Sign in to follow this  
hodray

Underwhelmed

Just collected my E34 540i six speed manual from Dunedin and travelled 1200km to Huntly in the last couple of days...Travelled SH1 most of way, but turned off at Waiouru then travelled thru -Tamaranui-Otorahanga-Ngaruawhahia etc (more twist and turns that way)

The car is a Hellrot red, 2 owner, low kilometre (120), mint cond car, running on 16 inch rims with (225-55-16 fr and 245-50-16 bck) tyres..the car is pretty much "standard" but has msports suspension and msport seats.

My existing car is a E46 330i 5 speed Manual Sedan

...First Impressions

Handling... the car sits on the road and handles superbly, no problems whatever, feels and drives "smaller" than it looks, the car feels planted...handles better than my e46

Performance... apparently the car has 210 kw's of power and 400nm's of torques, it really doesn't "feel" like it...unless you stand on the throttles and rev the tits off it, that is. Doesn't have the instant throttle response or liveliness of my e46 330. I think the power is more old school bmw ...its there but the trick is accessing it...

Steering: heavy...(ish) but accurate, pick a line with smooth steering inputs, doesn't miss its mark, tracks superbly. The steering wheels a big ugly ol' thing tho.... more different to, than better or worse than the e46

Brakes...mmmmm this is where things go "awry"...it's bit like the performance, "ya gotta jump on'em to make em work", light braking application does virtually nothing to retards cars progress, only with "heavy" application of brakes, does something of "value" happen...I guess i've got to get used to them or upgrade 'em maybe..

In this area the e46 beats this car hand down....

Gear Box...she's a Getrag 6speed need I say more...shifts superbly doesn't miss a beat... use 1234 around town

use 3456 open road. My e46 has a Getrag 5peed ...which is also suberb

Anyway just a few thoughts to be picked over by everyone..the car in general is magnificent, looks good in red even on it's 16inch rims (which suprised me) the leathers full bison (black) awesome...the car is farelly "basic" in terms of equipment etc which is fine by me (less to go wrong) someones put in a "stereo" that looks kinda outta place, and someones also put a"boot spoiler" and "Msport badge" on her .... but thats ok

Will post photo's in next couple of days or so....keep tracking

Edited by hodray

I'm pretty sure I know the car you've bought, man Pete from Otago Tyres?

Very nice car - a keeper - don't f**k it!

Uhhh... you do realise you're not comparing apples with apples.

The E34 is a mid-sized sedan car designed in the mid-late 80's.

The E46 is a small sports coupe/sedan designed almost 10 years later.

Not to mention the fact the M54 only puts out 50 less horsepower than the V8 in a substantially lighter car. It's 0-100 time is also only 0.5secs slower than the 540i.

I mean if you don't want the car, I'll happily take it off your hands for you. ;)

Handling... the car sits on the road and handles superbly, no problems whatever, feels and drives "smaller" than it looks, the car feels planted...handles better than my e46

this always amazes me. i dont quite know why they feel that way. but at stock rideheight they are terrible. its amazing what some stiffer springs and slightly closer to the ground can do

a diff change will help with the get up and go

they run a pretty tall 2.93 , swap it out for a 3.15 3.25 or 3.46 etc to make go a bit better.

as far as the handling and steering , just go though it all and make sure all the bushes and ball joints are newish etc

will due for a overhaul in that department if it hasn't been done already.

brakes will fell a bit funny as the are boosted by a hydo system not vac system.

also how good are the disc and pads?? how old is the brake fluid??

as far as proformance goes they put out pretty good power but there are a few things that can be improved on

if the AFM is going off it will use more gas and not proform as it should , clean air filter , new plugs ,

the PCV fails on these and causes rough idle and smoke on start up .

vaccuum leaks??

for a bit more V* sound change the rear muffler for a leighter free flowing one.

also changing the heavy dual mass flywheel and clutch for a nice new leight weight ali one will help it rev out.

like this

you are welcome to bring it around for me to look at if you like

Yeah the final drive ratio wouldn't be helping.

Wouldn't hurt to do a good service to the motor too, it may have lost a bit of power over the years..

A self-serving response...

Does a 540 have a large case diff? If yes, I have a 3.64 ring and pinion I really should sell as I sold the car I was going to put it in...

The m60b40 engine isn't vanos equipped.

The later cars use single or double vanos and for the most give you a lower kick feeling you wanting.

The m60b40 engine isn't vanos equipped.

The later cars use single or double vanos and for the most give you a lower kick feeling you wanting.

M60 has 210kw at 5800RPM, and 400Nm at 4500RPM

M62 has 210kw at 5700RPM, and 420Nm at 3900RPM - 1996 to 1998

M62 has 210kw at 5400RPM, and 440Nm at 3600RPM - 1998 on.

My 1999 E38 with the later M62 has fantastic kick.

Edited by jimbo

^^^^^^^^

Again Youre not comparing apples with apples.

The m60 IS a slug compared to any m62-older technology blah blah.

Buy my e39 6spd -that'll get your sphincter twitching.

unrestricted m62b44

190rwkw(approx 240kw /330hp at the flywheel)

490Nm

My thoughts too.

You thinking what Im thinking Greg?? hahahha

Concentrate on what we have.

The real figures of a M62B44 are quite something... funny how I could have had one of those instead of what I have now.

Guess my 191kw / 360nm will just have to do for the meantime. :(

The real figures of a M62B44 are quite something... funny how I could have had one of those instead of what I have now.

Guess my 191kw / 360nm will just have to do for the meantime. :(

It'll do.