Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

offical new M5 details & pics

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/motoring...-M5-super-sedan

The M5 has been unleashed.

Official details of BMW's new M5 super sedan have been released, after images and vital details were leaked online a week ahead of their scheduled debut.

The new M5 will be powered by the same 4.4-litre twin-turbocharged V8 engine as the brand's X5 and X6 M models, following a trend from manufacturers to downsize their engines in order to save fuel.

Despite the smaller engine (the existing M5 was fitted with a 5.0-litre V10 powerplant) the new super sedan will produce a few extra kilowatts over BMW's M-badged SUV models – 412kW compared to 408kW – about 10 per cent more than its predecessor (373kW). That also puts it ahead of its main rival, Mercedes-Benz's E63 AMG, which produces 386kW from its 5.5-litre twin turbo V8 (or 410kW with the optional performance pack).

Torque output from the new 4.4-litre twin-turbo engine doesn't change from the X5 and X6 M models at 680Nm, representing a jump of 30 per cent over the old V10 engine. That figure, however, is slightly lower than the standard E63 AMG's, which produces 700Nm as standard or 800Nm with the go-fast package.

The M5's engine sends its power to the rear wheels via a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic, with a manual option a slight chance of making an appearance.

All that power apparently makes for quite a show, with online reports suggesting the M5 will complete the 0-100km/h dash in just 4.4 seconds, with the 0-200km/h sprint taking just 13 seconds. The top speed is limited at 250km/h, but if you plan to do some track days you can choose the M-Drivers Package, which boosts the top speed ability to 305km/h.

The other benefit of the new, more efficient engine is a 30 per cent drop in fuel consumption. The new model uses a claimed 9.9 litres per 100 kilometres, where the old V10 version used 13.0L/100km.

The styling of the new M5 doesn't stray far from that of the concept version unveiled at the Shanghai motor show, with only a few hardly-noticeable differences such as a sharper crease on the wing mirrors, slightly more aggressive side skirts and blacked out finials in the kidney grille. The M5 sports a set of 20-inch wheels with very low profile rubber.

BMW Australia spokesman Piers Scott admitted the leaked details and images caught the brand off guard.

Edited by M5V8

Me like very much :)

Posted Image

Not bad

Edited by Blackie

412kw & 9.9lt/100

amazing.

Can't say I'm a fan, haven't been since the E60. The E39 was the last of the good ones. My opinion, but I think what made the original M5 up to the E39 was that to the untrained eye there was no indication it was anything more than a 5 series (except that it could spin the world backwards). But the E60 and more so the F10 are clearly the more aggressive breed, like a ram pumped with testosterone. What happened to the wolf in sheep's clothing?

I also think the turbo is a bit naff. Cool idea and I know they had to do it because of emissions regulations etc but ///M shouldn't be messed with. If it can't provide knife edge throttle response I would be bitterly disappointed. Still hungering for an E39 M5, my 540i is just pretend :)

Awesome looking machine. While the standard F10 is a bit boring, the M5 kicks it open a bit. Looking forward to taking one for a spin!

Some of the so-called "///M Purists" around the planet (esp in the 5 series forums) claim that this isn't an pure M car because of ***insert reason here***. But if we really want to get picky about it - consider the original M1 was mid-engined. The M cars which followed weren't. Therefore they weren't pure.

The e30 M3 was a 4-cylinder, high revver. Every M3 after that had more cylinders. Not M pure in that case. The original M3 was a manual transmission - the e36 introduced this SMG thingy. No! Not M pure!

The original M5 was a 6 cyl. Therefore only the e34 after that was M5 pure - the e39 M5 broke the M pure rules by going to a "slower throttle response" V8. The e60, don't get me started by using a V10!!!! Not M pure, not a true M car. Yeah right. Have you driven one? The e60 M5 is M through and through. Absolutely bonkers machine. M bonkers.

Yes, I'm taking the piss a bit, but saying it isn't M-pure is quite laughable. People going from the e39 M5 into the e60 M5 did not ever go back to the e39. Simple. It was better. Faster. Better looking. Awesome sound. Those trading their e60 M5s for the F10 M5 will do the same.

I'm looking forward to having a blat in the 1 M Coupe - that will give a fairly good indication of what the turbo M engines will be like - esp compared to the insane V8 in my M3. Will be very interesting.

