Sign in to follow this  
Garett

GDM - E36 Drift/Race Project

thats a s300/200 if im not wrong what happened to the to4z?

you not going to use the cast manifolds and turn them upside down and two separate pipes to each scroll?

im doing 6-2-1 also since i stood the motor up i have a ton more room to work with plus the pipe off the turbo is 4" and thatll still pass the steering and motor.

crunchy what do you think about 2 38mm waste gates as they are cheap and available. that way in also can completely separate the flow in the twin scroll.

yep works good dude try to get them to come off at a 45 deg angle in relation to flow but you can only do what room allows

thats a s300/200 if im not wrong what happened to the to4z?

you not going to use the cast manifolds and turn them upside down and two separate pipes to each scroll?

Haha na this is a pic i found on Bimmerforums nope im using the m52 stainless ones to the first v band then the rest will be mild :)

im doing 6-2-1 also since i stood the motor up i have a ton more room to work with plus the pipe off the turbo is 4" and thatll still pass the steering and motor.

yeah mines 4" stainless atm, i will need to get a bit of 4" pipe and run it through under the headers and around the steering column to make sure there is enough room, i might make a custom engine mount for that side too to give me a bit more room.

Edited by Garett

Haha na this is a pic i found on Bimmerforums nope im using the m52 stainless ones to the first v band then the rest will be mild :)

the 4'' off mine will tapper down to 3" over about 300mm there's not enough room under the car to run that size plus you can pull over 1000hp on a 3" system

yeah mines 4" stainless atm, i will need to get a bit of 4" pipe and run it through under the headers and around the steering column to make sure there is enough room, i might make a custom engine mount for that side too to give me a bit more room.

I like it how the weight of the turbo is taken from the block, which is less stress on the manifold right

I like it how the weight of the turbo is taken from the block, which is less stress on the manifold right

yes correct just make sure you oversize the manifold bolt holes to the head to allow movement or it ll keep braking studs

yes correct just make sure you oversize the manifold bolt holes to the head to allow movement or it ll keep braking studs

thanks will do.

Cheers James for stopping by in the weekend to have a look at the progress pitty you didnt have any beers on ya lol :P

Seems there are a lot of BMW turbo builds going on at the moment..

Next time. Cheers for showing me around

It is a very impressive project

Do you think these 38mm tial gates are real? www.Sella.co.nz

Do you think these 38mm tial gates are real? www.Sella.co.nz

they appear to be the real thing they normally go for 350 or so

they appear to be the real thing they normally go for 350 or so

yeah that's what makes me wonder :rolleyes:

yeah that's what makes me wonder :rolleyes:

could be a bargain too

could be a bargain too

i'll go have a look in person, after i do some research :) and see how many hes got

i'll go have a look in person, after i do some research :) and see how many hes got

and when its all in and running as the saying goes "life begins at 20psi"

and when its all in and running as the saying goes "life begins at 20psi"

hell yeah... Never owned a turbo car till now lol

oh and i found a m54b30 complete block kicking around work, i think ill be using that later haha

EDIT: turns out its a m54b25 block :(

However i can get hold of M50 intake cams, read somewhere you can put the intake on the exhaust side to give better lift. has anyone done this?? worth doing?

I purchased 2 50mm v bands $41.50each and a twin scroll t4 flange 28$ today so i can now make the bracket to hold the turbo off the block and start chopping up exhausts to get the bends :D

Edited by Garett

I emailed the guy on the tial website about the wastegates, he told me they were fake...

I have done the dual intake cam swap, it needs a small amount of machining done to it to keep the cam chain in correct alignment.

Cant tell if its worth it really, changed a bunch of other stuff at the same time !

I thought about making a manifold like this one... might help you with your design unless you are going hard out with the manifold.

I purchased 2 50mm v bands $41.50each and a twin scroll t4 flange 28$ today so i can now make the bracket to hold the turbo off the block and start chopping up exhausts to get the bends :D

post-1183-1336683728.jpg

I thought about making a manifold like this one... might help you with your design unless you are going hard out with the manifold.

it works along the same lines as the j pipes but you end up with a very long pipe off one group of cylinders which increase boost threshold

it works along the same lines as the j pipes but you end up with a very long pipe off one group of cylinders which increase boost threshold

I was thinking of something like this...

50mm clamps in blue

38mm in red

3" in yellow

Its a bit not to scale but you get the drift lol

post-2228-1336719632.jpg

post-2228-1336721344.jpg

Edited by Garett

yep pretty much don't get to hung up on equal length plus or minus an inch or so is fine, as the head turbo man for Audi said " boost overcomes all"

I have done the dual intake cam swap, it needs a small amount of machining done to it to keep the cam chain in correct alignment.

Cant tell if its worth it really, changed a bunch of other stuff at the same time !

im having custom cams done for the m50 if your ever in the need just sourcing the lash caps and they will be exchange ans at a price that you cant refuse

im having custom cams done for the m50 if your ever in the need just sourcing the lash caps and they will be exchange ans at a price that you cant refuse

sounds good Im sure ill need some of those down the track a bit.. :D