Sign in to follow this  
Garett

GDM - E36 Drift/Race Project

top mount now? or are my eyes playing tricks.

If so have you found room for a downpipe or changing engine mounts?

Quick update...

do your self a big favor and stand the motor up 50mm on the drivers side engine mount and drop the other side makes life bloody easy for manifolds and drop pipe.

top mount now? or are my eyes playing tricks.

If so have you found room for a downpipe or changing engine mounts?

Yeah we found a way without changing anything, the down pipe should S around the steering linkage but i tell ya it going to be tight, im glad we have gone with the top mount type manifold, 1 it will make it easier to run the pipes to and from and 2 it looks sweeeet! also the engine mounts wont be touched :)

do your self a big favor and stand the motor up 50mm on the drivers side engine mount and drop the other side makes life bloody easy for manifolds and drop pipe.

I talked to mike about this but if he's happy making it like this im happy :D

Yeah we found a way without changing anything, the down pipe should S around the steering linkage but i tell ya it going to be tight, im glad we have gone with the top mount type manifold, 1 it will make it easier to run the pipes to and from and 2 it looks sweeeet! also the engine mounts wont be touched :)

youll need a cert no matter what you do stand the motor up youll never be happier i did with mine and i can run a 4" drop pipe

youll need a cert no matter what you do stand the motor up youll never be happier i did with mine and i can run a 4" drop pipe

Yeah true... because at the moment all i can run is a 3" ill have a chat to him tomorrow, he thinks it will be done this week.

Edited by Garett

Is standing the engine up just a matter of fabricating new engine and gearbox mounts? Maybe bending the shifter a bit?

Which gearbox do you have to manage the torque coming from this?

Looking forward to seeing what is created

Is standing the engine up just a matter of fabricating new engine and gearbox mounts? Maybe bending the shifter a bit?

Which gearbox do you have to manage the torque coming from this?

Looking forward to seeing what is created

Yes i could solid mount it that would be easy to make... the shifter links on the gearbox would have to be cut and re-fabricated to suit shifter position.

Well funny enough i have the 4cyl manual behind it, going to see how long that lasts unless someone wants to buy it now, so i can get this 6spd sequential gearbox i got my eyes on.

So am i :D

Yes i could solid mount it that would be easy to make... the shifter links on the gearbox would have to be cut and re-fabricated to suit shifter position.

Well funny enough i have the 4cyl manual behind it, going to see how long that lasts unless someone wants to buy it now, so i can get this 6spd sequential gearbox i got my eyes on.

So am i :D

all parts of a car are consumable items if you dont brake it......keep trying

all parts of a car are consumable items if you dont brake it......keep trying

haha

Ok so i have had chat to him about the size of what down pipe i can run even with the 50mm engine tilt and he says that wont be enough to run any bigger than 3"

How much horsepower do you think the 3" downpipe will be able to support?

Ok so i have had chat to him about the size of what down pipe i can run even with the 50mm engine tilt and he says that wont be enough to run any bigger than 3"

How much horsepower do you think the 3" downpipe will be able to support?

well over 800

well over 800

sweet that puts my mind at ease :)

sweet that puts my mind at ease :)

when you star seeing 500plus at the wheels in rwd it gets pretty hard to use it and put it to the deck

Quick update...

post-2228-1341983639.jpg

post-2228-1341983644.jpg

Wheres the best place to take the oil feed for the turbo on this engine? picture of where would be nice :) cheers

Wheres the best place to take the oil feed for the turbo on this engine? picture of where would be nice :) cheers

i made a banjo bolt and ally spacer where the oil switch is

I took mine from where vanos would usually take its oil from. The non vanos oil filter housing seems to still have the port there for it.

I took mine from where vanos would usually take its oil from. The non vanos oil filter housing seems to still have the port there for it.

ill look into this... cheers

OK now thats all sorted...

Does anyone know who does the rear subframe bushes?? the nice type :)

OK now thats all sorted...

Does anyone know who does the rear subframe bushes?? the nice type :)

Turner motorsport (think pelican parts too) do aluminium ones which are solid mount type. Or maybe you could make your own out of spun ali. I had ruff poly style ones which i replaced with standard m3 ones, i feel these are much better for road use.

Make some up in alloy or delrin(acetal).

I've got some powerflex purple urethane ones in my car. I wouldn't recommend them because of how much mucking around you need to do to make them fit.

AKG motorsport do some very nice bushes!!! Very nice :) Have them everywhere on my M3

So today i started making a 80mm throttle body out of the m60 v8 by removing, flipping and rotating the disc on the anti skid control butterfly at the front and cutting the main throttle body in half to get a mounting plate, that i can stick to the manifold, i also have got to make an adapter to rotate the tps switch 90deg that will just be a washer with some holes in it. this has taken 1.5 hrs so far.

My bro's e30 is not to far away now, its looking like a bit of a race haha

post-2228-1343987719.jpg

post-2228-1343987730.jpg

post-2228-1343987760.jpg

post-2228-1343987782.jpg

post-2228-1343987800.jpg

post-2228-1343987808.jpg

post-2228-1343987818.jpg