

Go and have a chat with Paul at Ohlsen Developments in George Terrace in Onehunga. he is a Mitsibishi guru!

Indeed he is - he told me about the Proma.

Mechanically Inept mate has a ~1996 Legnum VR4, Automagic.

Theres ya problem right there! :lol:

Theres ya problem right there! :lol:

Exactly :D:o