Sign in to follow this  
jom

Hidden Speed Cameras

Seen on SHI south of Mana roundabout - spot the camera van.....

So is this legal? Isn't there a requirement that camera vans are supposed to be a visible deterrent?

post-2945-1312596588.jpg

post-2945-1312596636.jpg

Edited by Jo M

Speed camera is a speed camera, no matter where it is, that is just like having an empty (or not) camera "box" on telephone pole, you never know.

Don't want to get caught, don't speed.

Nope they can hide them anywhere anytime only rule left is not with 150m of a corner. Though that maybe gone too.

Don't want to get caught, don't speed.

+1

From memory, they don't ticket every photo taken. Only the top certain percent are sent ticket. If you got a ticket in the mail from a camera van, you truely deserve it.

the way the camera is facing, its clearly visible. mobile van cameras very rarely are aimed at the side of the road where traffic is leaving them as they arent accurate enough. it will be picking up the traffic going the other way

the way the camera is facing, its clearly visible. mobile van cameras very rarely are aimed at the side of the road where traffic is leaving them as they arent accurate enough. it will be picking up the traffic going the other way

+1, it's for traffic going northbound.

Very visible, and my radar detector would pick it up way off anyway.

+1, it's for traffic going northbound.

Very visible, and my radar detector would pick it up way off anyway.

It's ticketing southbound. Got a ticket for 106k at Easter....

It's ticketing southbound. Got a ticket for 106k at Easter....

Also the northbound road curves away right there, so it has to be ticketing southbound. Couldnt possibly get northbound unless they stuck the camera out the side. He sits there at least once a week, I've waved at him many times...

from the first photo posted, that doesnt count as a corner lol

..... leaving them as they arent accurate enough. it will be picking up the traffic going the other way

Not so true, the ATS speedcamera is capable of monitoring 'strike' zones and different lanes. They are infact very accurate. They are very easy to setup by a camera operator.

This goes the same for redlight camera systems and fixed pole speed cameras. They all use the same software/system.

coincidentaly i was in a police car today (im not as bad ass at it may seem on face value lol) and this topic came up in chit chat with the detective. im not saying im or he is right though, i would be more inclined to agree with you.

From memory, they must be visible from 50m, which that looks like it would be.

I thought they had to be legally parked too, which that one does not look to be as its on the grass verge if a motorway.

You would think so, however its not on the shoulder, and that strip there isn't technically motorway..

So he's basically parked up in a council garden that happens to serve as a median strip.

Loving the misinformation being touted as fact by the armchair experts.

I was hoping somone would know....

From the Police website, at https://www.police.govt.nz/resources/2007/s...forcement-guide

"All speed measuring devices are to be operated in an overt manner. Hidden or camouflaged deployment is not to be used unless there is a specific operation targeting offending consisting of:

Sustained loss of traction; or

Engaging in an unauthorised street or drag race; or

Dangerous or reckless driving.

The operation cannot effectively or safely be conducted using overt means."

However, this Speed enforcement guide expired in 2009. Have there been new guidelines published?

PS: I took the photo from about 50 metres away. There is no way that you can see that van until you are passing it.

Honestly, does it really matter that much?

You have way to much time on your hands mate.

106 on a motorway with no oncoming traffic, You Heathen "Bailiff Take him outside and whack his peepee"

just be thankfull they were there to save lives and not just revenue gather

Its legal but completely undefendable by the camera operator as being there for the said purpose of introduced Speed Cameras to save lives

Ditto for the pole mounted ones,

Thanks alot Jenny Shipley

This site is full of sarcastic wankers who are totally unhelpful and rude. "If you don't speed you won't get caught" is such a cop-out, you might as well surrender all your civil liberties under the banner of "if you've got nothing to hide..." blah blah

Loving the misinformation being touted as fact by the armchair experts.

Mate it's the internet, not a courtroom, who are you to judge who's an armchair expert? If you know some vital piece of info, why don't you share it? Instead of making silly smug comments like that.

Honestly, does it really matter that much?

You have way to much time on your hands mate.

ANOTHER ONE

Looks like you're the one with too much time, if you feel the need to make stupid comments like that. It may not be of importance to you, but some of us take issues like this seriously, as we enjoy living in a reasonably liberal society, and wish to protect it.

Sorry, I'm not feeling that last statement.

Yes we live in a liberal society, but there are LAWS, many of which relate to the way a person behaves in their automobile, speed cameras are there for a reason, no matter where they are, how are mounted, how many cars they snap etc.

I suggest if you feel that strongly about the issue, take it up with the relevant people who can do something about the issue you have.

Too many come on here expecting sympathy for crimes committed (not saying you are one, but you may have been by said camera?) - it doesn't often (if at all) happen.

:wub:

edit, Pretty sure bravo is one of the founding fathers of this forum, so he has every right to judge, he no doubt has seen a lot.

Edited by Josh_

This site is full of sarcastic wankers who are totally unhelpful and rude. "If you don't speed you won't get caught" is such a cop-out, you might as well surrender all your civil liberties under the banner of "if you've got nothing to hide..." blah blah

It's the truth though right!!

Anyways, the info given in this thread imo has plenty of info for those actually worried about "hidden speed cameras"

Have one of these, i hope you have a better weekend!

post-5369-1313209934.jpg

damn loose.. it was a civil conversation on a legit topic until you up and opened da can of rage.. we know CHCH is in a bad shape. but take a chill pill will ya. enjoy the rest of the weekend :)