Sign in to follow this  
Garett

GDM - E36 Drift/Race Project

Yess 200th post :P

Wheels are on the car :D getting adapter plates to convert to 5 series offset on tuesday..

i can now install the camber arms and purchase my adjustys, does anyone know the perfect camber caster height spring rate shock rate so i set them up??? help!! i think -3 on the front and thinking 0 on the rear for the camber??

post-2228-1327810723.jpg

post-2228-1327810744.jpg

post-2228-1327810754.jpg

post-2228-1327810763.jpg

another question i found some swaybars they are from a e36 m3 does anyone know if they will fit e30?? because if they don't i get em for my car :D

post-2228-1327810972.jpg

post-2228-1327810980.jpg

I have dreams of a v12 with a turbo so big you can put your head in it.... one day, if i can ever get manual gearbox behind it.. :rolleyes:

Edit: Found the turbo haha... will it do? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=442136022

Edit: Found the car :D.. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=443796867

Edited by Garett

Looking good dude How's that e30 comeing along.

Looking good dude How's that e30 comeing along.

its at the same stage as mine at the moment maybe a lil bit behind... hes running the link g4 extreme but has yet to wire it up, also running the 5 stud conversion and e46 330i engine, ill do a big wright up on it once its all done.. :D

So you reckon the swaybars will fit e30?? you of all people should know right kerry :P

Edited by Garett

Yes Finally got my suspension sorted.. BC Golds won the war on price coming in at 1288inc to my door.. cant complain with that...:D should arrive and be fitted tomorrow night. happy days.

try speed factor they sell a brand called yellow and they are actually really good, we run them in the e46 and never had a issue.

cheers i didnt even know they existed they came in at 1350inc plus freight.

its at the same stage as mine at the moment maybe a lil bit behind... hes running the link g4 extreme but has yet to wire it up, also running the 5 stud conversion and e46 330i engine, ill do a big wright up on it once its all done.. :D

So you reckon the swaybars will fit e30?? you of all people should know right kerry :P

from memory man i dont think you can make them fit but im a bit fogy on it at the moment..

Right i got my Rear camber arms in along with the bc golds, all installed and ready for alignment.. just got to learn how now haha. the rear spring came 160mm in height, it made the rear to high so im sending the 160's back for some 110mm springs.

post-2228-1328424171.jpg

post-2228-1328424184.jpg

i'll need a fuel cell to go in the boot soon as i want to run the exhausts out both sides in front of the rear wheels, was thinking about a drop tank in replace of the spare wheel well. any ideas would be appreciated :D

Dumb question but what do you intend to use it for class wise?

Cause you cant run open BMW with forced induction of any kind at least not with a twin cam unless its alpina based and e36 never were

Dumb question but what do you intend to use it for class wise?

Cause you cant run open BMW with forced induction of any kind at least not with a twin cam unless its alpina based and e36 never were

not a dump question at all.. i was just going to build it for a bit of fun every now and then, most the fun is building it... but if i was to enter a class it could only be the GT1 series right? and drift events.

not a dump question at all.. i was just going to build it for a bit of fun every now and then, most the fun is building it... but if i was to enter a class it could only be the GT1 series right? and drift events.

We need to introduce BMW into serious drift events. I am not sure why no one has done it yet? That would be your chance to show what BMW is all about :) Can't wait to see your end result. Looking very promising :)

Everyone wants to be a drifter and there's only one madmike that's managed to make a name and money from it and the boy racer stigma that goes with it would be a good reason why BMW owners stay clear, i have a few wana be drifters as customers and um yep lets just leave it at that cause there very speacial.....in their own minds.

Drifters give real car enthusiast a bad name

Edited by crunchy

Everyone wants to be a drifter and there's only one madmike that's managed to make a name and money from it and the boy racer stigma that goes with it would be a good reason why BMW owners stay clear, i have a few wana be drifters as customers and um yep lets just leave it at that cause there very speacial.....in their own minds.

Drifters give real car enthusiast a bad name

Not in Europe they don't!!! It is silly to say that no one wants to drift BMW because they want to stay clean. I am sure there are a lot of drift wannabes, but I am sure there is a lot of unexplored talent here in New Zealand. Obviously one of the reasons is trend (e.g. what is cool to drift... Silvias, Cefiros, Skylines, RX7's etc), other reason is probably money as it is much cheaper to fix Japs than BMWs as we all already know. Somebody have built a custom E92 M3 in Japan :rolleyes: and it destroyed every car on the drift track, so why don't somebody do it here :)

^^^ There's a challenge for you Steve :D

hahaha no challenge there Glenn i use to sponcer a few of the top drift guys and got nothing in return for it despite them winning here and in the states as for the clean image?

I think hes missing the point somewhat and needs to watch the news a tad more to get the idea of the stigma thing for drifting, i don't need to paint my own wagon to prove my worth been there done that countless times.

Cant justify smoking $400 tires in two runs not that moneys an issue just fail to see the point for whats gained so you can go sideways smoking the bags, im a westie that's just an average day out here but try and run Hamptons under a 1.10 now that would get my attention and be a lot more interesting.

Where the bad image comes from is not far from me one the so called top drifters lives and also practices on the road !!! but his words were " but im a top drifter" my reply was "you of all people should know that's what the tracks for".........anyone get the idea? translated hes just another boy racer.

