Sign in to follow this  
Garett

GDM - E36 Drift/Race Project

I took our company race car down the drag strip last friday night, was a hell of alot of fun, never done it but want to keep doing it it was that much of a rush.

I was surprised at how fast it goes I did a 13.35sec at 169kph on my first pass, didnt get any better than that though tried to do a skid but failed with no smoke for the crowd haha

heres a pic before it gets its graffics

I have a video which i will post in the vid section, or check out sd european on facebook, sounds mean

post-2228-1361505877.jpg

Just a lil update, ive finally figured out what im going to do with the water lines, the idea is to take the temp guage sensor out of the head and use that as one of the water feeds and another feed from the line out of the head that goes to the throttle body.

So two feeds to a divider block - both wastegates and turbo

Return lines from both wastegates and turbo will go to another block then one 1" pipe to tee into the pipe that goes along the side of the engine.

Should work fine, ive seen other set ups doing this without the water cooled gates but with only one feed.

The temp guage sensor will be relocated somewhere else.

Pic of the progress below.. Not much has changed, its hard to work with such good weather lol

post-2228-1366004415.jpg

I like what you did with the heat shields, looked really good!

Cheers it took alot of work haha lets hope it works as well as it looks :)

It's pretty crappy weather now, get cracking!

It's pretty crappy weather now, get cracking!

I know right, i took a half day im on it right now well sorta, haha

Made up the two hoses and got the fittings out of other m50/52 heads

post-2228-1366237498.jpg

Made up the two hoses and got the fittings out of other m50/52 heads

Nice work bro well done, good idea with water lines too ! Were there is a will there is a way :)

Ok so after work today i made my water divider at of alloy with a grinder 1mm disc, drill bits, taps and die grinder.

it took about 3 hours to make. It should do the job :)

post-2228-1366438422.jpg

post-2228-1366438433.jpg

post-2228-1366438462.jpg

post-2228-1366438468.jpg

post-2228-1366438484.jpg

post-2228-1366438490.jpg

Got all but one hose fitted pics below

Quick question for the auto sparky people out there... and to clear up an idea that i had.

Idea: Speed controlled adjustable boot spoiler

Parts: 1x audi 80 alloy boot spoiler

2x E38 front seat head rest slower rotation box's

2x e36 heater flap stepper motors with rotation box's

a bit of wire

Now the question:

Ok so your dash cluster speedo needle is a stepper motor right? because I understand you need a controller but what if its possible to run a feed duplicating the signal to the motor to the heater fan stepper motors in the boot to get them to rotate as the needle does?

In turn adjusting the angle of the wing the faster you go.

After tiding up the shed today my mind started to wonder, I started cutting up the spoiler i had and added the parts to it and think it should work fine only if I can get the stepper motors mounted in the boot lid to work with the dash cluster.

Not sure if ill add it to my car but having fun making it work.

post-2228-1366867990.jpg

post-2228-1366867999.jpg

post-2228-1366868047.jpg

post-2228-1366868052.jpg

dude you have the most outside the box ideas. i like your passion for a difference.

Edited by kerry

I like ideas like the spoiler mechanism, but it could prove to be a waste of time unless your doing higher speed / wind tunnel comparison tests. Would it make much difference under normal track conditions?

Never the less is has a fun value to it.

I like ideas like the spoiler mechanism, but it could prove to be a waste of time unless your doing higher speed / wind tunnel comparison tests. Would it make much difference under normal track conditions?

Never the less is has a fun value to it.

Yep cant see it doing much for down force either but it would be pretty sweet, even just running it of a dial switch in the front, Yeah.. i will touch back on this idea when i have some more free time and when i know what im doing haha just dreams at the moment :)

dude you have the most outside the box ideas. i like your passion for a difference.

haha cheers, most of my ideas dont make it to the forum, if they did you all would think im crazy lol

Will the gear in the motor resist the downforce at 60mph? Would make a funny sight as you're going opposite lock through a corner on the track with your rear spoiler rotating like a push mower blade :ph34r:

Really enjoying the thought processes here though :) Slow day at work??

Will the gear in the motor resist the downforce at 60mph? Would make a funny sight as you're going opposite lock through a corner on the track with your rear spoiler rotating like a push mower blade :ph34r:

Really enjoying the thought processes here though :) Slow day at work??

hahAHAHA prob not, that would be a funny sight to see. yep just muckn around.

Edit: It has a transfer box that only lets it turn from one side, the input side. both rotating shafts either side will be supported by a deep hole in a alloy plate welded the mounting side of the spoiler, the center section has an alloy plate welded to it also but threads on to the rotating shaft, it has a cut out underneath so a nut can be added to lock it in place. :)

Edited by Garett

must be getting close to turn key

Yeah not to far away, just waiting for one more fitting to arrive and then i can take it in to get the turbo oil return made next week.

Then purchase all the guages and sensors, make the dash and switch board and take it to get it all wired up :) :) Paint job will come once the engines running and tuned, like i said in previous post if i get it done before summer ill be happy haha

Yeah not to far away, just waiting for one more fitting to arrive and then i can take it in to get the turbo oil return made next week.

Then purchase all the guages and sensors, make the dash and switch board and take it to get it all wired up :) :) Paint job will come once the engines running and tuned, like i said in previous post if i get it done before summer ill be happy haha

sounds like me i turned key on my big setup but wasnt happy need more power you can never have enough

sounds like me i turned key on my big setup but wasnt happy need more power you can never have enough

Haha the most powerful car ive ever had was about 140bhp lol

Haha the most powerful car ive ever had was about 140bhp lol

im sure youll improve on that

im sure youll improve on that

I bloody hope so haha

Oh got another lil update, just recieved my M54B30 exchange engine back so i now have the crank i wanted. So ill be cleaning up a space and getting all the parts together for the m50b30 forged build, but that wont be for a lil while yet.

Edited by Garett