Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

E36 M3 Owners - Coolant Tank setup (next to fuse box)

Hi E36 M3 owners, if it's not too much trouble when any of you have some free time could you take some pictures of your M3's Coolant expansion tank setup?

I just want to get an idea of how the brackets/mounts work for them as I need to install the same setup in my car.

I bought an M3 Euro tank and then got a set of brackets for it but they're wrong, turns out they are actually for a USA spec M3, so because of that they can only go where my brake booster is.... <_<

I could probably mock some mounts up out of alloy or thin steel, but factory pressed ones are just that much nicer.

So yeah, any close up, clear pictures would be extremely appreciated! Hopefully from there I can work out what parts I need....

Edited by V8E36

Hi E36 M3 owners, if it's not too much trouble when any of you have some free time could you take some pictures of your M3's Coolant expansion tank setup?

I just want to get an idea of how the brackets/mounts work for them as I need to install the same setup in my car.

I bought an M3 Euro tank and then got a set of brackets for it but they're wrong, turns out they are actually for a USA spec M3, so because of that they can only go where my brake booster is.... <_<

I could probably mock some mounts up out of alloy or thin steel, but factory pressed ones are just that much nicer.

So yeah, any close up, clear pictures would be extremely appreciated! Hopefully from there I can work out what parts I need....

Micheal PM me your email address and I'll send a couple of photos to you Edited by sweetm3

some pics

have bigger ones if needed

post-279-1320270386.jpg

post-279-1320270408.jpg

Its easy enough to modify the brackets to fit.

I have done this with my e30 with s50b32 and s50 expansion tank.

I hear rubber bands work too :ph34r:

Have you checked realOEM.com?

edit* Had a look and they aren't listed under the expansion tank. Maybe another category?

Edited by DrphTa

There are no specific brackets you can buy. The brackets are welded on and considered a part of the inner guard. Just the same as the air box brackets.

Edited by *Glenn*

Have an M3 shell you can cut some off.

Thanks for the pictures Mark

There are no specific brackets you can buy. The brackets are welded on and considered a part of the inner guard. Just the same as the air box brackets.

Yeah... that had crossed my mine a couple of times - I think you are right.

Have an M3 shell you can cut some off.

Oh yeah, would you be able to snap a couple of pictures so I can get an idea of how they would need to be cut? Would be much appreciated Ray!

You can purchase the brackets for the expansion tank.

Where from ?? Nothing I could find in ETK and all spot welded brackets on inner guards are considered a part of the guard

edited post post above with links.

Some d*ck stole brendons laptop with all the part numbers I used and other core information :| ... took a bit of finding but im pretty sure its in the link above. As I said, I managed to buy them through a dealer so it is possible.

If you really cant find it I can get Gary to drag up some old purchase records and trawl through those .. will take a bit of time though

I'll try finding that in ETK in the morning. I dont think it exists in ETK. I'll check though

Like Glenn said, mines welded to the wheel arch.

If you could find out Josh that would be a big help.

In the meantime seeing what Ray has off some old M3 shells might be the best way to go.

If you could find out Josh that would be a big help.

In the meantime seeing what Ray has off some old M3 shells might be the best way to go.

Sweet as.

Here you go.

Plastic bit:

25 BRACKET EXPANSION TANK 1 17111719190

Posted Image

10 COOLING WATER COMPENSATION TANK BRACKET 1 41122256492

Posted Image

04 Bracket f cool.expans.tank/diagn.plug 1 41112491298

Posted Image

No worries, these were some of the whore components we had to find that were stuck in bizzare loctions in the catalog.

My fav is the e30 m3 only engine/wire harness cover... _that_ was a bitch to find.

Cheers Josh.

I actually have all those parts.

The trouble is they seem to fit it where my Brake Booster is.... the American E36/E30 owners use these parts for their M3 Coolant tank conversion.

So not really any use on a RHD version.

Hmmmm

Your booster is on the R/H side, coolant reservoir on the left???

My brake booster is on the driver side, coolant tank wants to go go on the passenger side...

That's where the coolant tank lives, on the passenger side. Behind the airbox.

Thats correct.

Unfortunately the brackets I bought and ones Josh quoted only suit the driver side which is useless because of the brake booster being there.