Edited by crunchy

hahaha no challenge there Glenn i use to sponcer a few of the top drift guys and got nothing in return for it despite them winning here and in the states as for the clean image?

I think hes missing the point somewhat and needs to watch the news a tad more to get the idea of the stigma thing for drifting, i don't need to paint my own wagon to prove my worth been there done that countless times.

Cant justify smoking $400 tires in two runs not that moneys an issue just fail to see the point for whats gained so you can go sideways smoking the bags, im a westie that's just an average day out here but try and run Hamptons under a 1.10 now that would get my attention and be a lot more interesting.

Where the bad image comes from is not far from me one the so called top drifters lives and also practices on the road !!! but his words were " but im a top drifter" my reply was "you of all people should know that's what the tracks for".........anyone get the idea? translated hes just another boy racer.

I get your idea... I do. I mean I was called a boy racer as soon as I bought my first car (S15 Spec R). I bought it because I liked the way it looked and drove and it was affordable on gas, not because I wanted to drift!!! But everybody saw me as a different person... So now I drive an M3 and no one calls me a boy racer, if not they call me something else (e.g. gay c**t)... What's up with that? I mean I am 195cm tall and 95kg or muscle weigh playing rough sports all my life, have a girlfriend and definitely don't look gay. From my point of view "Drift" is very young, at least compare to other types of racing it is very very young. Firstly, I don't think that any types of racing were developed on the track. To be honest I think none of them were developed on the track. Looking at them from your point of view they shouldn't be developed at all... I mean they were a threat on the road (that is why we have race tracks now, right???) But back in a day there were no tracks, there were just normal roads. Drags for example were developed in America... Back in a day people would go to the desert in America to run their straight quarter miles and 1000 miles etc. One of the most famous New Zealanders Burt Munro ("Fastest Indian") from Invercargill have put New Zealand on the World map during those times, I don't think you will call drag a pointless sport after that. Or rally drivers would go and train in the forests or on mountain roads to develop heir skills, and they still do trust me. I don't think they have less skill than any other race car drivers... Just different skills. So, how is it different for drifters choosing mountain roads to learn drifting? If track times and everything else would be more affordable and more accessible to those, who really want to do that type of racing, there would be no drifters on the roads, but it is not affordable in fact, track times for drifters cost two to three times more than for a normal type of racing (I am aware there are costs of cleaning and preparing the track involved, but I don't think they are so much different than if that would be "grip" or "drag" events). I am not defending boy racers I am defending the image that has been ruined by boy racers... Drifts are cool like any other type of motor racing and requires lots of skill to do it properly and it is not pointless... All I was saying is that in any type of racing, there is a respectable place for BMW, whether it is a 24 Le Manse Race or just a national drift event... and if there is anyone here, who can afford and have the right skill to put BMW on the map as a drifter champion I will be very happy to see them do it.

P.S. Sorry for ruining your threat "Garett".

Fair enough swordfish im looking at from 25yrs in the industry and i wrote for NZPC for over 12yrs for free, the overall image for that scene isn't good so i got out and glad i did but i debate the cost of drifting versus running a e30 it doesnt cost you 1500 a day in tires to run a e30.

Fair enough swordfish im looking at from 25yrs in the industry and i wrote for NZPC for over 12yrs for free, the overall image for that scene isn't good so i got out and glad i did but i debate the cost of drifting versus running a e30 it doesnt cost you 1500 a day in tires to run a e30.

Fair enough :) But that is a different argument again. I mean it doesn't cost your $250,000 to build a drift car to win D1 but it does to win a drag championship lol

Fair enough :) But that is a different argument again. I mean it doesn't cost your $250,000 to build a drift car to win D1 but it does to win a drag championship lol

This could on and on but the current people i sponcor for drags who just happen to be winning each of their classes that being 5 off them dont come close to that amount lol but as you say thats another argument....like any thing in life its want you want it to be.

Thanks Guys i did enjoy the read :) I think You Both have great points here.. i hope to have the car finished this year so ill try both types of racing and do the funnest, i def want to race around hampton downs on a track day... so is 1.10 the target??

i was thinking about making my own wide body kit before i paint it, maybe using some d21 navara or isuzu mu guards cut up and stiched in to my panels. we'll see how that goes soon..

this weekends mission is to do all the dash switches fit my boot pins and make the spare wheel cover. and try find a darn fuel cell. :D

This could on and on but the current people i sponcor for drags who just happen to be winning each of their classes that being 5 off them

OT: what cars do you sponsor?

Not having a go at you, Im generally interested as I know people in that scene

Edited by Blackie

OT: what cars do you sponsor?

Not having a go at you, Im generally interested as I know people in that scene

bill hamiltons pro bike runs 7.2@205mph

robbie wards Fed rb30 7.14@180mph ( RB world record but didnt back it up on next run)

steve ressen FC datalogit rx7 7.4@168mph

Robert chan supra 9.2@152mph

d*ck hytech engs evo 10.2@140mph

amounst a few street class cars and many others over the years and a few world records and not just on the strip hill climb champs GT1 cars and world endurance boats blah blah blah blah, that help you?

To make it clearer i do the turbos

Anyway enough crap about my accolades whatever you do with your project Garett make sure fun is on top of the list,nice work dude

Edited by crunchy