Sign in to follow this  
Garett

GDM - E36 Drift/Race Project

Done some figures last night and figured this build so far has cost me around 16k this year and another 14k to finish it, so going off that hope have it finished next year some time and the hope for summer crusing has been pushed back to next summer :(

Done some figures last night and figured this build so far has cost me around 16k this year and another 14k to finish it, so going off that hope have it finished next year some time and the hope for summer crusing has been pushed back to next summer :(

word of advise if your ever going to build a toy never look at the costs, second its a dam site cheaper than a woman

word of advise if your ever going to build a toy never look at the costs, second its a dam site cheaper than a woman

Haha yeah and they dont stick around to long when ya spend more time on ya project than you do on them too..

Think ill be glad to get this finished and free up some time.

I finally got the exhaust manifold back from Procoat, they did a great job of it nice and even all the way round the pipe work, cheers guys.

So now i have it installed on the engine in its final resting spot, im going to have to runn some of the water,vac and oil lines now, does anyone know where you can buy the braided line and fittings close to hamilton?

More pics on my facebook page

post-2228-1359330199.jpg

post-2228-1359330205.jpg

Edited by Garett

Also i have got another sump which will need the oil drain fitting installed, im thinking above and to the right of the sump plug??

post-2228-1359330372.jpg

nice job dude

put the return as high as you can above the oil level regardless where that is and avoid tight bends 19mm return line -3an feed

Cheers steve, I talked to gss performance about the set up, fittings and hoses, they know there sh*t! so ill be ordering up soon.

As we had a day off work today i got some heat shielding from under a e46 BMW grabbed some tin snips, Dolley and a hammer and molded 3 heat shields in my engine bay, i ran out of time today due to going wakeboarding, but there will be one more that connects to the one in the rear of this photo and joins to the one underneath, they will join to each other with small rivets.

post-2228-1360137787.jpg

Edited by Garett

good idea with that heat shielding. I have some after market stuff and it is total crap. will replace with stuff like you have used.

I wonder how easy it would be to attach to the bonnet.

Edited by polley

OK guys who can get me the best price on pipes and fittings, speedflow quailty or better

list of what i need in pic... measage me on a cost please want to get the ball rolling :D

post-2228-1360272969.jpg

As we had a day off work today i got some heat shielding from under a e46 BMW grabbed some tin snips, Dolley and a hammer and molded 3 heat shields in my engine bay, i ran out of time today due to going wakeboarding, but there will be one more that connects to the one in the rear of this photo and joins to the one underneath, they will join to each other with small rivets.

That reminds me, after replacing the ABS module in my E39 for the 3rd time, and seeing that failure of them seems to be blamed on heat, and the factory shield does not go as far as the module, I was thinking of putting some heat shield material up to stop so much heat getting from the manifold to the module.

So ... what I am asking is do you have any spare for sale ??

OK guys who can get me the best price on pipes and fittings, speedflow quailty or better

list of what i need in pic... measage me on a cost please want to get the ball rolling :D

ring up greenlane speed shop as for nyles mention your a mate of mine hell look after you or ask for daniel at STA and do the same

Ok so parts are all ordered up from Nyles @ gss performance, should arrive tomorrow morning, then let the fun begin :D

That reminds me, after replacing the ABS module in my E39 for the 3rd time, and seeing that failure of them seems to be blamed on heat, and the factory shield does not go as far as the module, I was thinking of putting some heat shield material up to stop so much heat getting from the manifold to the module.

So ... what I am asking is do you have any spare for sale ??

Yeah id say would be pretty good for that, im sure there is a off cut that you can have for cheap cheap. just let me know the size ie 200x300

good idea with that heat shielding. I have some after market stuff and it is total crap. will replace with stuff like you have used.

I wonder how easy it would be to attach to the bonnet.

I dono guess there's always a way, sikaflex or pk screw to the frame work? anyway i thought you like scaring the neighbors cats when they jumped on the bonnet!

A few lil updates got the shield work done and the engine installed, brought a S/H hydro handbrake today i will fit that once the seats are in, also ordered up a boost solenoid which should be here in the morning.

I got a couple of questions hope someone can chime in

1. is there any point running separate boost control for each wastegate?

2. where the hell do i run the feed and return for the water cooling of waste gates and turbo from?

3. if im running a boost controller is it best to put the rated spring in the wastegate for the lowest psi boost i want to run because i can turn it up by adding pressure to the opposite side? blue spring is about 8 psi

post-2228-1360742094.jpg

post-2228-1360742116.jpg

post-2228-1360742162.jpg

post-2228-1360742184.jpg

post-2228-1360742206.jpg

post-2228-1360742225.jpg

post-2228-1360742250.jpg

post-2228-1360742273.jpg

Edited by Garett

all looks really good apart from the hand brake you cant get a cert for the road using it

That Heat Shielding looks exactly what I need!!!

You did a very neat job on the install too.

Why no E46's at pick'a'part *shakes fist*

all looks really good apart from the hand brake you cant get a cert for the road using it

I presume he still can under the MSNZ Authority Card he'll be needing for the Cage if it is to remain road registered?!?!?

Edited by E30-323ti

you maybe able too check the Lvvta site or ring a rep

• Like 1

Are you sure? Most rally cars have a hydro handbrake and they're all reg'd and wof'd

Pretty sure if you still have the excisting hand brake its ok

Oooh fittings and line look mean! Don't envy your wallet though haha.

Oooh fittings and line look mean! Don't envy your wallet though haha.

Yeah its looking pretty empty at the momment <_< haha