Sign in to follow this  
slowe30

e30 m52 build

thought it would be about time i started a build thread for my e30.

my m52b28 got dropped of today and i already have alot of questions building up to do with the wiring, so ive taken pictures of several plugs that i need to figure out

post-15572-1314608087.jpg

there is one plug in the above photo, a sensor, a random wire and a ground.

post-15572-1314608208.jpg

this photo has a plug in the rocker cover / vanos area. nothing looks like they go to it and apparently vanos has been removed but i cant confirm that

post-15572-1314608372.jpg

heres another plug behind the starter motor, with yet another un-used ground

post-15572-1314608508.jpg

im guessing these 2 are for the Ho2 sensors, not sure why they were left unplugged

post-15572-1314608611.jpg

here is one vaccum fitting and one hose that i want to check up on

post-15572-1314608790.jpg

no idea what goes onto the camcase ventilator, and also unsure if that is the vanos unit and if it will still be used

post-15572-1314608895.jpg

a unknowen plug close to the MAF plug, and also a random wire sticking out from a harness

post-15572-1314609003.jpg

and last but not least, 2 plugs close some relays and the ecu connector.

any help with this will be great as electrical things are not quite my thing, and as some of these may not be from the factory are a little confusing.

Edited by SlowE30

Is this from Welly? I'd confirm the vanos removal first, and have the cams been locked securely. All the plugs etc are easy, what's the engine loom from, and what ecu is it using? First pic is aftermarket water which will need to be plumbed in to a pipe with a fitting somewhere, other plugs too hard to see. Second pic is temp sensor, would guess 3rd pic is crank sensor, black wire is starter, think 4th pic are knock sensors, 5th pic 1 is brake booster, 2 is icv return, others are hard to see from pics, and not sure they belong where they are.

Would suggest you pm me and come see my car, it's all done, using the same setup by the looks, you need to know what you're doing, or at least know someone who does. ;)

PM Kerry (Mosens) he should be able to help you with the wiring more so than i can as he built the loom and i just plugged it in. dont worry about the plugs next to those relays they dont go to anything. i dont think i ran o2 sensors.. are there any in the headers? As for identifying whats what, i dont remember, but all those plugs only connect to one thing, so by process of elimination you can sort it out

I had a filter on the end of the crankcase breather hole. youll need to connect a pipe from here to the intake for cert iirc because of the whole emissions thing swaps need to meet these days.

from the factory this goes to a hole that is on the intake for emissions. the hole is underneath the intake manifold sort of toward the back of the engine from memory. would have done this if id taken the car to get a cert

I had the car running and driving and was happy to leave it in than state, so anything that isnt connected (other than the MAF and ECU etc) arent needed to make the car run

the oil temp sensor is if you run an external gauge, as is the water temp. I used the factory radiator one, and didnt rn a oil temp.

cant remember if i took anything off the starter motor, but all the wires will be there anyway

Vanos isnt removed

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Hey Andy, did you lock the cams, and which ecu did you use, just out of interest?

Hey Andy, did you lock the cams, and which ecu did you use, just out of interest?

No it still has vanos, and its using an M50 ECU programmed buy gavin. I think its an M50 loom with OBD2 fuel rail and such. Kerry probably has a build thread on here somewhere explaining it all

i dont think i did a build thread on that but dave is on to it with the plugs from what i remember.... it was a long time ago :blink:

it was almost exactly a year ago for me too! picked it up at last years trackday and installed that next weekend and never touched it again ha

ill give them a go at figuring them out, yea it does have the o2 sensors in the exhaust so ill see if they plug up.

all these thing i should be able to get sorted, just the fact that i would like the conversion to go as smoothly as possible and get the car in and out asap.

is there anyone in the auckland area that would be the best to talk to?

and thanks for all this information so far, wasnt expecting it all quite so fast

i can wire it up if you bring it here

papakura

actually, ill be in auckland in devonport on the 12th if you want me to come over? not sure how far away that is from you? you have my number anyway

thought id finally get some pictures of the car up

post-15572-1315632282.jpg

post-15572-1315632291.jpg

post-15572-1315632303.jpg

and the diff i got for it today. it a 3.25 (i think) medium case lsd :D

post-15572-1315632244.jpg

still looking for a set of 6 cylinder low springs, dont mind if they arnt to good they will only be a temporary thing.

its got some king springs in it at the moment but the rears are super lows the front are only lows and are made for a 4 cylinder so need something made for the extra weight.

if i cant find springs then i cant start the conversion, and if it takes to long to find some to suit then i might just get the coilovers i want straight away

does anyone know weather the medium case lsd will be a direct bolt in to replace my standard small case diff? i just had a look at a housing from a small case and it seems so much thinner.

not sure if it was just because it was only the housing without the output shaftson the small case or if it actually is ALOT thinner.

and also the time is just about here, should be starting the install this weekend :D . going to be fun sorting through all the old m40 electrics, shouldnt be to bad tho

straight swap, easy as.

