Sign in to follow this  
Haka

New Member- E39 M5 2003

Hello Bimmersport Community,

I purchased a E39 M5 2003 with 64000 kms in April after owning a 2001 530 M (fine car, creamy 6 is brilliant) for 2 years. The 530M is still in the family; a present to in laws...

The E39 M5 is a dream come true. I am truly attached to this car, so much so my wife is getting worried...

Whilst, it is ballasitc I would look to get more out of it in terms of mods (under the bonnet). Upgraded air filters, upgraded clutch, ECU remapping and supersrint stage and stage 2 come to mind in that order.

I am based in Auckland and would enjoy meeting up with some other E39 M5 owners to share mod ideas etc.

Anyhow, thanks in advice...

BMW for life!

Here he is...

post-16012-1321306776.jpg

Very nice, I love the look of E39's in this colour. Definitely needs some euro plates though. Any chance of more pics?

A very nice car. Great to get a late model with such low km's. Congratulations

Great colour - looks like LeMans Blue. Mine is Avus Blue. Look forward to driving it every time!

welcome blair. very sweet ride ;)

Always good to see another E39 M5 member.

It will be interesting to see how your car progresses. Hit us up if you need any advice.

Yes, LeMans Blue. I'll take some more photos this weekend. Gonna take him for a blast down to the Tron...

Love the colour. The e39 m5 is my favourite of the 5 series. epic v8

^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he says. Love them. Welcome

mmmmmmmm Stunning car - enjoy :) Me envious

I'm envious too! Best looking M5 model of them all and a great colour. Oh if I had a bigger chequebook! ;)

Wow! Stunning example! Truly envious. If only I had the money to buy such a car when I was looking...

Hi there Blair,

Lovely car, and a superb colour.

Was this the E39 M5 for sale in Wellington earlier this year or was it the one marketed out of Auckland? I am figuring it is one of the two. The one in Auckland was owned by a friend of mine who sold it with a personalised plate which makes me think this could be the Wellington car?

Either way congrats - what a beast!

I have another friend who bought one in Lemans blue this year. He is a M-power freak and waxes lyrical about his E39 M5 everytime we speak.

Well done. I would like to have one in the future.

Very cool car mate!

I just bought a 2002 530i M-sport in the exact same le-mans blue colour. Absolutely love it!

I can fully see myself following in your shoes and moving to a E39 M5 in the next couple years... Although when looking for a low km's, good condition one... VERY HARD TO FIND!!!

Would be very keen to catch up one day and see what I'm missing out on. Notably the power and handling differences.

What would you say are the major differences from your old 530M?

Also noticed that the front grill is black instead of polished, is this a factory thing or ?

Meanwhile I'll just leave this here (Top Gear original M5 review, Tiff Niddell):

P.S - moderator, do you guys have a way of embedding youtube clips in this forum?

Welcome mate, we're getting quite the M collection now. Will make for a good photo op

• Like 1

@ssbmw

Thanks mate.

WTF did your replace his E39 M5 with? I hope he got the price he was looking for. I think he was asking for $50k? for a 2001 model correct?

I'm the proud 4th owner of this car.

It is NZ new and was originally purchased in Aug 2003.

I believe their were 5 M5's sold that year new in NZ. This was the last one sold.

BMW Wellington informs me there is about 30 M5's in the country (well there was back in April :D ).

The original owner was a yoga company!?!

They sold it to a person based in Wellington, who was very helpful when I was looking to purchase this vehicle. He is a member here also.

The 3rd owner was also based in Wellington. He was also excellent to deal with and had truly treated this car like a God in terms of maintainance and conditioning. He collects cars...

I got BMW Wellington and an independent inspection prior to purchase and they both were absolutely impressed by the outstanding condition of the vehicle.

As stated, I intend to replace the clutch as it is the weak point of the car and feel a little slippage from 3rd to 4th. This is normal for a car with 60 k on it. The stock E39 M5 clutch ain't the best so I'll look elsewhere. Apparently upgrading from a stock clutch and flywheel makes a huge difference to the already staggering performance of this car. Opinions from members would be most welcome.

It is now back up and garaged in Auckland. I drive it once a week for approx 20km or so. I expect that I'll do about 6000 k a year. He gets polished "everytime" I use him... There a some great hand applicators out there atm and with the use of a micro fibre cloth it is an effortless 4 min job to make your car look mint everytime you use it. I can't remember the last time I actually had to wash my car because of this technique.

Originally I was looking at an M3 but I'm glad I didn't... purely from an aesthetic point of view the E39 M5 is a classic. It is an absolutely beautiful car. Whilst, it may not be the track beast that M3 is, it absolutely eats the road as a touring car and 4 people can do it in comfort! Most of the time they are blissfully unaware of how fast the car is exactly going...

@DaveO

In terms of comparing it to my old 530M 2001.

First off. I can recommend buying an E39 530M to anyone. That vehicle is such a smooth ride. Well done on your purchase. If you buy well (which I am sure you have) it will provide you with years of enjoyable motoring. I brought ours 3 year ago with 45000km on the cloak, did an additional 45000kms and I didn't to spend a cent on it. Great car, that my wife misses dearly as she finds the E39 M5 manual trans too aggressive. This really doesn't worry me as she now never drives the "beast" :lol: .

I could go on about comparing a the 530M with the E39 M5, but at the end of the day one a is a super car and one isn't. They really do feel/drive "completely" differently on every level. Simply put, the day I flew down from Auckland to Wellington to drive the car back up was something special... The first time you floor it to overtake, or the first time you press that sport button with stab control off and give the "beast" some beans are moments of pure joy...Puts a smile on my dial everytime...

Hi Blair,

Nice car - I thought it was the Wellington car.

My friend owned his E39 M5 around a year or so. He is a car enthusiast and always wanted one - but it had to be in near-new condition. He tracked a car down that he had heard of that was owned by an Auckland lawyer. The car was purchased from him in fantastic condition. However, during his ownership he improved this car to a level that I would call show-room condition. It was incredible. Underside, everywhere. My friend though, satisfied with his handi-work then sold the car for possibly a bit more than you alluded to. I think he may have clocked less than a 1000kms on the car within a year. Anecdotally, sold to a guy in Howick who always wanted one and is thrilled to bits with his new acquisition too.

He has now bought a very nice top end Porsche which will be probably driven for a few 100kms, improved to like new, and then sold again. He loves his cars but sells them rapidly.

I think there was another Lemans blue E39 M5 for sale for awhile in Auckland for around the low $40k car mark. My friend looked at that but wasn't sold on it.

Another facelift 2003 blue example was bought by another friend in May. His car was bought in Hamilton - had 150,000kms but in very tidy condition . It replaced his E34 M5. His one has the blue/black interior. He is smitten by his car. Loves it.

Sounds like they get addictive!

speaking from experience. This is all true.

There's nothing quite like a M5, looking around I couldn't think of anything that would quite replace it.

My car still looks and drives like it has 80k on the clock not 80,000. Everything still works, perfectly.

And there's nothing quite like 3rd gear with your foot buried.

Always brings a smile. I highly recommend it.

More pics from my phone's camera... Sunday drive from Auckland to the Tron....

post-16012-1321869862.jpg

post-16012-1321869873.jpg

post-16012-1321869884.jpg

post-16012-1321869893.jpg

wow.. absolutely beautiful car. Love it.

I have a 528i E39 now and am hoping to get an m5 like yours after I graduate uni.

Very good find as these are ultra rare these days!