Sign in to follow this  
No name user

M42 TURBO/M50B25 TURBO

Edited by crunchy

If I read correctly the N42 is going into a e36 and the m50 into a e34?

What is your opinion on intake plenum sizes for turbo applications. Ie the same volume or twice the capacity of the engine? Or a different formula if you use your own?

Pretty cool projects. Very interested to see how the m50 runs with low compression and high boost :D

Great projects Steve..... BTW your 4 pot is a M42 not the later N42

looks cool . hope it goes well.

look forward the finished results

just a question , why a dizzy on the M42 and m50 instead of using the coil packs that they normally use??

Looks awesome .. and that m42 should go real well. Had a mate with one turboed in an e30 and it was one hella of a good time. Perfect power vs weight distrobution in my opinion. I kind of wish someone would turbo a 2.3 s14 from the e30 m3 ... would be again one hell of a motor in any car and flow pretty well. You can port them pretty well or if you have the $$$ modify a 2.5ltr head.

Nice work on the engines, keen to see more stuff youre cooking up.

PS we both need to get started on Ray's monster soon :)

Why did you choose to go low compression for the m50?

I'm guessing with the amount of power you want your no longer going to be on pump gas.

Is there anything special you need to do to the engine to get it running vertical?

What gearbox are you going to use?

Looks fun

s

if the s14 motors werent so exspencive would be fun but the m42 are cheap to do and swap parts on apart from the cracking heads but we found a fix for bmw's mistake, you dont need a 20mm square hole to feed a 3mm hole so weld it up actually where they put the hole isnt needed at all most race engines like the m10 based f1 block never ran gas holes from the block to the head they just existed out the end of the block to feed the head.

once he gets the sump welded then the fun begins :D

Actions certainly speak louder than words. Great stuff Steve.

The sump is ready for the M3 project Steve/ Josh

Edited by HELLBM

Great post crunchy! How do you choose the sweep radius, angle of entry and length of your steel inlet tracts, is it just similar to standard or a complex calculation?

Great post crunchy! How do you choose the sweep radius, angle of entry and length of your steel inlet tracts, is it just similar to standard or a complex calculation?

the radius of the trumpets is 1.5 times the runner diameter and the length is calculated on rpm i want to run to which is 8500 the angle of entry is pretty much determind by the room factor to which as you can see similar to stock, theres nothing wrong with the stock manifold just wont handle lots of boost shame they never made them in ally.

I have plenty of real world calculations i use if anyone interested for both n/a and forced induction.

And yo Mr Ray ill come pay you a visit and lets get this Hellbm weapon cranking itll turn some heads B)

Love the function over form approach. Definitly a bit of me although half the sh*t I have made in my race car is way more rangi.

Love it!

You would get on really well with my engine guy :D

That's all I could say though haha, keep up the good work, very impressive!

What do you make the headers from? stainless schedule 10?

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with

that looks very well thought out,Steve. well done

my project definatly looks rangi compared to yours ^_^

and totaly understand your reluctance of posting up your progress.

cheers marty

Awesome project ,Very impressed. Keep us posted

Great job, are you doing any upgrades to the drive shaft? Was the car originally a 525i e34?

Hows it all coming along? any more progress pictures? are you far off having a running (tyre)smoke machine??

Awesome project, Im doing my own intake manifold aswell, did you make yours out of aluminium? I plan on mine being forward facing/front fed what made you stick to center fed? did you use original runners and cut off the plenum?

Keep it up!