3.25 will be a cruiser, won't have great acceleration.

straight swap, easy as.

3.25 will be a cruiser, won't have great acceleration.

4.45 makes for brutal tyre shredding.

yea, im hoping to just cruze with the car initially, but it will still have more pull than the knackered m40 im pulling of of it. and changing ratios wont be to hard when i finally get to it.

anyone had their diff tighted up a little bit before? ive been recommened "Diff and axle repair" (think thats what their called) and told he just plays with it a little and removes some factory set restrictions. im taking it in to them tomorrow to see what he says but just wanted some thoughts from others

Only person I'd ever use for my diff is Kayne Barrie in Silverdale, he is the man for Diffs and gearboxes.

His ph is 09 441 4994, real nice guy who knows what he does.

started the conversion tonight, got quite a bit of work done from what i was expecting to do.

the engine and box will be out tomorrow afternoon, and im picking some springs up off andrew (APT) tomorrow after i finish work.

so far so good, hope the rest of it goes as smoothly as it has so far.

and yes pictures will be put up soon as i know you all love them

nice work and progress, is your rear brakes drum or disk? mite be worth considering changing to disks.

its factory disk, facelift 318s came disc 316s came drum and prefacelift 318s drum if i recall correctly.

anyways i got the motor out today, cleaned the engine bay, found a little surface rust and put some rust protectant stuff on it, got my new springs from andrew, took a few photos but havent downloaded them yet. and im surprised no ones said anything about my car yet, with those hideous mags and being higher in the front than the back and being dirty as anything. feal free to add more on to this list as it will be things that i will consider changing/upgrading

can someone correct me here if im wrong but the manual 240 box from an m40 engine is the exact one needed for a 24v swap

its factory disk, facelift 318s came disc 316s came drum and prefacelift 318s drum if i recall correctly.

anyways i got the motor out today, cleaned the engine bay, found a little surface rust and put some rust protectant stuff on it, got my new springs from andrew, took a few photos but havent downloaded them yet. and im surprised no ones said anything about my car yet, with those hideous mags and being higher in the front than the back and being dirty as anything. feal free to add more on to this list as it will be things that i will consider changing/upgrading

can someone correct me here if im wrong but the manual 240 box from an m40 engine is the exact one needed for a 24v swap

From what I have read the 240/260 is fine! What gearbox mount are you going to use?

i brought ETHRTY's old set up so ive got everything there. i was just wondering about the gearbox as ive heard different things about them. it was more for curiositys sake but thanks :D

if you use the one i gave you then yes its an M40G240 gearbox. anything else and you end up needing custom mounts and/or driveshaft. to my knowledge its the only manual gearbox that allows you to use 100% BMW parts bin stuff

yea im using the one you had, but just incase anything happens, i now know i have an idential spare.

anyways update time

on its way out

post-15572-1316332071.jpg

post-15572-1316332085.jpg

post-15572-1316332091.jpg

post-15572-1316332101.jpg

post-15572-1316332110.jpg

look at the size difference between the motors, remember the gearboxs are the same

post-15572-1316332121.jpg

post-15572-1316332138.jpg

took it outside to clean te engine bay

post-15572-1316332147.jpg

post-15572-1316332173.jpg

post-15572-1316332187.jpg

the new springs

post-15572-1316332195.jpg

some damage i found on top of the steering rack, picking e36 one up off hellbm tomorrow (i know the picture isnt to good, just imagine the metal casing on a rack worn through just about completely)

post-15572-1316332203.jpg

and just a couple more for fun :P

post-15572-1316332211.jpg

post-15572-1316332223.jpg

What colour is your car ? it looks the same as mine :D

dont know the propper name, its a real deep purple. in the sun it sets off and looks awesome, but in the dark it looks black, so i got the best of both worlds.

definatly needs a repaint sometime in the future, roofs fading and the boot has the clearcoat comming off, also had a couple of drift trike accidents and put deep scratches in the right hand rear corner panel, and i line down the drivers side of the car about 15cm off the ground, but itll do for now. needs the go before the show i reakon

EDIT BMW-royalblau-metalic if im reading the right tag :P

Edited by SlowE30