Sign in to follow this  
Shady

Can you name these tools?

post-4588-1307596780.jpg

As per the photo.

There are spanners. Screwdriver. Allenkey. Sparkplug remover. And I forget the name of that tool that looks like pliers.

But as for the others, what are they called and what are they for (how do you use them?)

Only asking cos been told the far bottom left is for electric windows, but dont see how you'd use it? And the other 2 random bar things?

I also need that thinnist one (inside the plug tool) if anyone has one? I want to complete my tool kit.

polygrips, spanners, double ended screw driver, spark plug tool and handle for said tool, allen key.

Unsure of plastic bit.

Far right is a stud hanger, used to help put wheels on, chuck it in the top hole of your hub, slot the wheel on to it, let it hang there while you put in 2 studs, pull it out through the wheel...

Saves you swinging the wheel round and round trying to line up the studs.

/\ I wondered what that was for...

On your keyring... it was a little physical key, wannit?

On your keyring... it was a little physical key, wannit?

Indeed, it was for mine!

Far right is a stud hanger, used to help put wheels on, chuck it in the top hole of your hub, slot the wheel on to it, let it hang there while you put in 2 studs, pull it out through the wheel...

Saves you swinging the wheel round and round trying to line up the studs.

Hmm! Im going to try that next time! good idea.

/\ I wondered what that was for...

Ditto! Oh the enlightenment.

The allen key is for if your electric windows fail, you pop the round circle cover off the door card and the allen key will fit into the head and you can manually wind the window up or down

Woah, 2 new things in one day!

Don't over do it, mate.

I knew that allen key thing, I figured that out when I needed to remove windows from the wreck I had. But what about the rod thing in the sparkplug remover -assuming it slides thru the holes and you use it to twist the plug remover? And that small plastic thing, Im guessing I was wrong about using it for windows (but no idea how) - what else could it be for?

And yes, definitely gona use that rod for the wheels now... :)

Edited by Shady

The pliers are sometimes known as slip-jaw pliers, or waterpump pliers. the plastic thingy to the left/bottom is to remove the plastic dummy nut that slips onto the lock stud for the wheels. The bar inside the spark plug tool is a tommy bar - slips in the holes at the top as a handle to turn the spark plug socket.

Edited by bikerchris

Not that I want to thread hijack, but... I'm wondering what I'm missing from these two toolkits please?

Posted Image

This one is obvious - the tow eye (I have one, but it's too long :( ), and something else on the right side;

Posted Image

What about this one though? No space for the eye or 10mm socket at all... but something in the middle, under the spanners etc?

Thing is, I'm sure there are other tools that can be found with the E34, I just have no idea what they are! Anyone have any info? Oh, and how much do tow eyes go for at the wreckers? Need to complete the kit I have...

Edited by Sick Puppy

As i found out, the allen key can also be used for opening/closing the sunroof in the event of failure. In the E36 you pop the panel off behind the map lights, and you can stick the key into the sunroof gearbox.

In terms of the E34 kit, the only reference i can find to anything being in that empty spot on the top one is this image. i still dont know what is there :P

Posted Image

Edited by KwS

Not that I want to thread hijack, but... I'm wondering what I'm missing from these two toolkits please?

Posted Image

This one is obvious - the tow eye (I have one, but it's too long :( ), and something else on the right side;

Posted Image

What about this one though? No space for the eye or 10mm socket at all... but something in the middle, under the spanners etc?

Thing is, I'm sure there are other tools that can be found with the E34, I just have no idea what they are! Anyone have any info? Oh, and how much do tow eyes go for at the wreckers? Need to complete the kit I have...

e34's dont need to screw in tow hook as they have tow loops behind the tow hook covers.

the thing on the right should be for the 2 lock nut keys