Sign in to follow this  
Heino

My E46 build

Don't bag it its not a good idea for two reasons.

Geometery .. it will really ride like crap because the bag is soft then hard under compression instead of being linear or progressive in nature. Also trying to fix the camber/bump steer issues it will create.

e36 and e46 subframe and unibody strength issues. Youll just crack them after time doing it.

I'm really not anti doing this sort of stuff, more the fact that dont want to see you head off down a road you'll regret later on.

Okay these are all valid reasons as to why not to bag it. Thanks guys :)

the bag is soft then hard under compression instead of being linear or progressive in nature.

Progressive? You mean like soft, progressively getting harder??? like a spring does? Ummm...

A decent air bag setup will ride nicer than springs, for this exact reason. They are MORE progressive than a spring - softer over small bumps harder at more compression.

Even driven a old Rolls? They're nice riding, on air. Lexus LS400, Toyota Crown etc etc

They have a varible unpredicable rate as they compress. This can upset how a car handles and therefor are not good if your wanting good hadling. They also dont take too long to wear out vs a good steel spring.

Realistically on an e46 its a bad thing.

The only reason people use bags is to raise or lower the cars ride height on the fly. There are many issues with this in day to day driving and TBH it can be dangerous because that lovely wheel alignment you had with correct camber and a defined ride height is suddenly not so great when you driving around as low as possible and will cause a car to get jittery around a corner or 'darty'. This on a wet day with oil on the road will cause you to understeer and oversteer. EG its dangerous.

all fair comments josh but if you have it done right and drive at a good height and to the conditions there is nothing at all wrong with air, in fact i would rather the air for daily commuting. looks great when parked and ride with no stress of damage.

drive at a good height and to the conditions

I think this is the key!

Theres a bunch of bad installs giving air a bad name - there are a great deal of luxury cars with air springs (and buses etc for that matter!). A good install can give a low stance when required, but that's not normally where you'd drive it! It the bumpstops in most installs giving the bad ride!

There's many a steel sprung low car which sits really low, and handles like a bag of arse and there's nothing you can do except change springs. The air gives you options.

your car is looking awesome :)

really makes me want an E46

also if its done "RIGHT" you will have no problems with suspension or chassis points...

Ive got some genuine 17 inch BBS RS's if you feel like adapting 5x114?

That will look sh*t house IMO. looks awesome as is.

She's for sale !! :) I like to build cars and when they done I have got a new idea! Another bug has but me and I'm building a surprise for the next stance off!! So this is now for sale!!!

I want to build and sell cars as a living :)

I want to build and sell cars as a living :)

Thats how i paid for my degree.

I was going to say throw these on, but if your selling it then good luck.

How much?

Pm me if interested.

I can't believe you are selling it already - it looks so hot! Have you got any more photos from the weekend?

I can't believe you are selling it already - it looks so hot! Have you got any more photos from the weekend?

I have afew photos yes, and if i dont get what i want for it i wont be selling it.

Also update!

-NEW whiteline Adjustable Rear swaybar has now gone in!

-12mm slip ons for shows arrived monday!

-Black roof!

-Custom wrapped center caps!

Black roof?

You won't make any money building and then selling cars these days, you'll spend more than you make.

Black roof?

You won't make any money building and then selling cars these days, you'll spend more than you make.

So true unfortunately, especially this sort of modification.

Vinyl wrapped roof, and owell ive always made money on my cars..... and its a passion to build unique cars so the next one is something that has never been done in NZ at all or really done much anywhere.