Sign in to follow this  
kinetik

F30 M3 and other M rumors

Posted Image

Get ready for a boom in M cars. The boss of BMW’s M Division, Dr Friedrich Nitschke, has confirmed that a raft of new models wearing the famous badge is on the way – with the M2 to be joined by a powerful M3 and a successor to the M1 supercar.

“Our pace of development must accelerate,†he told Auto Express in an exclusive interview. “We can build more cars, and we can build a wider range of cars.â€

The new flagship 3 Series is due in 2014, and will feature a fresh 3.3-litre six-cylinder engine. This is set to get three turbos – one powered by electricity, rather than the exhaust gases – and is rumoured to offer 450bhp. A mix of steel and ultra-light carbon fibre-reinforced plastic in the body will help deliver huge pace.

But as Nitschke revealed, the car will also be efficient. “There will be a bigger focus on very low fuel consumption,†he said. “The new M3 will prove this.†However, this more eco-friendly approach won’t dilute the M Division’s high-performance appeal – as a replacement for the M1 supercar is finally coming close to reality.

This has been on the drawing board for more than 11 years, but only now does technology allow it to deliver the pace drivers would demand. “We have a fantastic history with the M1,†Dr Nitschke said. “The decision on developing this car is open. We’d love to do it.â€

There’s no word on engines – but it would need a V10 or V12 to compete with rivals from Aston Martin, Lamborghini and Ferrari. If the project gets the green light, it’s unlikely to arrive before 2016.

The company is also looking at a successor to the ‘breadvan’ – the Nineties Z3M Coupe. “There’s no decision on an M version of the Z4,†added Dr Nitschke, “but this is something we could do easily.â€

In addition, he spelled out a keenness for the M Division to “increase the speed with which we launch new modelsâ€. A lighter ‘CSL’ version of the new 1 Series M Coupe is on the cards, which could take cues from 2007’s tii concept.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr...l#ixzz1RWIaJatM

Electric turbo :lol:

Why do they need so many goddamn models?

It seems as though BMW is following in Audi's footsteps.

Obviously choice is a good thing and no one's going to complain about having more cars to choose from, but I think for the M marque it takes away from the prestige of it somewhat.

Back when it was M3, M5, M6 or **** off, the M brand was far more special.

If they're going to be offering a 1M, M1, M2, M3, M5, M6, X5M, X6M it makes M cars a bit of a yawn. Every few days they'll be releasing another one. Nothing special or prestigious about that.

Again, not saying this wont be hugely successful, because it will be. It just tarnishes the M brand for me a bit.

And that new M3's looks are going to need a bit of getting used to.

Looks like a beast! Sign me up!

I think the 1M has proven beyond doubt that the M division still has the ability to hack together a brilliant bit of kit like the e30 M3 was. People forget that the e30 was a real hack job, the seam welded coupe body, with e34 suspension bits, m10 block with a hacksawed 6cyl head smacked on top. Yes, I do know there was more to it, but seriously, it wasn't far off!!

For some reason, there are this group of people who think they know whats right for M cars and usually can be spotted saying "the e39 M5 was the last real M5" and "no M3 since the e30 has been a proper M3" and other such statements. These people have never sat their arse in a e60 M5 or e46 M3 CSL, and it shows! Those older M models are absolute masterpieces too. Even driving the much maligned X6M made me realize that even though I laughed when I first saw the press release, they certainly delivered a monster machine that's insanely fast and defies physics like you wouldn't believe. But is it a M car? That is a good question. What badge do you put on such a beast, X6+?

Does driving the e60 M5 in m mode give you the feeling it is the greatest of all M5s? I know what I think, but get out and try it...

So, if the M division decide even a V6 engine with 6 turbos and AWD is the answer to a better M3, and the reviewers gush over it like they are about the 1M, then I fully support it!! (and will buy it)

How is offering a M version or each model make having a M car less prestigeous? The cars themselves will be amazing and the fact not everyone that walks into BMW leave with a M car, they are special because not everyone can afford them, you pay a premium to get something so special. Regardless of how many M models they bring out I don't think they will loose their elite or prestige because only a certain kind of buyer are after them. Thats what I think anyway and I think it is about time BMW offer something a little more special to buyers I also think more people need to start using the BMW Individual program and specifying their own cars to the spec they choose, so if you want prestige, opt for that.. :D

Looks like a cat with its eyes stretched back.

I reckon its badass, and all the M models are awesome fun to drive and drive like M cars..

Most people on here who comment on them havent driven them.

I am sure they will be excellent cars.

But reading things like 'electric turbo' are a little off putting, they will have to put the work in to pull that off!

I've driven nearly all M cars except that damn 1M, all i can say is if the M division keeps heading in the same direction they're going then these cars are only going to get better and better, sure some of the car shapes will have to grow on you but they do, the E60, awsome, the F10, awsome, the F10 M5, horney as hell!

You can never have too many M cars. I can't wait to drive the 1M too!!

I am also wondering about the electric turbo bit. But the mock up photo look mean-as.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BMW F30 M3 / F32 M3 Testing With Tri-Turbo I6 Engine Spied for First Time!

Exciting moment folks! We bring you the very first spyshots of the next generation M3. These photos show an F30 3-series sedan with several trademark M3 features such as quad-exhaust, flared fenders and drilled brake discs.

We believe the next M3 will be powered by a triple-turbocharged inline-6 engine with an output of around 450hp. It would be based on the N54/55 engine and use not only two traditional turbochargers but also a third electric turbocharger.

Scott26 claims that these photos are no indication of an M3 sedan making it to production. Rather, BMW had only an F30 prototype to use for testing the M3 parts and components. Don't count the F30 M3 sedan out yet however, as it's been alluded to that it may still be in the plans -- despite the rather slow sales of the E90 M3 sedan.

Expect the new M3 to hit the market sometime in 2014. As we reported earlier, the E90 M3 sedan will end production this October while the E92/3 M3 coupe and convertible will be produced through June 2012 at least.