Apart from the SUV Ms - I'm looking forward to seeing how much of a smile these new Ms dish out!

Looks like its gone back to the E39 roots a little with the styling. You can see it in the nose and even the rear door frames....

I like it but a good looking E39 M5 is still better looking I recks....

post-9112-1308214917.jpg

post-9112-1308214990.jpg

They are pretty close...maybe they are related??

post-2746-1308216130.jpeg

post-2746-1308216214.jpeg

post-2746-1308216139.jpeg

I do like.

Looking at it compared to the e60 however one cant help think its on a par looks wise and maybe in certain opinions a step backwards. The gills still look nicer on the e60 and the longer nose isnt always the first thing that warms my cockles. BMWs shorter noses are a institution, will be sad if they start to copy the japanese.

I think it's fair to say alot of the evolution of this M is under the skin... I mean tech in that engine....

...dual twin scroll turbochargers and catalyting converters are in the 90-degree V between the cylinder banks, reducing the length of the intake and exhaust plumbing and positioning the “cats†close to the exhaust ports so they reach their optimum operating temperature as soon as possible after the engine has started.

The cross-bank exhaust manifold ducts the hot gases evenly through four ducts, each of which is fed by one cylinder on each bank for the smoothest possible gas flow into the impellers, to reduce turbo lag and even out the pressure pulses - even at 1.5 bar of boost.

Has turbo placement like this been done before? I haven't heard of it.

Amazing tech. Aggressive styling. Power & economy when you want it.

Edited by M5V8

So tuneable. Dinan are going to have a very good few years. 480kw easy.

Edited by Phil75

oh god. good point

I think it's fair to say alot of the evolution of this M is under the skin... I mean tech in that engine....

...dual twin scroll turbochargers and catalyting converters are in the 90-degree V between the cylinder banks, reducing the length of the intake and exhaust plumbing and positioning the “cats†close to the exhaust ports so they reach their optimum operating temperature as soon as possible after the engine has started.

The cross-bank exhaust manifold ducts the hot gases evenly through four ducts, each of which is fed by one cylinder on each bank for the smoothest possible gas flow into the impellers, to reduce turbo lag and even out the pressure pulses - even at 1.5 bar of boost.

Has turbo placement like this been done before? I haven't heard of it.

Amazing tech. Aggressive styling. Power & economy when you want it.

Merc started this with the........diesel.

I think all of the M5s are excellent. Right from the 80s to this one.

Just a shame its cheating with turbos. I'd rather have true naturally aspirated M power M5 though.

Edited by E36V8

I think all of the M5s are excellent. Right from the 80s to this one.

Just a shame its cheating with turbos. I'd rather have true naturally aspirated M power M5 though.

Arguement that everyone has had and agreed with but sign of the times, turbo = better fuel consumption and power.

Arguement that everyone has had and agreed with but sign of the times, turbo = better fuel consumption and power.

The turbo M powerplants are going to have to earn respect. So far so good.

Interesting, I think I'm going to have to keep this M3 though - just read a review of the 1M Coupe vs M3 and the conclusion was:

"But is it better? Lieberman and I agree: No. This big, heavy, and expensive M3, with its unflappable confidence and lascivious powertrain, is the car we want, the car we'll remember as the best of the naturally aspirated Ms. It's the one we'll tell young gearheads about in a few decades with the same fondness and reverence as given its E30 ancestor. The 1M doesn't measure up to the M3's standard. Few cars do."

Have a read: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes...ison/index.html

I suppose its safe to say prices of 2nd hand E60 M5's will have a sharp decline now ?

As the ones before it, get an E39 M5 for mids twentys now.

Anyone who has driven an X5M or X6M will tell you theres no problem what so ever with throttle response.

In my opinion they are just as fast to respond as an E60 M5, not necessarily as instant but not far off.

Everything happens pretty quickly.

in a 5 series it will be even better.

The new M5 had to meet Euro 5/6 regulations, theres no way that was going to happen in an NA car without it costing massive amounts of money to produce. look at a Lambo or Ferrari, they put out as much co2 per km as 3 120d's.

but each to their own :D

is it just me but does it look even better in the video?