Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Speed tolerance lowered for easter!

Most kiwi's drive at 5 under anyway so should not be a problem.

Right, at least I will know why all the other drivers are doing 80km on the open road.

A little patience never hurt anyone, haven't got much travelling to do these holidays anyway

Most kiwi's drive at 5 under anyway so should not be a problem.

Most i know drive under 10, we could be the minority though!

Would love to see some statistics (sp?) showing IF this move makes any difference.

I mean real stat's from an independant boby, not some talking head from the government.

I have a feeling it will become permanant soon.

Oh and i don't condone speeding......................................................actually what is speeding? it's pretty relative really. On my pit bike 60kph is speeding, on my old 250 Honda 100kph is speeding (feels like i'm going to take off and fly LOL) but in my ute 160kph feels slow.

Edited by bellicose

I seem to remember the first weekend they tried this, they had a great result fatality wise.

Second weekend they had a shocker.

Gut feeling is that it makes no f**king difference at all.

An easy 'tax' to avoid though.

Would be surprised if anyone can go the legal speed limit on the main highways other than overtaking in the north island, you will get to 100kp after passing that 1992 Nissan Primera with a tail light out and no WOF/REG full of trash doing 80 go to set the cruise control and then have to slow down to 70 for some Germans in a Britz.

Passing is the problem and that’s where they get the revenue.

Would love to see them have a tolerance each way, 5 over or 5 under, anything outside gets a fine.

f**k I just set my Tom Tom to back road and go hell for leather, cops don't hang out on the back roads as there is not enough volume of traffic to reach quota and bump up statistics... You could thoreticlly drive from Huntley to Taupo at 130+ KPH and not see one cop... you would see 20+ on SH1 :lol:

Edited by Apex

i seem to fly past alot of people doing an actual speed of 100 (GPS calculated) with the 107-110 indicated on the speedo with margin of error.

My point being that most people who are sitting on 100 with their speedo are only actually doing 90-95.

But in the end over a 200k trip what diff does 5km/h really make? will take you an extra 6mins? to get there.

As Graham said the real issue is overtaking, yes you maybe able to overtake at the limit sucsessfully but what about the poor other 30 cars behind you that get stuck when you use the entire length of passing lane for yourself.

As Graham said the real issue is overtaking, yes you maybe able to overtake at the limit sucsessfully but what about the poor other 30 cars behind you that get stuck when you use the entire length of passing lane for yourself.

Well said!

I'd better set the cruise control in the 330d this week-end then or it could turn into an expensive trip away. :rolleyes:

Oh and I will have the hand-brake in the car with me as well, so that will help. :unsure:

Chances are I will have to turn it off before I get to Taihape due to all the wombles that come out for the long week-ends. <_<

It just makes things worse I reckon. Last time they did this everyone was too scared and drove at 80kph.

Passing is the issue, like others have said. But I suppose at the end of the day the speed limit is the speed limit, I get the feeling if the speed limit was 105 everyone would do 110 and have the same complaints. The speed limit is 100k, so do 100k. Every speeding ticket I've had I've deserved.

The speed limit is 100k, so do 100k.

Couldn’t agree more, now how can we make people do 100kph when most insist on doing 85-90?

Couldn’t agree more, now how can we make people do 100kph when most insist on doing 85-90?

Yep that is annoying. But having a law for a minimum speed limit is not the answer because there are times where there are vehicles on the road which cannot safely do 100kmph.

100kph is the LIMIT, it does not mean people HAVE to do it. sometimes i'm quite happy driving along at 90kph on the open road and if someone has a problem with it then it's exactly that, their problem.

100kph is the LIMIT, it does not mean people HAVE to do it. sometimes i'm quite happy driving along at 90kph on the open road and if someone has a problem with it then it's exactly that, their problem.

You could just not be a d*ck though and make it as easy as possible for them to get past.

EDIT: Like a must add a lot of drivers in slower vehicles do, some dont though.

Edited by mark247

People who drive like 80-90 on the open road then speed up when they get to a passing lane...infuriating.

Well if you wanna dwadle along the road just make sure to get the f**k out of everyones way.

I agree, people don't have to do 100kph, why bother when you can just sit back, disengage the brain and just coast along oblivious to whats going on around you, and when a blue car passes you on a long streight you can flash your lights at him because he woke you up and you had to pay attention to the road for 3 seconds.

Funny the 100kph is a guideline and as long as i'm under it I am driving safe type people mostly see a STOP sign as a give way and view indicating is optional also.

I swear the vast majority drive as if they have just had a massive joint, laid back paranoid, indecisive and slow to react, and when something happens they are like wooooohhhhhhh maaaaaannnnnnnn.

I would love to know the actual stats for the weekend though, how bad are they compared to any other weekend and how many of them involve alcohol and happen at night??

Edited by Apex

Is it actually illegal to flash your lights at oncoming cars, warning them of speed cameras ahead?

So, lets see how many cops we can name and shame on this site - lets see how many snakes you can get photos of? Quite like to know the license plates of all the undercover cars in auckland - and believe me, they will be out in force this weekend to meet their quotas.

Yesh, yeah, lets name and shame traffic officers who are going about their jobs under instruction from their superiors.

What a top idea!

Here is a picture of my plumber going about his bi'ness.

post-1246-1303354847.jpg

I agree, people don't have to do 100kph, why bother when you can just sit back, disengage the brain and just coast along oblivious to whats going on around you, and when a blue car passes you on a long streight you can flash your lights at him because he woke you up and you had to pay attention to the road for 3 seconds.

Towing the race car home a couple of months back with our PoS work truck, I had some tool pull out right in front of me on a flat, straight 100kmh road in broad daylight and then proceed to accelerate to the dizzy speed of 70km/h, causing me to slam on the brakes firstly and then ride the brakes to avoid hitting him up the arse.

Two cars back behind me was a highway patrol car, who after a minute or two of this nonsense put his lights on and went past me and pulled over the tool in front, who took about 30secs to realise a) there was a police car behind him and B) it was HIM they wanted to pull over.

I LMFAO as I drove past and waved nicely...